Twins - is there a forumla?

David Ashby - Moderator

OK, I've just about finished a big electric twin and while power should be adequate I've been told not to worry as the doubling up on power with a twin sort of over-compensates. There's a sort of twin 'rule' out there that helps?

Now I'm probably articulating hat badly and I've tried a few searches but I can't find any written fact or name of the theory or phenomena that this is down to. I wondered if any of you bright spakrs have heard of this or could point me in the right direction?  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 14/10/2009 19:54:23

Advert

Power to weight ratio? if its electric i guess if you have faliure both pops are going to stop and the pilots going to sweat! If it's IC could it sustain altitude on one engine failing the other/with a lot of rudder etc

1. twin flying on 1 engine = brick that is flyable
2. twin on 2 engines working= flying machine
3.power/weight ratio 

Thanks guys...er and Martin  - it's twin electric so an engine-out wont be a problem. It's the ASM TIgercat - weighs 20lbs with 1600 watts on tap which is 80 per lb but a few learned sources have said that's ok because you get proportionately more bang for your buck with a twin. Sort of in the way both motors are sharing the airframes drag - as I say it's a theory thing that a few guys have touched on but have been unable to elaborate.

Twins do have more power than the equivelant single. Never seen the formula but I look at it this way.

The engine rpm is roughly the same for two .15s as one .30 but the if you look at the area of the propeller discs the two .15s have far more .

two 8" diameter props have an area of  100.54 sq.in while one 10" diameter prop only has an area of 78.53 so the the 10" is only 78.42 of the prop area.

Depends how you wire it up with regards to losing a motor, if both are running off one battery and both ESC's are set up to reduce power at LVC in theory both motors should quit at the same time just like a single motored plane. If you are running independant batteries, 1 per motor then you could have one quit on you with the other still running.

80W per lb doesn't sound a lot but I guess their being a lot less airframe behind the prop should help as you and others have eluded to. Are you running one of the motors backwards with a pusher prop to be torque neutral?

Tom

Thanks Martin, yup sorry wasn't trying to be dismissive. Thanks guys.

I was sitting there last night before the test flight today and starting to hyper-ventilate (worry a big bit) about the model, I'd done all the sums but you know what what it's like.

First flights were today and they went very well - pretty awesome in fact. The AUW is 20lbs with 1600 watts on tap (2 x E-flite power 60's with 14x10s - can't bet any bigger props because of ground clearance) -  but she tore round impressively at just half throttle. 2 x 6S Li-po, one in each nachelle. Daddy is very pleased.

Does indeed Tim, particularly as it went so well, she was smooth, fast and everything you'd want from a warbird.

Just re-charged the 6S 3800mAH packs and put back just 1500mAH for a 6-min flight so they should be good for a comfortable 10 mins.

Tony, it's the ASM TIgerCat distributed by Ripmax. An 'ARTF' although she needs a fair amount of work and I've got a little more to do - I left the steerable side of the nose leg and a few other details to try and minimise the number of things that might trip up proceedings.   

Didn't the Tigercats have three-bladers Simon?

I was very concerned a month ago when the retracts arrived (late) to find that the 16" props I had earmarked for the Power 60s were too big and so the 600Kv motors would be doing a lot less with the 14x10s. The Power 60 is a bit of a beast and with a 16x8 I had measured 1kw per side! I had considered re-motoring the model but someone said fly her first and see and by today's showing the 14x10s are plenty sufficient.

I would have liked 3-bladers but trying to find some isn't easy. I'm going to look up some master electric props next as they look much better than the APCs.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 15/10/2009 20:33:06