Are we all hoaders (or is it just me?)

Having recently returned from the Weston Park Show with four new kits (they were a bargain dear!)to add to the already large amount of unbuilt models, engines, rc equipment etc. etc. I have & will probably never get round to completing, I wondered whether it is just me or do others suffer(?) from this affliction.
I justify mine as being something to do when I retire (still a fair way off at 48)& maybe shorter of funds/richer in time.
I think it all stems from many years ago (early 70's) when all my modelling (FF gliders, rubber & later C/L)was done on a shoestring, engines & kits were Christmas or birthday presents & nothing was wasted. I remember stripping & splicing wood from 10p balsa bargain packs (I think they are about £2.50 now) to make useful lengths for building.
Perhaps I am just storing away in this time of relative plenty or am I just deluding myself & suffer from an illness with no cure?

Advert

Mark
Don't worry it's perfectly normal!
I think i have about 25 kits in the loft waiting to build, whenever I see a bargain, new or second hand (Ebay is wonderful!) I just buy it. I keep telling myself they are ready for when I retire, but the way I am going I will have to live to 120 to build them all.

Hmmm, just bought 3 brushless motors off ebay. They haven't got a home as yet, but they were too much of a bargain not to. I also have old engines from the 60's and my old radio gear sets......why??? I'll never use them, but I can't bring myself to part with the stuff. Sad, I know!
Guess I'm a convicted hoarder then!

Hi All,

Glad to see i'm not alone! Mind you, I didn't think I would be somehow!
What would the sellers do withous us?
I do seem to have it bad though-purchases in the last 12 months include:
5 Replikit C/L & F/F kits when they sold their KK branded stuff at half price,
Sportsman ARTF 60 size Spitfire, C.A.P. Zero, Ben Buckle Majestic Major & Red Zephyr, all off Ebay,
Electric ARTF Mustang & Overlander Tucano from a swapmeet,
More recently, West Wings Cub, Ben Buckle Mini Super, Super 60 & Elf Biplane all half price at Weston Park. I just couldn't resist them!!!
& I still look at Ebay most days!!

I haven't got on to the engines yet, but I am sure you get the picture-I still have NIB a Svenson 1/4 scale Stampe bought as fire stained salvage from Jim Davis's stock after the fire (anyone remember that?)in Birmingham back in the early 80s!

hi guys
i read this thread to the wife who gave me one of those long suffering "tell me about it " looks ...sounds very familiar she said.

I guess all the reasons are true but it would take a lot of the fun out of the shows if we couldnt come away with a bargain or two...Weston was a danger to we bargain hunters because what else could we do when it was raining ?..... I came away with 2 kits ,1 new engine and a bagful of
"essential" bits and pieces (my bank manager was relieved that I couldnt go Wings and Wheels but I havent told him that I am going to Woodvale ......he needs his sleep!
I have now retired but looking at my stock of kits I am reminded of that quip...."I was put on this earth to achieve certain things but I am now so far behind I will have to live forever"

Peter
I've done that as well! Talk about Murphy's law !It's been happening all my life HOWEVER now all my bits & bobs are in France I've started to not miss them & have re -started my collection of potentially useful items I daren't part with (her last indoors lives there in what was my house I'd built for her _she won't send me all my R/C gear ,engines ,& models etc .She says the authorities there won't post it" 'cos of potential bomb making equipment involved ") I'll leave you to work that one out !Now I reside in my camper van / bar balsa bashing everyday (not a lot of room for essential bits & bobs like useful wood & glues etc & other non-essential items like food)I hope to re-establish my hoard of future useable items soon

Forgot to say what a lovely plan of yours I saw for the first time this morning for the CAP.I have so many unflown aircraft at this time & promised myself I wouldn't build any more this year BUT I fancy a 30 fs To go in a couple of other A/C so you've given me an excuse to build One more & i've seen sale price engines in the mag.
I have also built a couple of trainers with inclined engines .I thought I was the only one doing it .The perfect compromise as far as I'm concerned - every thing is easier isn't it Fuel pipes ,needle valve,throttle connection ,glow connection Etc.

Personally I don't think that the CAP would be that good with a 30 FS, it needs more power, Go with a 32 two stroke.
If you want to use a .30 FS in a really nice model look on next months RCMW (I am sorry about that but...) My Fournier is ideal.
I always knew that there was a good reason for not getting married.

Peter
You are lucky
You can't be happy all your life !One has to get married at least once to appreciate the downfalls involved ( hindsight comes to mind ).Thanks for the info .It's just that I've built 8 models this year & want to try to get (on my limited budget ) to have another engine I can use between them all .Hence I thought of your CAP & my Flair Cub & a home build design & my version of "ruperts dad" designed for a 50'odd 4st allegedly & my nearly finished Flair Puppeteer( SC52 fs )Incidentally I am getting turned on by 4st's 'cos of the noise factor only .Please don't tell me to go 'lectric .Down Cornwall we don't even have coal
Grumpy Myron .

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All, If you don't get married how do you expect to remember how happy you once were! Seriously though chaps marriage can be good for you, i'm on my second one( 31years now) She pulled me through three stokes and a heart attack so I'll not complain.
"A THING MY FATHER TOLD ME" he said son the single man puts his hand in his pocket to see how much money he's got!! the married one does it to see if he's GOT ANY!! This posting has gone right off track.
Good night all..Allan J..

• 1 year later...

I too stacked up stuff for retirement  but ....

when you retire , time compresses and passes at an enormous rate

your wife suddenly finds all these jobs around the house and garden which you said you would do when you retire

your children / grandchildren decide now that you have time on your hands that you can do even more for or  with them

moral - start building all these models now