James May (Playboy)

Garry Pollard

Advert

Out of the three on the programme he's done best with the experiences, the SR-71 and now the Spit- the other two can't claim much more than some fast, uncomfortable cars - unless you count bouncing across a field at 300mph or having a pile of horse manure dumped on your doorstep, that is.......

Pete

By the way, I've still got an unopened Golden Hind kit (in the poly bag packaging) tucked away somewhere!

Edited By Pete B on 27/10/2009 23:28:30

I grew up on a staple diet of Airfix kits so enjoyed the programme. Talking of warbird rides, We were at Headcorn (Kent) on Sunday and BBD took up a chap on a pleasure flight - no wonder he looks happy, a very lucky gentleman.

I'm always amazed at the size of the flaps on the P-51

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin/Mod on 28/10/2009 05:40:47

I really enjoyed the programme, as a lifelong love of aeroplanes was sparked by an Airfix Spitfire which my mother bought me to keep me amused when I was ill in bed aged about 10. 

As JM said, it was the included data about the real aircraft that was so genuinely educational and gave added value out of all proportion to the cost.  In my case it also triggered a thirst for WW2 historical information (Dads didn't seem willing to talk about it much but it was very recent history to "baby-boom" youngsters in the 1950s).

It also kept me firmly focused on prop-power - jets never had the same appeal for me and always seemed somehow sterile by comparison to the warbirds of WW2.

The other thing that made me laugh was the mention of shooting them up with an air rifle!  (Guilty m'Lord - hung them from the washing line!).  In the end I had hundreds, and that's how I thinned out the ones my mother damaged (accidentally-on-purpose?) while dusting!

The other point of note for me was the Airfix "Spares Dept".  As I began to realise what a pathetic job I had made of painting the early ones I decided to repaint them and wrote to Airfix asking if they would sell me new decals for them all.  They sent me free of charge a big envelope with decals from just about every model they made at that time, and in doing so won my total loyalty and my pocket-money for years to come!

I watched the programme too. I really enjoyed it. My girlfriend actually said after "I wouldn't mind having a go at an airfix kit"!
I quite like JM, if i had a load of cash i'd probably spend it on things that he does, classic cars, bikes and flying! He comes to the Thundersprint here in Northwich and brings his classic bikes with him, top bloke I say.
Think i'll have to revisit my school days and get that P51 in 1/72 scale.

Great photos by the way David. Do you have anymore full size warbird pics to post? Maybe someone could start a Full size pics thread??

Iain.

Yep, happy memories for me too DW. I worked my way through the series 1 & 2's etc. in the 1970's. Still got the catalogues too.

Was looking at some kits in the LMS the other day and they have a range that's pre-painted would you believe! Painted on the spruce so all you do is assemble it and the paint job was very impressive. That's progress I guess

Met Roy Cross a few years back. He painted the kit boxes for many years - a wonderful gent and hugely talented too.

We fly near Headcorn Iain so yes - always got afew pics of the full size. A thread sounds like a good idea - what about a full size forum area? Do you remember the Airfix Superkit P-51 - 1/24th scale wasn't it?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin/Mod on 28/10/2009 08:24:42

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin/Mod on 28/10/2009 08:26:01

Sounds brilliant David. I'm sure I could find a few nice pics from the flying legends airshows that i've been.

Great story RW.

I think it is our duty now to all build ourselves a 1/72 aircraft! I bet the programme has done wonders for Airfix sales, I actually went on their website (well tried) last night after the programme but could't get on! I think the server or what ever it is was very busy!

I was never keen on plastic kits but the program was great.

Talking of the history with each model, what about the little girl who, when told about that asked "Was he mad!"  It makes you want ot weep.

KNowing the history of any modelled subject make it all the more interesting.

It was interesting that in the end they did enjoy the challenge, especially when left to get on with it themselves. There was at least one new  modeller out of that lot.

My last job was as a technician in a Craft, Desing and Technology Department in an upper school.

The last year I was there  (1991)  the department ran a huge activity day with all sorts of thing brought in from pottery, through amatuer radio etc.

Needless  to say I was roped in to put on a display of modelling including a video of scale models flying.

A complete new intake of 13 year olds  came through, only two showed any interest whatsoever and asked questions to put on their clipboard. I also had a stack of magazines to give away. Not one went.

I gave up at that point.

One or two youngsters did do a little in the class. I had one lad who designed a rubber powered model that flew really well.

About the teenagers. My neighbours have a 14 year old lad. When they moved in 2 years ago (he was 12 then) they saw me coming back from a flying session. I was unloading my car when they came over and his dad started asking loads of questions about the hobby, the young lad was more interested in how much everything cost! I showed them a few models, gave a quick look around my hangar and gave them a few old magazines. Really interested he said he would like a plane and did I know of any cheap ones to get them started. I managed to source them a ripmax trainer with tx and all the gubbings for £70, bargain. They came to the field once. I set the plane up, flew it, buddied them both for a few flights, they loved it. I told them they'd need insurance from now on and club membership, and not to go flying on they're own or they could be injured or break something!

I spoke to the young lad's mum a few weeks back asking why they haven't kept it up and if they want to join the club. "how much is it, with insurance" was the reply. Once I told her she said "oh" long pause, "he wants a new computer game"!!

What's all this about "painted the boxes" David?

You young whipper-snappers today!!!

They came in polythene bags mate!   With a header-sheet folded and stapled to the top with the picture on the front, data on the back and you had to unstaple it carefully and open it up as the instructions and explosion diagrams were all inside.  And all the single-engined model aircraft were 2 bob (10p).    Boxes were only for the big-'uns like the Lancaster (7/6d - that's about 35p today) and Sunderland (12/6d - or 65p in "new" money).  

I remember the Sunderland coming out, and it was their biggest and most expensive at the time (I had to have one of course so had to save up my pocket money).  I saw one the other day in a toy shop and you'd need a second mortgage to buy one today!

Don't really wish to be contentious but my admiration goes to the guys in Cornwall that made the moulds to make the final parts to be stuck together with silicone with the aid of good old show business organisation of all the military & other "bods" that just happened to be around .
What a shame, given the oportunity, that that there wasn't even a passing reference to real modellers ,& maybe a shot or two of a nice flying example would have encouraged more interest in our hobby .
Personally speaking all my "non-flying" models were carved from wood -Never tried "assembling " bits of preformed plastic . Bit like ARTf's isn't it ?.
Bet I get Moderated! .

My son watched the programme with me and has added an airfix kit to his christmas list.
I'm the same age as James May so his trip down memory lane reminds me of my own childhood.I built loads of airfix kits(and destroyed them with with fire and air rifles!)
Great pictures David of "Big Beautiful Doll".I live about 4 miles from its airstrip and get a regular display.Its a shame Woodchurch Wings and Things show is no more. I go to Headcorn occasionally and have seen it and others.I've been up in ACDC-superb.Have you paid your £1 and had a guided tour of the hangar?There's not much too see only Turbulents,Stampes,Tiger Moths etc.
I agree with Ken,James does need a haircut!

I think the way forward is to have all the kids build the games consols from a kit.I,ve got 3 lads and none of them is interested in building or repairing anything.I,ve tried getting them basic stuff when they were little (airfix,westwings kits etc.)and they have all looked at them as if they have just done somthing nasty on the floor in front of them.Its a shame because now when the eldests car needs an oil change or they need somthing mending they dont have the confidence to just have a look and figure it out like we used to . Schools dont help matters with the health and safety police not allowing the use of sharp things like knives and saws so the level of practical skills in youths is now almost zero....rant over..... 

Sounds like a good show. Don't get BBC 2 here but they do show old top gears on discovery so I may get to see it.

Don't blame the youf of today. In my school  (1970's) out of many hundreds of children there were only three modelers , and only one ever joined the local club... me.

Now then. I have a PS 2 and it is jolly ace, and I have to say that I have always LOVED computer games, and they have never put me off flying.  BUT I do like the PS controller and I have often thought that it would be great for flying RC, ergonomically it is far superior to any TX. Any electro bods ever found a way of fitting one to a TX ? Would be interesting to try.... Timbo ???

GO well , F