RCM&E event?

Ross Clarkson

Advert

Hi
A couple of thoughts come to mind re the RCME fly in.
1. Its not going to be in the next fortnight, so could this not spur some members who have not got the A to go for it as soon as possible
2. If there is a good attendance, as I hope there will, surly the experianced fliers will not be flying all day long, and can give a little time up to help the people who havnt got their A. That is what normally happens at a club flying session, and I for one would be only too pleased to assist
Garry

Exactly Ross. Its not just about the 'fly in' its also a chance to say hello to people and see others peoples models and get ideas etc... There could be a swap meet too and a few stalls to browse round. I'm sure some nice scale models and part builds to view

Iain.

C'mon Peter, there are plenty of clubs in your area that you could either arrange to visit or an examiner in one who'd come out to your club - the cost for his petrol and a pint at the Elephant and Castle would be the maximum cost!

Do the B test at the same time and the world will be your oyster!

In fact, do your B and after 6 months you'd be eligible to apply for an examiner's test yourself if your club supports you...

While interesting, the A cert debate is a bit academic at this stage. Surely, if RCM&E do brand the event - which we hope they will! - then their corporate insurance people will have a view on public liability insurance I guess and that will decide whether they have to ask for an A or not I would think. So we'll just have to wait and see.

BEB

Ross,
Whilst I fully suport your post about the RCM&E event, and would myself attend, I feel the idea is a bit dead in the water. My reason for this observation is that there has been over 800 views and only 10 to 12 people who have said they would definatly attend. If this is to come to fruition I feel someone should take it by the scruff of the neck and make it happen.
Garry

OK, concrete proposals.

First of all let's not be over ambitious to start - I think some of the bigger ideas are frightening people off coming forward. And if we start small and its sucessful, it can always grow in future years. By keeping it small to start with it makes the admin simple and removes any financial risks.

Limit the numbers to say 30 to start. Pre booking essentail. First come, first served.

make a small charge - say £5 - to be donated to the host club as a "thank you".

Don't worry about trade stalls, catering etc. bring "butties" or sticky buns at your choice. Its just a day down the field - except with a different crowd of mates.

Those 30 set up a thread here, agree a date and a venue and just "do it". Doesn't have to be dead official, doesn't even need official RCM&E endorsement (although it would be nice - obviously if we don't have RCM&E endorsment we don't use their name, so we call it the "forumite fly in"!)

I can't offer a venue as we fly on public land, and we are not very central - but surely some club would be prepared to host? Any club chairmen out there who can help? I would be prepered to help with other aspects of the organisation, and if we have two or three other "Helpers" - and a venue - we're there.

If it works, it works, and next year we can be a bit more ambitious. If it doesn't work, well we gave it a go.

BEB

several concerns come to mind here--after the first flush of enthusiasm-by the time comes there will be a fair percentage who will be on hol /have other plans/commitments...a fair few will after the first flush..not be bothered after all...the weather will put a fair amount off if it's a crepe forecast...and most important the siting of the venue and the cost.......now it's not cheap to travel to anywhere involving a fair distance...a lot of these things are the flip side of the positive stuff......leaving the organiser's with one massive Headache...............

i'd go for elvington airfield...good/middle of the country location and possibly camping available for the likes of timbo and asher's etc.....  

my view ken anderson.......ne organiser no 1.

Edited By ken anderson. on 23/01/2010 10:07:19

I agree Ross, let's see what the RCM&E lads come up with - hopefully they'll be able to convince "the shirts" its a good idea. In my experience it nearly always comes down to that

But the prospect is very exciting. It would be great fun.

I totally agree with your points too Ken which was why I was proposing making it fairly "low key" to start with and see how it goes. Minimum (like zero!) financial outlay upfront, minimum (er...zero again!) "special" facilities etc. Just; us, the sun, some models (planes that is - though if you want to bring the other sort that's OK with me!) and a big bag of sticky buns - bliss  

BEB

yeah would be good im a northerner Harrogate but moved south to where my wife is from some time ago used to attend the model engineer exhibtion in Harrogate but its to far away now, but the south has it all down here i still cant believe at our club we fly from a real runway ww2 american base dissued, with regards an RCM and E event yeah i would be the first to buy tickets be nice to put some faces to the names.kind regards mike