RCM&E event?

Ross Clarkson

Advert

I dunno about not attracting a trade presence - we'll all be there (not to mention Stephen "how much is it - I'll buy it "Grigg. We are the buying public! How do you think RCM&E attracts all that advertising in the mag? So to traders I'd say "get there or miss one major opportunity"! Organising club could cover its costs with the trade stand fees, entry fee from ordinary flyers to charity. Simples.

Could be real fun.

BEB

PS Just need RCM&E to brand it, and a club to host it.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 07/01/2010 01:08:25

I think you'd be suprised at the trade response, always looking for good shows to attend and RCMW support/run the wings n wheels event which is great (apart from no showers and some oik stealing stock from us when we weren't looking) and they (RCMW) make money from it otherwise thye wouldn't do it,.

I've said to the RCM&E guys before it would be fab if they did a show - we'd travel for it.

I am all for a central location, the centre of the mainland of the UK must be somewhere between Manchester and Leeds.

The road links are far better on the west coast and giving due consideration for H&S, The North West must surely be the ideal location.

Haydock park seems to be just perfect, straight of the M6.

All that needs to happen now is for the Ashbys to sell the idea to My hobby store? Perhaps a combined model engineering, wood  working, in conjunction with advanced needle work will cover all the titles

Erfolg 

• 2 weeks later...
OK, thought I'd "bump" this post back up again.

Is anyone interested, or is it dead in the water?

My own view is that there would be no point in trying to put on a big show. That's already covered (by the Big Shows )

However, a mag or forum fly in would be fun. Make it non competitive, so as not to scare off average minus fliers (i.e. me), but no harm in having some ad hoc prizes for, say, RCM&E plan models that are flown, or just brought along. Just an idea...

As i mentioned it, i am well up for it. I think a general fly-in type day with maybe some organisation and other things to do needs to happen.

Would be a great day. Just need RCM&E to let us know what they really think?

I mentioned it as i would just like to meet and fly with people we always talk to online but for some of us, will never meet.

Posted by IanN on 20/01/2010 00:13:58:
OK, thought I'd "bump" this post back up again.

Is anyone interested, or is it dead in the water?

My own view is that there would be no point in trying to put on a big show. That's already covered (by the Big Shows )

However, a mag or forum fly in would be fun. Make it non competitive, so as not to scare off average minus fliers (i.e. me), but no harm in having some ad hoc prizes for, say, RCM&E plan models that are flown, or just brought along. Just an idea...

Agree Ian, we're making some enquiries about a fly-in, news when I have some.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 20/01/2010 06:36:19

I'm well up for an RCME fly in. Everyone on the forum will get to meet up and put a face to the name. It would also be a good opportunity for all the WIP to be shown off. I would imagine there could be a huge static display and everyone with 'A' cert and above could have a fly

Cosford would be an awesome venue too.

Damn, i'll need an A certificate then this aint bloomin fair I actually don't have anywhere i can get an A round here, i cant drive by myself yet so i cant got to one of those old warden things, we don't have any instructors in our 'club'.

Waahhhhh wahhh ;(

j/k im not actually crying

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 20/01/2010 12:44:57

I also think an imformal 'fly in' would be a excelent idea.

Peter, as I understand it ,you don't need an instructor in your club to get examined.  Your club officials should be able to arrange  for a BMFA examiner to visit and conduct an A test.  Though I would presume this relies on you being a BMFA member.

In the middle of winter the thought of a flyin in the summer gets the old juices flowing but the pragmatist in me says that just possibly the support may evaporate with the fine weather ( umm, that's if we get some ).

My suggestion would be for rcme to sponsor an existing flyin, eg north cotswold mac do a belter in august and I'd bet they'd love a few score extra turning up, similarly the hastings club have two flyins a year and they are the dogs dangly bits too but not so central.

The only advice I would offer is don't make it a free for all, restrict numbers to a "reasonable" level and have a stand-by list - if you are going to make a charge make it payable up front, you'll have less drop outs then and you'll be able to make an accurate assessment of the facilities you need, eg toilets, bar(?) hog roast, camping space, generators etc. BTW Old Warden is pretty good but commands a high rental.