Flying in Freezing weather

Advert

Wear thin tite fitting gloves when flying, if you can. Keep your body very worm. I ware thermal underwear 2 pairs of trousers, Shirt 2 fleeces 2 pairs of socks and walking boots, hat scarf thick gloves (when not flying) and over all that a thick all in one fishing suit.

Tosty 

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 07/01/2010 19:04:09

I've struggled with this in past years but for the first time I feel like I've cracked it this year.  Using a combination of fingerless gloves and a transmitter cover (the type you slide your arms into the side of), I can fly without getting cold hands.  I also invested in a Blazewear heated coat which is great until the lipo battery runs out.

So now I'm all set - except my feet have been getting cold!  There's always something, eh?!

Chris
You would rapidly discharge your car battery and then you would be really cold.  Better to just run the engine with the heater on.

I am very lucky that I use a field at my house so can return into the heat more rapidly and what's better can get instant inner warmth, with a wee low flier, without worrying to drive.

I have been having some superb flights in still clear skies

The past few weeks I've been wearing multiple layers of sweater under my heavy jacket, heavy hiking boots, and woollen gloves.  I tried fingerless, but my fingers got cold.  Since I fly with my thumbs on top of the sticks, I don't find the layer of wool between finger and stick makes much difference to my flying.

Another thing to take care of in cold weather is your batteries, especially if you're flying electric.  I now take mine to the field in an insulated box to keep them warm until I need to use them.

hello christopher-if you are serious about flying in all weather's i would have a look in machine mart at the all weather suit's they sell....£40.00---wind proof etc.....that is a good start to protect yourself fom the element's......check out some of my photo's in my album's you'll see me with a one on.....they do what they say on the packet.........

ken anderson.....

Maplins have a range of heated waistcoats, hats, gloves and insoles. I haven't used them and wondered if any body had??? I tend to use the many thin layers method. That way you can regulate your heat with out being HOT or COLD with 1 thick jacket. i also have a stash of those char stick heaters ...great stuff but a bit smelly. Who cares as longs as ya warm.

Pop down to the local Anglers Supply shop and get yourself of Neoprene gloves.  Better than fingerless gloves i.e.

Thinner than Thinsulates.  Allowing better stick control.  There are thinner ones available, allowing more sensitivety.  You just have to shop around.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 07/01/2010 21:38:21

only fingerless gloves otherwise you don't have the necessary feeling. To all cold weather pilots: Think not only about yourself also think about stiff grease in the servos and loss of capacity of cold batteries!

I have some warm water bottles in my battery box - helps for some time.

my record was flying at minus 8 - but after one hour all the fools flying at that conditions escaped into the next bar.... 

VA 

I use RAF type kid leather aircrew gloves which are designed for operating switches etc. in cockpits.  They are very thin leather and tight fitting (various sizes available. Excellent feel, after a few minutes you almost forget you're wearing them. They take the edge off the cold and allow you to make a ten minute flight without numb fingers by the end.

I got mine from eBay - shop around though - they can be expensive from the wrong place - or cultivate some mates in the mob!

I've just looked on eBay and there isn't much choice there - perhaps there aren't any surplus at the moment?  But if you do see some they are worth trying.

These are like mine - there are also some black ones around but I'm not sure if they are the same - perhaps one of our serving correspondents might know?

Chris,

Like Martin say's kid leather aircrew gloves, and I wear bikers silk under gloves underneath and you still have enough feel. previous posts on all weather suits sound very practical I wear a good woolly jumper under my old flying jacket. Thermal socks,over normal thin socks, and bike boots.

Chris.

Today I was wearing three pairs of gloves, hat and balaclava, 5 layers, 2 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of socks and a scarf. I could still only manage flights of a maximum of 15 minutes before my fingers were numb. Still that's what you get for flying up a hill with estimated wind chill of -15 deg C

Where is a the best place to buy a Transmitter Mitt from?

Tom

hello fly boy3---the hinges will be no problem(mylar)is similar to the stuff milk cartons are made from.the problem this weather can have is with model batt's...if you can take them out and keep them indoor's...if not disconnect them from the model-----what can happed is -corrosion of the black wire...which will lead to ..it only happens when the wire has a current in it?--i dont know enough about it - only the fact it seem's to affect our models more when kept outside in sheds/damp/cold condition's etc...and dont let the nimh bat's totally discharge!..bet you wished you hadn't asked.........

gloom and doom anderson..........