New Turnigy LiPo connectors

NigelH

Advert

Here it is Bruce

Don't you think that the heatshrink area looks odd ?  I'm not keen to take it off to see what is under it.  Any ideas ?

I'm also experiencing more Turnigy lipo connector agro.
A couple of large packs came with the below connectors.  I wanted to use EC3 connectors so I cut one of them off and then found that it was a real pain to get the THICK battery wires into the EC3s.

So, I ordered some matching ones (for the pack, the ESC and the charger) but the problem now is, as you can see from the photo, the plastic has to be slotted onto the wires before the soldering is done.  The battery THICK wire makes this impossible.  The original ones have longer metal parts which were apparently pushed through the top after soldering, with the wire missing the internal moulding that holds the metal in place.

Anyone had any dealings with either of these connectors ?

Thanks

Nigel

I only use 3.5 mm and 4 mm gold plated connectors on all my packs, with heat shrink, so I consider anything else to be a temporary insulating item to be removed before soldering.

I have had some of the red connected tubes, but I cut them off and recycle!

I expect most others do the same with whatever connector that they have chosen?

Nigel

I have used the red housings, though my own were Green.

They were purchased from "Hillcot Electronics", they traded from somewhere near Macclesfield, by Mail Order. I believe that the business is no longer trading..

From the point of usefulness, that were very good, but expensive and not widely available within the UK. Hillcot being the sole seller I think. 

Your thoughts regarding assembly are correct. You slip the housing onto the conductors first. Then solder the bullet connectors onto the conductors. Care is needed to ensure that the conductor and connector are pretty much in-line.  I then positioned the connector into the lead into the housing. Then I placed the connectors on a wooden block at right angles. I then carefully paced long nose pliers onto the top of the housing, pressed the pliers down to get the connectors further into the housing, finally I used a very light instrument hammer to tap home the connectors flush to the front face of the housing.

Are they any good. I think they are very effective. But when no one sells them, and given there high cost, well Hmmmmm. Deans achieve the same affect at far lower cost and availability.

Erfolg

hi guys
      i would be inclined to be very careful the way these two connectors are in such close proximity to each other on the lower picture as as soon as they flash together there will be problems also if you intend installing them with a small hammer i would insulate the hammer head as not to cause a short when your tap them home these connectors will require great care when assembling to avoid shorting them out and the battery giving off the magic white smoke of lipo death, to me as a qualified sparks they look dodgy unless you know exactly what you are doing.

as it stands at the moment i'm using deans connectors up to 40 class electric and 6mm gold connectors on anything above that. i still have some packs with 4mm golds on but i'm phasing those out
steve

Edited By nasa_steve on 26/01/2010 19:24:44

Steve

I tapped the housing with the Hammer, not the connector.

You are correct regarding, care, if attaching to a Lipo. I installed one at a time in that instance. Leaving the protective cap on the last conductor until its turn to be installed.

In the instance that started the thread, the Lipo came with the plug.

Operationally they work well, except that they are more bulky than a Deans, due to the length of the two plugs when together. 

Erfolg

That isn't my lipo.  I wouldn't do that.  You're right.  One contact at a time.

I have to say that I wouldn't choose those connectors.  I moved from Deans to EC3s and I haven't looked back.

As Erfolg says, they''re bulky and I found them a pain to get the brass all the way into the plastic.

As for the yellow ones, they seem like a real mystery.

Posted by Simon Roberts on 28/01/2010 21:41:26:
The red ones are called HXT connectors, i bought a load off ebay and used them as found them easier to use thean deans style connectors.

Anything's better than Deans   I found that it wasn't easy to get the brass into the mouldings because you can't put any pressure on them without them being damaged..  I had to push them in with pliers.

• 3 years later...

I know that this is an old topic but having recently returned to model aircraft (at a ripe old age) from a sojourn with model boats I am amazed at the number of different lipo connectors. Why can't the manufacturers get their heads together and sort out an industry standard. Surely it would only mean one type of connector in two sizes to cater for lower and higher voltages. So far I have found the best ones to suit my purpose are EC3's and if I wanted larger EC5's. I find them extremely easy to solder, they can be connected and disconnected reasonably easily and, provided you take care with polarity when soldering the wires into them, there are no problems with wrong connections. XT60's are ridiculous things to have to solder and I would not consider them.

Derek B.

I think I'd rather have freedom of choice than have a standard imposed on me by some self-appointed standards committee. At least with the current (sorry, no pun intended!) system, connectors that are unpopular will sell badly and so gradually disappear off the market.

I've never used EC3s or EC5s but if that's your choice then that's fine with me. I use XT60s and have never found them to be "ridiculous things to have to solder", but if you choose not to use them then again that's your choice and I'm not going to argue with it! At least you have that choice - if everything was standardised you might be forced to use something you wouldn't normally consider...

Connector rating is more to do with current than voltage in this application.

I use XT60 and have no issue with soldering - most connectors have similar size solder buckets since they all use same size connecting wire so why would soldering be harder for XT60?

Have you tried connecting a connector pair (male & female) together and holding in a vice when soldering? This leaves your hands free and prevents distorting the plastic if you get it too hot

Changed all my Connectors for Li-Po's to the XT60 ones, having bought some from HobbyKing.

Looked up the Soldering Method on YouTube and had no problems.

Would be nice if there was an industry standard but, Hell is likely to freeze over first!

Why not make up some Adapters, using short lengths of Battery Cable from defunct Batteries. Cut each separately just in case!

Not sure if they are not already available but it is worth a search.

Ron

Many thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I have not stirred up a hornet's nest, as that was not my intention - It was just a personal comment on one of the irritants having just come back to model aircraft. The only further comment I will make is that I have soldered different connectors and I know now which I prefer.

Derek B.