RCM&E 50th anniversary fly-in

Advert

LOL Peter nice try...........

Timbo The club has its own infernal combustion trainer, courtesy of the BMFA that may be available. I am not involved in organising the event but i am sure Chris B would be able to confirm if this could be available.

I personally like the idea of a 15 minute slot per hour to give newcomers a buddy flight to see if they like it. But that's just me I have no idea what is planned.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that most if not all of our Instructors will be Involved in setting up and helping to run the event, and hopefully sneaking a quick flight.

so I don't think there will be any training available on the fun fly days. (will check and update if I am wrong)

But like Dave said further up, there is loads of time to get your  ‘A’ certs.

Edited By David Whitehouse on 14/02/2010 19:59:20

Edited By David Whitehouse on 14/02/2010 20:05:23

Good Stuff  look forward to it

No flying for me, no plans to get an A cert ,ever   .

BMFA seem happy to take my money ,so why do I need one for what is a fun fly day .

Shame to rule  people out  for the lack of an A cert. .

Kelvin 

AKA Waldo Pepper .

Hi Guys,

Just to let you all know that most, if not all of our instructors will be involved in setting up and helping to run the event... and hopefully sneaking a quick flight themselves

So I don't think there will be any training available on the fun fly days, (will double check and update if I am wrong ).

Like Dave say's further up, there's plenty of time to get your A' Certs.

Peter - contact the London Area (and National) Achievement Scheme Co-ordinator: Peter Spurway Tel; 01727-851223 and I'm sure he'll find a way to get you tested.  Why not do your B while you're at it and in 6 months time get your club to nominate you as an examiner candidate? Then you can help sort out problems like this for your clubmates!

As for the bribe required, flying safely, tidily and reading the BMFA handbook will probably suffice...

Excellent news about the fly-in!

I've flown there several times at their annual E-fly-in, and can confirm that the Greenacres lads (and ladesses) put on a tremendous event.

Not to be missed. 

FWIW It seems a little presumptuous to expect the fly-in hosts to spoon-feed an A test to visitors.  If you ain't got one, then why not just spectate?

tim

hi all
   FWIW Tim is right here guys the A is easy to get and is required by the host club before you can fly an a fly-in held at their field .as it stands the site is open to the public and the local coulcil require the A certificate as a minimum to fly solo there.
     Peter Spurway as already put forward will put you in contact with an examiner local to you we cannot get any fairer than that all you need do is fly safely and answer a few questions and an A certificate you'll have. use the link below and that will take you to the site that tells you what you'll need to do to get an A certificate.

http://www.bmfa.org/achievement/index.html

as it stands i'm not aware of any club's that hold fly-ins that will let you fly solo at their site without an A certificate as a minimum. its not a case of being pedantic its a recognised national standard that show's you are competant with a model aircraft.......much the same as driving a car legally on the road really.
nasa

It is even more fundemental than that. Our club flies in a large country park owned by the council just like the Greenacres set up. The council feel the need to "cover their backs" liability wise, but want to allow the model flying to go ahead. By insisting on a local rule that says people can only fly unaccompanied if they hold an A cert the council are content that they have covered themselves in the event of an accident. They have set a reasonable, nationally recoginised, standard of competance as the condition. A standard that is set by the recognised governing body of the sport - ie the BMFA. So that would be their defence in the result of any action.

Put simply, without this stipulation those of us that fly on council owned land simply wouldn't have our flying fields!

Peter, I think the advice to contact the local area examiner is good - go for it. I'm sure you'll find the 'A' a piece of cake. Just bone up on the safety sections in the BMFA handbook and familarise yourself with the test schedule (which is pretty basic) and it will be clear sailing for someone with your experience!

Posted by Tim Hooper on 14/02/2010 21:23:49:

FWIW It seems a little presumptuous to expect the fly-in hosts to spoon-feed an A test to visitors.  If you ain't got one, then why not just spectate?

tim

Exactly. Simple choice - either book a test and get on and do it, or don't bother (& stop complaining). The A test is a perfectly reasonable requirement.

I'm one of the very many club fliers who haven't taken the A or B. Went solo, carried on ok, no desires to fly away from my club field so never had the need.

Now I'm quite keen on this RCM&E event, and its given me the spur I needed. So, I'm going to practise the routine and book my A. If I don't make it then I've no business putting anyone else in the field on that day at risk

Edited By IanN on 14/02/2010 23:47:12

Harold - both electric and i.c. 

Guys - I think the 'A' cert debate at fly-ins has been conducted elsewhere here so it's not required here, appreciating concerns of course. The 'A' is a pretty easy test to take so, as Ian says, let it be the spur you need to come along. Flying at a new site is good experience and will broaden your horizons in ways you can't imagine - you'll be a better flyer for it    

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 15/02/2010 09:07:32

Flanker,

as long as you can remember/find your old membership number BMFA should be able to find the record. It should still be possible even with just your name and the club name - but more difficult!

BEB

PS I think they are likely to be more sympathethic about looking for your records if you explain that you live outside the UK now and that's why you are no longer a member!

Just so everyone knows what to expect:-
We always try to have as much fun ans possible at our fun fly.

However, we also have to consider visiting public,  visiting fliers and spectators, club members and also our continued use of the facility. So we run with a structure and a few rules which form the procedures that everyone that flies must stick to. Within these rules there is there is plenty of room to enjoy ourselves and they really are easy to stick to.

We have transmitter control, where ALL transmitters are kept except when flying.
We have a flight line and a flying boundary, no model must cross these lines while flying. 
We have a pilots box and flight line marshals who keep things moving. These guys are experienced at this and want us all to fly what we want how we want. But they will point out when things are not being done correctly. This is for every ones safety, and to help us stay within the rules, therefore what they say must be adhered to.
We have a huge pits area roped off from the public. Engines are not started here.
We have starting boxes - for er... starting engines. Models are carried from these to the flight line and not Taxied.
Clearance must be sought for takeoff. Low passes and landing must be called.
No one walks out on to the strip without a marshals clearance. 
Transmitters are taken back to the Tx tent straight after a flight. 

None of this is at all onerous on us pilots, and things usually run pretty smoothly.
If we have more pilots than an informal system can cope with, we move to pre booked slots. In this case pilots will have to book each 15 minute slot in advance, get the model prepared and started in the first 5 minutes of the slot and fly for the remaining 10 minutes. We can arrange "themed" slots for say warbirds or biplanes or whatever if necessary.

Please don't think this is over prescriptive, it actually works very well.

Looking forward to meeting many new friends..
Chris