Flying this weekend

Advert

Posted by Dusty on 13/03/2010 07:56:36:
Chance of snow and highs of 1 deg c here David, reckon it will be a day of building, flying on the sim, watching the Rugby later and surfing the site ...

Please send me some of your weather

It's not that brilliant at the mo' but flyable. Doing some decorating indoors this morning  so I'll see how it looks after lunch.... 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/03/2010 10:40:53

as usual/unusual we have a nice day here in god's front garden...bit windy though--i may venture to the field later for a sorti-----have had a bad run lately...yesterday my 'guppy' narrowly missed sleeping with the fishes at our local cliff's........say no more...

unlucky anderson.ne 1.

pushy cat =RIP
 blizzard=severly damaged...now repaired.
 guppy=went to visit the crab's and seaweed...now repaired..

Edited By ken anderson. on 13/03/2010 11:03:19

Just got back from the patch. Got just one flight in . Very windy here on the NW coast. Its alright in the air, its even not too bad getting in the air, its coming down when all the problems start! There are a lot of trees around the boundary of our site - very pretty but they really whip up the turbulence and also mean you can't feel the wind accurately at ground level on the flight line. Windy was cross strip and gusty, add in the turbulence from the trees and approaches were really exciting - it me three goes to get a half-way stable line and descent rate I was prepared to go with. And I was far from being the only one - most were calling at least one overshoot. In the end having got up and got down in one piece I decided to quit while I was still ahead.

Its been beautiful here all week - the weekend comes we get this - its not fair

Just got back from the patch myself too! Had a good flight with the v-trainer, and it wasn't as windy as it has been, although more then I was expecting. Alas however, after yesterdays terrible weather I thought that I would be terrible today too so didn't charge the Tx. Meant I only had enough battery to have one flight in confidence that I was being safe....  Turns out too that some people have been complaining about our site, but it'll be hard for them to get rid of us because of "junior local interest" - ie me!" Te He he he.... 

Not wind or gust I mind, but wind direction; We have a row of trees behind (about 20-30meters that is) behind our patch, which means we get alot of turbulance if the wind is coming from the wrong direction. As it is, the worst thing that happened to me today was discovering I had ran out of elevator inverted, heading for the chairman's car.... managed to "pancake" just before I hit it...

I flew this afternoon without either hat or gloves - first time since, I dunno,  November-ish? And - for a change - though it was quite breezy the wind was virtually straight down the strip.

I only had 3 flights though, as I got there a little later than intended after I'd been to Oxford and back this morning, then watched the GP qualifying (recorded, not live) whilst charging the models to take flying.  Fingers crossed for a decent day tomorrow too...

Awsome weather here in Italy - after a snowy week it looks like spring finally came.
14 °C today - but no flying. Why? Spring clean day...

Pruning the trees - but not too much as we all like the shadow

And we were rolling the field- yes we have indeed our own road roller - it is a model which may have seen the days before the second world war - and some nice guys have stolen the headlights and indicators - but it is still working and twice a year it comes out of its plastic wrappings where it stays for the rest of the year at the end of our parking lot.
But the weather forcast is good also for tomorrow and I have started charging batteries...
VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 13/03/2010 19:29:53

A few scratches itched for some of us here in sunny Wales too
After the usual hearty ASDA breakfast, Kev and the Iawnski gang of 2 and myself headed up the rock. The promised 15MPH westerly turned out to be about 10MPH northerly, so we were on the less than best north slope, but still managed a full days flying until around 4PM.
I was very happy with the newly finished SU47 ( well alright then, ripmax alienator underneath ) and she sloped pretty darn well - however opening the go stick saw her head for the upper stratrosphere like a home sick angel - 145 watts per pound being most ample.
The Jart LT got a good airing, as did everything else I took  - except the BAe hawk which had just one short and eventful "flight" ending up some 50 yards from the very wet Irish sea - remarkably little damage I am pleased to say.
The lift really was a little scratchy
Thanks Paul digitup - who jumped the wall and scrambled down the cliffs to reach her. Lots of other guys turned up, and all had a jolly good time except Zaidy who went home in a sulk
Some proper pictures will hopefuly materialize here when Mr John shutterbug Bowman gets around to it
Meanwhile, heres the AlienSU47 after her successsful sortie at circa 50,000 feet

Ha, we cross posted Phil!

The video is taken from the hospital side if the field I think - yes? We were there yesterday but the tubulance off those trees at the far side - which are about 30m behind our flight line - was murder. A really nasty gusty crosswind - I had to have three goes at getting her in on finals - and I wasn't the only one having problems either!

BEB