Apollo Moon Landings

Sheldon Holy

Personally i think YES!
Some tabloid newspaper has come along and mase up a headline of 'Moon Landings Faked' on day, to make a bit of money.
To be honest, all the reasons for it being faked are a bit stupid.
Kind of an amazing thought to travel 250,000 miles through space and be able to hide the Earth behind your thumb. It's a very interesting subject. They found rocks that are over 4.5 billion years old, 'only' a few hundred million years after the Solar System was formed.
The Saturn V booster that got them up into Earth orbit had over 7.5 million pounds of thrust (3000 tonnes!)  and burned over 15 tonnes of fuel a second!!!

What are everyones thoughts on the then?

Sheldon

Advert

I've heard all the theories which claim to prove the landings were faked - including reams of complex mathematics to show that the camera angles are all wrong etc. But I remain convinced it was real enough. Its almost the case that (given the number of people that would have to have been "in on it" and the technical complexities of delaying signals etc.) it would have been easy to go than to fake it!

We must be similar ages Doug. I too remember staying up all night with my dad to watch the landing and the first moon walk - I'd have been 12.

BEB 

I was 51 last August - and I too watched the landing and, later, Neil Armstrong's first step onto the lunar surface.  Of course it was real - as BEB has already said, it would have have been harder to fake it than to actually do it.

And if anyone's not been to the Kennedy Space Centre and see a Saturn V close-up,  make sure you do so!

16 I was, and well do I remember that night,too. I'm afraid I've always considered the doubters to be of the same ilk as the Flat Earth Society - they just stubbornly refuse to accept the evidence.

I was fortunate enough to have a holiday in Florida a few years ago and was able to watch Atlantis launch at the start of the holiday and be at the Kennedy Space Centre for its return a fortnight later.

If you can wangle a visit to the Space Centre, Sheldon, do it! Apart from the sheer size of the Saturn V, the strongest impression I was left with was just how small the Mercury and Gemini rockets and capsules really were. The astronauts were effectively strapped to the top of a giant firecracker - their courage cannot be under-estimated.

The Moon Lander was also just an aluminium-foil covered framework, too. The whole project was remarkable considering the relatively primitive state of computing compared to now and probably remains man's greatest single technological achievement.

Pete

Most definately one of those defining " I know where I was at the time" moments.
Despite the grainy B+W picture, it was and still remains the best thing ever shown on TV.
Anyone see the recent "Mythbusters" episode dedicated to blowing all these silly conspiracy theories out the water?

That darn film Capricorn One.
Problem is, someone has come along, got this going, and made up silly excuses to go along with it. And if hey were faking such a big thing, why be so careless and have wind on the set?  I refer to the fact that the flag was 'waving'. People who use this idea don't understand that in a Vacuum, there is no air resistance so the flag will move more easily. The Lunar gravity is one-sixth of that of Earth's, so again it will move more easily. And there will be more jerky movements, causing it to swing more due to the stiff pressurized suits. Was the whole space program faked? did Mercury or Gemini never take place? What about the Apollo missions that didn't land on the moon? Apollo 7, 8 (which was the first manned mission to orbit the moon) Apollo 9 (an Earth orbit mission), or Apollo 10 (a dress rehersal of the first moon landing)?
And it was, of course, to show the USA's superiority of the Soviets, so why fake 2 faliures too? Gemini 9, i think, had to re-enter early due to a stuck thruster. And of course, Apollo 13. So why, when showing that you are better than someone, fake a faliure?
Doesn't add up does it. What's more, all the hundreds of set designers, stage hands, directors etc...
Surely one of them will have said something.

I've found a couple of good pictures and videos here:

You'll find you need to turn the sound right up on this one:

That is a video of the Launch of one of the apollo missions, i think 11, from a film 'In the shadow of the Moon'. I've got the DVD, great film. More a documentary i guess, it has interviews with many of the astronauts. 

And another, Jack Shmitt and Gene Cernan going a bit mad on the Moon...

Sheldon

Edited By Sheldon Holy on 01/05/2010 08:20:00

Posted by Pete B on 01/05/2010 00:13:33:
 The astronauts were effectively strapped to the top of a giant firecracker - their courage cannot be under-estimated.

When I was there and saw the whole setup I could just imagine the dialogue as the astronauts were strapped in;

"OK, guys,  good luck!  It's all going to be fine - you're strapped on top of a gigantic firework full of explosives.  Now we're going to be 3 miles away over there,  in a concrete bunker with steel shutters over the windows,  but you should be OK - we think!"

Nah, its all faked. Elvis told me!

Just out of interest, what about UFOs? Personally I don't hang much faith in them.  I spend a lot of time in the sky and I aint seen nuthin!  Spent a fair bit of time looking through a telscope too, still nuthin!

It all comes down to me and Elvis really. And I aint too sure about him!!

David 

As Max Boyce said "I know 'cos I was there"

As a youngster - same age as some of you chaps - I visited Cape Kennedy at the time of the Apollo 11 launch, went to see the Saturn V on Pad 39A, and watched the launch from Satellite Beach near my auntie's house.  During that summer we saw several launches, with the night launches being extra spectacular. Apollo 11 was the hostoric one though.

Here's a cine film clip that I put up on You Tube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrddt0yXuvw

My uncle was a photographer with the USAF and as a result we also got a joyride on board a USN destroyer to the offshore launching area off the coast of Cape Kennedy to view the launch of a Polaris missile from HMS Renown.

We also got up close and personal to the Apollo 12 and the ill-fated Apollo 13 spacecraft which were  under construction in the Vehicle Assembly Building at the time. You can see them on the cine film clip.

Posted by John Horsfield on 01/05/2010 23:51:35:
If the apollo moon landing were faked, please can someone explain who left some dirty great mirrors up there for the Lunar Laser-ranging Operation at the time of the first moon landing?

This is the one thing that conspiracy theorists always seem to conveniently forget about...

Edited By John Horsfield on 01/05/2010 23:53:10

I still think it was the Clangers...

of course the other old chestnut is if...there are alien's....or little green men etc.....why would they travel all the way here...which apparentley would take year's and year's...do a couple of circuit's over wherever....make some pattern's in cornfields and then go away again........

i await your reply's earthlings.......ken anderson ne 1.

Nanoo nanoo Mr Anderson, there's no reason for it to take years to get here if you can bend time and space.
The question is, why would they want to ?  It would be like driving from Morecambe to Margate to look at field of sheep.  

As for luna landings, yes I believe they did it, it's too large a cover up and lasted far to long for it to be anything other than science fact.