Trainers

Stephen  Harrison

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

When I started, Idumped some plans, then I realised Y!, to heavy on the stick, over compensating,so i sat down & concidered my problem. I brought aerofly deluxe, spent hrs infront of the screen, started at 25%on the simulation speed & worked my way up to 200%, then came the day of judgement, out came Peppi, started up, set her off & away we went, up up & away, now I spend more time flyin than repairing, GREAT FUN.
Take care all.

Hi Dave.
Any make that does around a 46 is ok. I like Super custom, They're the cheaper version of O.S, I use a SC32 in my peppi & a urvine 53 in the tutor40.
Had no probs upto know. As for servosI use futaba 3003's inmost of my planes unless it requires something with a bit more torque, then cirius seem to do the job. I'd surgest you take a peak at phoenixmp.com, his got good stock, good prices &loads of knowledge.
hope this is of some help.

GOOD FLYIN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone help me ? I have been looking for a trainer kit that I would be able to build from scratch, I come from the world of model cars and I have noticed that the model airplanes have moved over to the dark side like the cars because all you seem to be able to buy is the ARTF's etc What ever happened to the fun and educational part of building the bloody thing and really understanding how it works and goes together? I do understand that some people do not want to build and some people just want to get in the air as soon as possible. Anyway enough of the rant if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

I am strugglimg with landing my arising star on the site I usually fly from, and wondered if I could get my solo on a simpler models, possibly a Super 60. I usually fly on a Sunday, work on a saturday, and have a good instructor but only get about 2 flights a week, unless it is too wet or windy. If I could handle a slower plane. I could get a lot more flights in and progress a little faster. 

This year I have managed to fly at another site and managed 1 good landing, one reasonable one and two good take offs. Unfortuneately this site has maximum number of members, so I almost feel like giving up until I can join them

Peter

P.S. Is there a cheaper ARTF like a Junior 60, Perhaps $100

I learnt to fly back in 1988 using a Howard Metcalf Moonraker fitted with a Irvine 40 ABC and Sanwa radio. I had a few problems, a couple of broken props on landing, then the prop shed 1 of it blades followed within a second or so with the other blade departing causing the engine mount to be torn apart and the engine seizing due to over revving. A fellow club member lent me a OS whilst mine was being repaired. I'd just been given the nod to go solo when another member who was flying in opposite circuits to everyone else crashed head on into my plane. After that I flew a Piper Cub bought from a another club member that I fitted with a OS Surpass 70. Since 1990 I haven't flown. Still have a part finished Carl Goldberg anniversary Piper Cub and another Moonraker in my shed. It's getting tempting...

• 1 month later...

I have just got one of the Sky 40 plans and a big box of balsa. its for a 40-46 motor. the plans came off RCM&E  nad the plan was featured during summer 2006.

has anyone built one and got photos / advice they can share? its the first model by me for 25 years

• 1 month later...
I'm just fininshing a Protech IBIS as a second trainer to take my A with. I will be using a TT GP42 for power, the same as in my Irvine Tutor which performed faultlessly, and having a longer stroke than most will swing a larger diameter prop. I like the fact that the IBIS looks like a real plane, and being a tail dragger will hopefully improve my take off skills.

Alex, I would recommend you start with a 2 stroke until you learn to fly.  for the same reason as I'd recommend an ARTF trainer to start with.  4 strokes are beautiful engines and to see one buried in the ground must be heartbreaking.  Learning to fly can cost several planes, so get something you can replace reasonably painlessly (plane and engine).  A 40 or 46 OS would be a good choice, they are not the cheapest engines but they start easily and run sweetly, so you minimise engine problems and can concentrate on learning to fly.

I taught myself to fly with a Boddo Tyor Too. 3 channels.

I've just built my Son one from a part built ebay bargin, complete kit with glue / film and accessories for £6.

I was going to convert it to electric, but it's got and old PAW 19 in it now.

Hope to let him have a got over the weekend.

Andy