2.4 GHz dead zones

TonyS

Have to disagree about lead free solder and long term joints. The automotive electronics industry would be in terrible trouble if it didn't. Component failures are measured in so many per million hours of operation (fits) on some of the more critical bits. Rather impressive when you consider how many there are about.

There shouldn't be any problem at all re soldering with lead solder but when using lead free a flux pen is needed or hand soldering can be very difficult. Flux pens are tolerated in the work place as a result.

The only possible problem is the flux in multi core. It is usually corrosive so should be cleaned off. On the page some one linked to a no clean multicore is mentioned but if it's the same as the one I use it needs a relatively cool iron (weller 6 from memory) as the flux turns corrosive if over heated/burnt. The data sheet might tell you. Modern components also benefit from very thin solder wire. As with all fluxes it's best to not breath the fumes.

Flux should be cleaned off. When the boards are made this is usually done with a product such as safewash 2000. A brass pencil brush is as good. Those are the pens with a brass or fibre glass insert that emerges as the end of the pen is turned.

Resoldering a 2.4ghz rf board may prove problematic. Even the track width and spacing on the circuit board in the actual rf area of the board can have an effect. If I did that because I had too I would take some care and apply a minimum amount of  solder. If it's a dry joint a flux pen and the soldering iron will probably cure it. I would have to wonder how one gets a dry joint on a surface mount board though. Solder paste is applied through a screen, parts are often stuck down and then the lot is passed through a reflow oven. Heating components for too long can damage them so the job has to be done fairly quickly how ever it's done.

John

• 1 month later...

Not wanting to open up any wounds here but thought this worth adding to the thread.

I was up at the club yesterday - fabulous flying weather - to maiden the Blizzard and Extra and happy to report both are back in the hangar in one piece..

As you'll imagine the place was quite busy and there was a good selection of models about. One of these was a Pitts biplane, built several years ago, flown many times, recovered and loved.

The pilot (the chap at the business end) took off flew a large circuit incorporating a few rolls, loops etc then as he was approaching for a runway pass, shouted. The model dropped, recovered, rolled to inverted then buried itself into the reeds at the side of the pond.Quite simply, he'd lost all communication with the plane.

Now, before he'd flown we'd been discussing what Tx he was using and it was a DX7 like mine. I'd told him about my recent problems - 4 lost planes then a return and repair - and he'd said he'd also lost a couple of planes but put it down to undersized or old batteries in the planes. This is why he told me he'd switched to a new 6V pack for this plane.We were all gutted for him - luckily for him, the reeds had held the plane out of the water save for the engine so rebuilding will be relatively easy once a new cowl's been sourced.

The DX7 however, is on its way back to HH...... 

Edited By TonyS on 03/10/2010 11:30:08

if you google dx7 lockout or dx7 crash, there's an alarming number of results. It also seems to be mentioned on nearly every forum.

I accept that there are always the few pilot errors that are blamed on interference or lockout, but so many?

Wonder if this was the real reason for their system being dropped by the other manufacturer?

I know little about Spectrum except what I read, and have nothing against them, never having owned one, but the reading does start to raise a few questions.

Did anyone watch the Singapore F1 race last weekend where they mentioned dead zones in the data communication to the cars , all at a couple of areas where they thought the underground cables or railway was having some effect.?