Big boys toys - a short film

Steve Houghton 1

Advert

I noticed that.  Clearly done deliberately (it's hardly the sort of thing you do by accident!) to keep continuity of direction of travel between shots.  Just as you always have the cameras following (for instance) a football match on the same side of the pitch - and if there's one on the other side it usually has a "reverse angle" caption on the screen to explain the sudden continuity jump.

As an ex Assistant Air Trafficer!! ahem!!    I wish to put forward the fact that the pilot may have been flying off the QNH (pressure height above mean sea level) and not the QFE (airframe height above field elevation). Only the later would give a zero reading whilst on the ground at the field.   If the elevation of the field is 250' above mean sea level in real life then that would correspond to the altimeter showing +250'.
The only time an altimiter set at QFE would show zero would be when it is at mean sea level!

Also it may be that all this is incorrect in relation to this flight and the pilot actually zeroed his altimeter just prior to line up on the strip, so it would be accurate to the time and location!

Finally, He may have been using the QFE from another local airport and his strip is 250' above the runway there!!

All these could answer what Doug had noticed! 

I hope that has confused you all sufficiently!!!

10/10 for your observations Doug!!

Excellent Steve - Really enjoyed that. Watched it a few times now.  Can't be bothered to be picky !!

Thanks 

BB

Though I recorgnised the shed Phil

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 27/06/2010 17:21:20

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 28/06/2010 06:23:50

Hi guy's .
After Angus had taxied to the strip, I thought  he reset his altimeter prior to take off, also, to be honest , these guys making the film are only students and to make a small editing mistake with the mirror image is quite insignificant in my opinion.  
Any way I had a cracking day.  

Edited By Big Phil on 27/06/2010 17:40:58

Exactly
With good visibility-who needs an altimeter setting anyway .As an ex-hang glider pilot I never had any aids apart from my eyes .It's called FUN (and for that matter-no H&S experts around on the Cornish coast telling me what I can or cannot do ). Well done - I really enjoyed the video. 

Oh don't get me started on H&S legislation, Bad enough it's enforced, but you can't easily just get a simple list of them all, increasing my workload tenfold!!!!

I could make a better video than that!!!! jk :P

Was the flight in the plane free just to get a good story for the video? I don't know why but I love looking at other people's models, a gateway into different participants in the hobby :D

I like the look of all those scratch builds! And I like the idea of 'you build 'em I fly 'em' ! Because I have not yet got my adult patience!

Edited By Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage on 27/06/2010 19:55:02

Posted by James40 on 27/06/2010 15:53:33:
Doug, your being over picky, how do you know what the pressure of the day is and how do you know he hadn't spoken to air traffic to get the correct pressure ?

Can't remember the last time I did a take-off with QNH set rather than QFE. call me old fashioned if you will!

It's standard practice at our field to set QNH on the ground for local flights and departures as we have Stansted CTR restricting ops to 1500ft over one part of the ATZ and Stansted CTA at 2000ft over the other part and nobody wants to be fiddling with the altimeter settings on the climb out to the overhead.

We only set QFE for circuits and on rejoin

Perhaps he has controlled airspace over the field like we do so needed to set the QNH for the climb out to know he is in the clear during a departure?

Of course it can cause fun, especially when one forgets one is on the QNH after aborting a departure  to return to the circuit, all the students look too high in the circuit and all the houses look too big... yes I've done it and I wasn't the first. 

Edited By Gemma Jane on 27/06/2010 23:20:46

Great film and a superb advertisement for the hobby . Its always a little bit nerve-wracking when people ask to make this sort of film - will they focus on negative aspects, will they depict us as obsessed "weirdo's"? But no, I think they did a great job of looking inside our hobby and trying answer the question "What is these guys get out of this?" As someone has remarked a very human and social view of modelling - emphasising the creativity and the friendship aspects. Good stuff!

BEB