What's your favourite?

Solid Snake, you have it! thumbs up

Difficult to choose between the EE Lightning and TSR2 though......

I was fortunate to be at the Biggin Hill air display in the late 50's when a Lightning did the 'stand on its tail' routine. Quite apart from the sound of the re-heat which beat your ears into numbness, you could also feel it inside your body. It made you shake. Awesome does not describe it adequately!

They patched the tannoy into the pilot's radio and he read off the altimeter settings as, 'One thousand, two thousand, etc.' as fast as he could say it, all the way up to 17000 feet when he disappeared into the clouds.

They used to actually pay these guys to do this!  Me? I would have paid them!

Pete

Edited By Peter Ward on 31/08/2012 19:38:14

Advert

If it's beauty we're after, surely sleek modern gliders are the best! My favourite is the H101 Salto (by a lady designer!).
I'm always a bit disappointed that scale gliding articles in the modelling press on the whole seem to favour vintage stringbags - give me acres of curvy fibreglass any day!

In order:

Comet DH88 racer

ME262 The most elegant of jets. Similar configuration to the DH88.

Douglas D-558 Skyrocket

Spitfire  But a bit common.

Hawker Tempest - the inline engine one that looks like a Typhoon

Focke-Wulf 190

Made them all. The Skyrocket was a 'Jetex' Tailored kit.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 31/08/2012 22:15:26

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 31/08/2012 22:18:00

Where to start? Airliners:- Concorde, of course, but also Constellation, Comet 4, VC10, Viscount and DH Dove.

WWII:- Spitfire and Mossie yes, also like the Typhoon, Hurricane, Lockheed Lightning. And the Lancaster just looked right.

Post war military I'd go for the Hunter, Scimitar, DH110, Canberra, Victor and the Buccaneer.

Might have beens include TSR2 and it's near cousin, the Avro Arrow, the Fairey Delta II and the Saunders Roe SR71. Not forgetting the Martin Baker MB5.

Others:- Tiger Moth, Dragon Rapide, Sunderland and the wonderful Handley Page HP42.

Now all I have to do is pick the one I like best. sad

Beauty is, indeed, very subjective. A curvy actress can be beautiful, but so can a more toned and athletic woman, or an assertive one - depends on what floats your boat. I've always thought the Hawker Hunter was the epitome of grace, but the sheer pugnaciousness of the Lancaster and the English Electric Lightning also make them very attractive. I would, however, have to vote for the Grumman F6F Hellcat as my personal 'beauty'.

Like cars many aircraft have an appeal be it a Spifire or a Vulcan ,you cant choose one.When I had money in another life I had a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow,a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Talbot Sambe convertible.People used to ask which I preferred and there was no answer.I now drive a Toyotsa Surf,because it gets into the flying field all year round and carries plenty of models with ease and is easy to load and unload,its my perfect model but to fly Harmon Rocket.Love to see the Spitfire fly and the Vulcan but yesterday saw me scrabbling for my camera to photograph a biplane.

It’s very hard not to say the Spitfire.

From being a lad my all time favourite was/is the Lightening and I can still remember the last lightning show at Binbrook, but I wouldn't call it beautiful.

There have been some excellent suggestions and I think of the piston engine types, although I do like the Mustang, I will go for the Mosquito and for the jets the hunter.

I may change my mind tomorrow and it’s still very hard not to say the Spitfire.