TH9X Transmitters

Steve W-O

Posted by Ian Skeldon 1 on 28/10/2012 10:25:42:

Q1 Does this radio provide a good range of standard features out of the box or does it need to be connected to a PC to achieve any mixing at all?

Q2 If it needs to be connected to a PC is it best to make or buy a cable for connection?

Ian

Ian. Q1 the radio has a reasonable set of features as standard, but I have not explored them. The Yahoo group has a few people who use the standard software and may be able help with specific questions. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/

In my opinion, as standard it's a cheap radio with really only low price as a benefit. With custom software it becomes something special.

Q2, there's not overall "better" way to connect to the PC for software upgrade etc. I used a bought in programmer that installs without soldering into the radio, with a USB interface for the PC. The advantage is that the programmer is always available. I user this one ..

**LINK**

Others would just install a cable and plug the programmer in when needed. The advantage here is you don't need a programmer for each radio, or could use one that you have already to hand.

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your rapid response. I have already ordered the smartieparts board and a backlight from hobby king along with some incredibly cheap receivers. this is where, for me, this radio scores highly. I can kit out lots of my fixed wing models at low cost using this radio. I wonder if you might know answers to the following queries?

Q1 Does the transmitter accept a two cell lipo without any modification?

Q2 Is there a training cable available for this radio? If so I may even buy a second one and use it as a club trainer.

Q3 Where will I find simple but usefull software or firmware updates for this radio?

Thank you (along with Steve W O for pointing out the features of this radio, it's at least tempted me to get one and try it for myself. I have seen some videos on youtube and some German gent shows how to program in some reasonable mixes.

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian. Steve's more knowledgeable than me so hopefully he'll chip in as well.

Q1 - mine runs happily on two 18650 cells which are some sort of Lithium Ion, not exactly Lipo. Those cells are over and under charge protected, so won't get completely goosed if I left the set switched on and ran them down.

Q2 - I believe so, but don't know the details

Q3 - I use er9x software, but be aware that this is completely different from the standard. In fact it's the only reason I chose the radio. Have a look at **LINK**

Also I suggest you install eepe on your PC as a tool for learning the way the mixers work.

By the way when I got my Smartieparts board it included its own backlight, is that not the case now?

The training lead is a 3.5 mono audio jack. Male to male to buddy two 9xs together. Mono definitely works, not 100% sure about stereo.
He stopped supplying backlights a while ago as he lost his supplier and couldn't compete on?price. Plus he was getting a lot of requests for the board alone.

Tony thank you, I have now installed eepe and can't wait to get to grips with it all. I bet these radios would sell even better if people knew what good value they represent. The smartieparts kit no longer has anything but the update board and that is now a solderless fit, which I don't mind either way.

Welshboy thank you, I will deffinately consider a second radio if the first one works out ok ( I think it will be just fine) and the cost of receivers alone makes it worthwhile.

Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to all of the contributors on this thread, who have put up with the nagging from those not yet convinced to give this radio a try, your insight and knowledge has certainly been benificial for me and probably helped many others.

Hobbyking do a LiFe pack which fits nicely in the battery bay (and doesn't have the usual Lipo problems of storage or over-discharging) and I'd honestly recommend one of those instead of the Lipo.

The only thing to watch is that it has a two socket plug where the original AA battery tray used three. The order (from left to right on the board pins is) -, +, NC. Make sure you don't plug it in the wrong way round or you end up with a fried motherboard (it doesn't have any idiot diodes)

Hi. ( I chose the Lipo option, have used them for some years .)

I’ve had my TJY 9X Transmitter about 3 weeks now. Have fitted the smartyparts board and a backlight. No real problems, some minor soldering.
I’ve also removed the Turnigy Module on the back (only the gray aerial lead to cut). And replaced it with a JR (Corona) module, it’s a push fit, with no modifications.! It cost £11.60p, from GC.
I had been using a Corona (Futaba) 2.4 module, in a very old FP-T8UP that has reached the end of its days. The 8 channel CR8D receivers that were being used with the (Corona  Futaba  module, in my models, all work, (re-bind) with the new (Corona ‘JR ‘module.) wink
t 01.jpg

The other modification was fitting a Gens Ace 1800mah 3S 20C from GC £10.53p. A tight, but perfect fit in my new TURNIGY TJY 9X Transmitter. Had to (modify the connectors, using 3mm bullet.) also used an added 2 Cell Balance type Lead, from GC 34p, in order to plug it into the transmitter. ( be sure to connect the +(positive red) from the battery, into the (middle ) pin in the 2cell connector, which is white on the plug that I used. cut off the red outside lead on this little plug.)
t 02.jpg

t 03.jpg

Maybe this will be of some help. . . . Wor’keith.  wink

Edited By Wor'Keith on 31/10/2012 11:54:40

Edited By Wor'Keith on 31/10/2012 11:56:46

Ian.
I converted my old 35 Mhz Futaba FP-T8UP to 2.4 Ghz some years ago, using the Corona Futaba (full range) conversion module with no problems. So all my models have corona receivers fitted.
The Futaba corona module ( will not fit ) the TURNIGY TJY 9X it’s the wrong shape. The JR Corona module ( Will ) fit. And also ( Binds ) with the Corona receivers that are in my models. Thus saving me a considerable amount of money, on the cost of replacing with new ones.
A new 8ch Corona receiver, from GC at this time, is around £13.00p.
If you have to buy new module and receivers. There are several options now on the market that will fit into the TURNIGY TJY 9X . The FrSky set up also has a good write up at this time. So shop around.
Reg’ . . . Wor’keith.

Aaahh now that makes perfect sense Wor'Keith, and in fact I can see that you did already say that in your posting, I just didn't get it, doh.....

Hi tony, Yeah I already use 2s lipos through a bec in my flight packs but to be really honest I am keen to look further at the use of life cells as they are less volatile when charging/discharging. As you say the use of 3s pack could be pushing the input regulators to their limit (I could be wrong on that?), but 2s not really a high enough voltage for safe use.

Ian

I find 2S to be plenty. I'm actually using two 18650 cells, which are some sort of Lithium Ion. Fully charged they're 4.2V same as a Lipo. Here they're soldered into a 2S pack and glued together. I have a separate X60 connector for charging, rather than having to unplug thge pack. (You can also see the USB port for the Smartieparts programmer)

9X battery conversion

Ahh yes I can see the usb connector. My smartie parts board has arrived, so have my extra receivers, just waiting for the tranny and the backlight now.

Do you remember where you got these li-ion cells from? I know that maplins do stock such items but they're not the cheapest. I am still searching for the perfect solution to both the tranny and the flights packs.

Thanks Tony,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Well at last my set arrived along with four HK receivers and one FlySky receiver. Everyonne of the receivers bound first time which was reassuring. So one of the 6 channel HK receivers costing a whopping $7 went into a lump of large foam and out to the field we went.

The weather wasn't great but I only wanted to test it all out for basic functionality and range at this stage. The TX was in native format using dry cells and no mods at all. Setting up was easy enough and all done in ten mimutes. So model was flown around and first thing I noticed was that the TX felt more comfortable than my much dearer one! Response was crisp and locked in, loosing signal on purpose saw an instant return of control once the signal mask was removed so full points there. The last test was to fly iy until range was lost and hope that we find the model there after, we failed, we couldn't get it any further and still fly it but we still had full control so range is good.

Ok so thus far everything is very positive, what about the negatives, well to honest there are not many negatives at all and the worst thing so far is the annoying beep when you press any of the buttons, and that can be programmed out once the set is updated with the mods. My only other gripe is a personal one and that is, I wish I had read this thread earleir and saved myself a lot of money!

Tony, thank you for being so helpful and patient I am a convert and will buy another set in the new year because they represent such good value. Steve thank you as well for clarifying the earlier posts and not getting upset at my early remarks.

Ian

Sounds good. I'm happy with the feel of mine, although I've never had an expensive set to compare it with (last was a Hitec Optic, before that a Futaba Challenger, both now Ebayed).

I really thought the 9X with Frsky would be my last radio, but annoyingly I have a sudden urge to try helicopters. The helis I've been looking at all use their own proprietory transmitter, or in some cases can work with Spektrum. Maybe a second 9X is on the cards, to be fitted with a Spektrum module, or maybe I can work out a way to switch between Frsky and Spektrum.

Mmmmm after seeing at first hand the pitfalls of using spektrum I can't think that would be a great move but if it is the best way forward then fair enough. I do know that some of the small helicoptesr are very good value and if you can fit a module and get away with just that then I guess that's a good way forward.

Good luck with whichever way you go. I will post the odd update and possible ask the odd stupid question as I make progress with this radio. If all goes well then I will possibly suggest this to the new members that come to me for lessons.

Once again, Many Thanks

If going the module route you can just swop the modules over as required. There are more complicated routes available details on 9xforums. They usually involve some soldering which can be quite delicate. The other potential problem is having two antennas permanently attached and the risk of the redundant one absorbing some of the signal.

I would like to see a comment from a Moderator an Instructor or maybe a review in the magazine about this bit of kit.

All sounds good from most that have purchased the unit, as well as the Orange range of recievers that are so cheap compared to the big name stuff.

What will happen to the big name brands if this gear becomes very reliable?