The Biplane Thread

Advert

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 19/11/2010 15:04:53:

BEB do you recognise this?

Nice one Lynsay - it is my Tiggie!

Its a J.Perkins/Green Models sample. And my only electric powered model! Thanks for that Lyndsay!

Below is the airframe from my Sopwith Pup - from the CDScaleDesigns kit. She is currently in the "covering shop" part way through. Should be finished by year end ready for those barmy spring evenings we are going to have in 2011!

I'll try to take a photo of my Pitts Special tomorrow down at the field - wont be a as good as Lyndsay's photos - but better than nowt.

There are some stunning models in this thread - real beauties!

BEB

This is a Flair SE5a a recovered quite literally from a bin, the fuselage was also in a similar sate, about 5 or 6 parts as I recall, but I decided to make her good again.
The fuselage was heavily modified to make more accurate, an extensive rework of the cowl, cockpit rear stringers and deckings.

The end result was very pleasing, powered by an OS52 fourstroke with working exhausts. The lewis gun mount took several versions before i was happy with it. After a seasons flying she was sold and now resides on static display in France I believe.

One of my first scale model designs built in 1987 and still flying today, 56" wing span, she has had 3 engine changes, currently has an OS70 (yes it is a bit overpowered)

Well you've got to have a Pitts, this is/ was my 3rd sold due to large warbirds taking over.

Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 20/11/2010 00:16:50

I had a Panic( oh why did I sell it) a fantastic, fun model to fly.
Mine had an Irvine 53 in it which was enough power for me, but I have seen them with bigger motors  and in the right hands are brilliant to watch.
  Now I have a small Filton Rouge Bipe  'lecy which is my first electric model and I am  getting to like the convenience of being able to pop to the local sports field for a quick flight.
               B.P

Panic 

And the Rouge 

Oh no Steve, that will never happen, I will NEVER get rid of my Stik!  
 Also still got my Arising Star which my lad is learning with and the new addition due this week,  a Sportsman Aviation Excelleron 50

B.P 

Posted by Eck on 19/11/2010 21:04:06:
What plane is that in the 3rd and 5th pictures, Tim - it's absolutely gorgeous!
 Eck,

They're both models of the Waco SRE - a really pretty cabin bipe from the '30's.

The first pic shows my version of the 40" Peter Rake model.  Flies so well that I was inspired to put pen to paper and to draw up the 67" version you see in the second photo.

Anyway.......so if two wings are good, then what about three?

......or, indeed, four?

Posted by andy watson on 20/11/2010 15:26:33:
Tim, what is #4?
 Andy,

I'm guessing that you're referring to the little silver Wasp?

It's a reworking of a 1935 rubber-powered design (the plan is in the AMI range), that I attempted to convert to RC last year.  Yes, it flew after a fashion, but those tiny wings and increased weight (17oz) made it something of a handful in the air.  So I've retired it, and now it adorns a corner unit in my lounge.  Just too pretty to scrap!

Mind you, it was quite a challenge to build.  I had to make a curved building board, and then laminate all the wing structure to follow the curves.........

tim

Upper wing panel in progress.

Completed airframe.

Doing what it does best - looking pretty sitting on the ground!

My beloved (fairly heavily modified) Flair SE5a...... I really don't fly it often enough!

I also have a very pretty little Ultimate look alike thats called 'Hot Pepper' never officially imported into the UK, but again flies very well with an Irvine 46 up front, unlimited vertical! No photos though unfortunately.

Pulled out my Balsa USA 1/6 scale Pup today to have a drool over the bits in the box.

I have been trying to find a suitable sized Aluminium Saucepan to use instead of the ABS coweling that is supplied.  No luck so far.

That Flair Legionare looks cute.

Tim, is that the Peter Rake BE2c?

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 28/11/2010 11:34:12