Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Been flying all day from 11 until 4;30... Take off, fly, land fuel,chat for 5 mins to get the blood back in my thumbs, take off.......

Bit windy though,gusting maybe 20 mph straight across the strip.

Advert

Hey Chris you should see our field, built on an old dump, suffering from subsidence and like a ploughed field !

2 great days of flying, 7 mph on Satuday but with relatively low cloud and no gusts to worry about. Wind was straight down the landing strip. Sunday again 7 C but wind gusts upto 20 mph and at least the cloud was a bit higher, forecast was for clear skys. Maybe one day they will get it right. Work on Monday will not be as much of a chore after 2 good days flying

Dan,

This one is great, and your not going to upset the neighbors, it's next door to a cemetery. I'll be able to use some of my engine collection instead of sticking to electric although times of use are limited with ic but that's not a problem.

Just started a build of a design of mine based on an ugly stick, 42" for a 25 to 40 so that'll do and I've got an unused Jumper 25 with a new SC36 waiting to go in it. So along with my Leci fleet it's game on.

Chris.

Took the Stik out on Sunday 20mph gusts straight down the strip. I had the Stik high, backed off the power and hey presto it go's backwards - that was weird.

B.P

Same here! Weekend was Ok - cold and low cloud - but OK and I got to go flying both days (thank you dear!). But just wet and miserable now.

I was in Warrington this morning Eric - visiting some people at the NWDA (North West Regional Development Agency). Though one of the people I meet there told me it stood for "Noone Wants to Do Anything" - I couldn't possibly comment - he says diplomatically as they might be listening!

BEB

Wow!

Today is the first time out for I do not know how long.

I was going to just pop into the park and golf course behind my house to try out my latest model a GC 540 park flyer. I am now glad I did not. It was so far out of trim, that repeated circuits and some landings (at some distance from me 20-30 feet) which happened wherever I could get it down in one peice.

So all this took place at the flying field.

It was a bit cold, so after 30 minutes or so, it was off home. Does it not annoy you how the sun is so low on the horizon at the moment, even at mid day. Brilliant sunshine emphasised this. Although the wind was probably 5-10 mph it was very noticeable in its chilling effect.

There are dozens of them around here (Wantage) but sadly the only ones i've seen so far are the tarmac pizza style ones...there's 2 within 100yds of each other just up the road, and yes its bitterly cold out there...i was going to charge up and blow the dust off the Pulse XT 40 this weekend but i think i might chicken out.

Edited By Shuglu on 28/01/2011 16:16:29

just come bk from the slope me and digitup ,lovely easterl wind around 8mph,flew the blase and wild thing, excellent lift from this site as its usually crap direction for this slope,digitup was doing some new manouvers i aint seen before ,he flew his eleccy blase went well.left at 1625 hrs getting aq bit cold the sun was going down ,its now 1715 and still light ,,bring that summer on

Posted by Erfolg on 28/01/2011 15:44:52:
Although of little interest to many, on going to pick up my model, after landing some 20 feey from me, I disturbed the first Hare I have seen this year. Although there was little evidence of any other creatures, I was so pleased that a least one is about.
Hi Erflog,

I'll get the lads with the Eagles over there .

Chris.

today - up here in god's country we have -02c...and everything is white with a heavy frost last night.......but the forecast is to warm up and turn wet as the week go's on...c/w some wind............the foreign lad also known as fredrico/enrico the 1st...will be over the moon at the mention of Wind.......for he feel's more at home when he is up in the hill's.......

ken anderson ne...1. weather station/not..

It's blowing 13kts and freezing here too, damn, wanted to maiden the P-47 today too.

May just throw the tiny E-Flite P-40 up in the air, not sure how it will cope in the wind but it should be interesting finding out ! It probably wont like the cold either, it got it's maiden flight over in Dubai last week in the glorious sunshine and no wind.

For me David it is ideal, I used to take the PZ micro Mustang around the world with me for a bit of off piste fying but it's very limited to wind. The P-40 is that little bit heavier with LOTS more ooomph and much tougher so perfect.
Handles nicely after dialing in some expo and reducing the rates so it looks more like a warbird and less like an extra from the Tron movie !

She's a nippy little thing at full chat but slows down nicely without any nasty habits.

I may look at adding a working rudder, it can be done and will really add to the flying, my wing-overs were more of a stall turn.

Great fun, especially for £28 !

That's good news James.
Mine is sitting here on it's stand staring at me. I can't wait to get out and try it. Every time the weather looks half possible, I have something else I must be doing.

just back from a 3/4hour visit to our club field......6 or 7 of us there and a good time had by all.......i had a couple of flight's and the rest of the time give a couple of new member's a go using a buddy box on spectrum gear.......it was funny listening to their comment's-reminded me of my first go.....i know they look in to this forum....so well done to them both......

ken anderson ne...1

Speaking of being cold out and fingers suffering, I've noticed many people wearing fingerless gloves to fly with and I've never quite understood why the need to expose your fingers to the cold?

I realise you have full feeling of the controls with fingers but when your fingers are that cold then the opposite is true, you have no sensation and your joints will stiffen making your flying even less responsive!

I bought ages ago a pair of gloves to mainly to use at work in winter, they are a nylon lined glove with a type of second skin very grippy rubberised palm and fingers. they sound bulky but they are very thin indeed and give you very good grip. I use these to work on jet engines which can be fiddly and have no problems at all with small screws, etc.

I've worn them for a few flights with the models and they work really well, very good grip on the TX, total control and sensation of what you're doing and they keep the cold out!

Best of all, they are dirt cheap unlike those TX mits !

Have a look Showa Gloves

P.S. they come in better colours, I have blue with white palms.

Oh, you can buy exactly the same gloves from garden centres but you pay rip off UK garden centre prices of £7+ !