Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

I guess that trying to be 'all things to all men' would fail so it would need to be aimed high or low.

One or more advanced/detail sessions covering a specific topic - or similar but tackling a series of basic techniques. A poll/questionnaire distributed/available on-line (here?).

An idea would be to start with suggestions of possible session structures & content and asking for interest and choice of topics.

If built around a central location over a whole day - or perhaps even 2 (or part of) with an overnight stop and social session. There wouldn't be any flying (the aim is building/learning) but it would be a great opportunity to meet others in the flesh. A bit like Greenacres but without the flying (and a lot more I suspect).

Hi Nigel, its not a problem and its an interesting topic, I just don't think there is sufficient interest. I have tried to set things up in the past and the number that actually show up is tiny compared to the initial interest. I do however think there is mileage in producing some sort of video guide but its a lot of work....

Cheers

Danny

Hi Ton, I am finding the small strips are quicker than all the shaping and bending individual wider strips. The compound curve on this is much greater than the pictures show crook

I used to enjoy planking wink 2 but many hours of it will make you less than enthusiastic.....

I am getting there 3/5 of one nacelle is planked

Cheers

Danny

LOL thanks my friend but it will be all done before I could find a box big enough thumbs up

I have decided to sheet the undersides of the nacelles fully so that I can quickly make a couple of glass moulds for the wheel doors, even if I don't make and fit the actual doors yet.

The list of jobs is getting shorter in my head Just have to get this blessed planking out of the way, I know I will be seeing planks as I fall asleep tonight..........

Cheers

Danny

Hi Nigel, there is no filler on the model anywhere wink 2 The underside of the nacelle is not sanded at all that is just the raw planking, you can see a lttle of the upper side (the wing is upside down in that shot) and the upper surface of the nacelle IS sanded.

If I have any gaps in the planking I cut thin shavings of balsa and wedge them in, there have been a couple of places, but all in all not too much. I think that is down to pushing each strip hard against the previous strip before moving on to the next.

Cheers

Danny

I am sure you guys are just as accurate making the planks wink 2 The nacelle undersides don't seem so flowing, we will see when it is sanded. I have been looking at the cutouts for the massive exhausts. They are possibly something we should have drawn and cut the bulkheads Ton before building?

1408200f.jpg

056.jpg

094.jpg

In the last shot the exhaust has fallen away from the nacelle somewhat. The last two pics are of the forlorn example at Doncaster.

If anybody happens to go to the museam soon, could they be so kind as to measure the diameter of the exhaust tube?

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Hi CA, no I must say my MOJO seems to have gone AWOL. I will get back on it, but at the moment I am focussing on getting planes sorted ready for the RCM&E bash which is coming up in the next few weeks

Had a great day at the field on Sunday with Mr Bott. Probably my best flying session in a few years, 5 hours and more flights than I usually get in a month. Does wonders for your spirits that's for sure.

Cheers

Danny