Biggles' Mess

Advert

Hi Folks,

still around and getting ready for spring, (another) 3 metre+ powered glider on the build and just sorting the plans for a Fornier RF4 if my flamin' computer will just play ball.

It all started just after christmas when a relay in the HDD went beresk , it just kept clacking away trying to latch but couldnt, the sound travelled through the case framing so as the machine was 7 years old and couldnt be upgraded any further I fitted a new 4 ghz motherboard, 4 gigabyte of memory and a new 2 Tb hard disk.

Problems now is that although my 1 Tb external is recognised by the system and appears in the hardware list it doesnt appear in the 'my computer' list where I want it so I can format it.

One other litttle problem that is doing my head in is when I type the '@' sign I get '' instead, any cures for this greatfully received because I cant get into any of my lists with the rebuilt machine if the want my email addy.

Terence, how is your 1TB external drive connected? If it's USB-connected then doesn't it just attach as the next available drive letter when you plug it in?

As for the keyboard, it sounds like you've got your keyboard configured as a US keyboard. As I recall, they have the double-quote as the "shift" character on the single-quote key. Their @ symbol is a shift-numeric - probably (without looking it up!) in the position our £ key is (or maybe their # is there...?) You'll need to change it somewhere in Control Panel (Regions & Languages in Win7).

You need to change the keyboard to 'UK' - you are using the US settings (the swapped @ and ".

Regarding the hard drive - the clicking isn't a relay - it's the heads physically hitting the disks. It's possible you have a USB 3 connection for the drive and that will need the correct drivers (they aren't there in Windows). Check for the CD that came with the motherboard and they should be there. Failing that, go to the maker's website (for the board) and download their drivers (they'll be more up to date than the ones that came with the board)

Posted by John Privett on 09/02/2014 17:24:57:

Their @ symbol is a shift-numeric - probably (without looking it up!) in the position our £ key is (or maybe their # is there...?) You'll need to change it somewhere in Control Panel (Regions & Languages in Win7).

I wasn't quite right about those key locations... Their @ is shift-2 (where our " is) and shift-3 (our £ ) is their # - which they confusingly seem to sometimes call 'pound' rather than 'hash'.

Edited By John Privett on 09/02/2014 18:31:49

Sorted! and here is the how and why - some forms of XP have more odds and sods welded on than others, mine is a late version and down by the icon bar at lower right I noticed two letters 'BR' so I clicked on it and got a box pop up with two versions 'American English' and 'United Kingdom'.
If you click on 'language bar' a bar opens up at top right showing the version of English you are using, click on the little arrows at the end of this box opens another listing both versions of English so, click on 'United Kingdom' so it is displayed in the bar then go to the box and delete 'American English', it wont do it if this version is displayed in the box, you must have UK English displayed then U.S English is not in use and you can delete it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a while back I posted about the problem with some cars/diesel......I found this posted today on a web site...

Britain is investigating a wave of mystery winter car breakdowns possibly linked to biodiesel or imports of diesel from Russia that clogged up filters and could now lead to supply disruptions and ultimately higher motor fuel prices.

Hundreds of diesel-fueled cars broke down late last year mainly in northeast England and Scotland as a result of gel-like substance blocking their engine filters and leading vehicle recovery services and the refining industry to suspect fuel quality issues related to cold weather.

The British Standard Institute launched an investigation and members of the UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA) - BP , Essar, Esso, Shell, Phillipps 66 , Total and Valero - began screening diesel for "filter blocking tendency" (FBT).

UKPIA said in an internal memo last week it was examining all possibilities "including quality of biodiesel (FAME), base hydrocarbon fuel, how the product is blended and any other additives used."

The FBT tests will remain in place until April 15, after which the results will be assessed, it said.

Ultra low sulphur diesel, or ULSD, in Britain is required to meet the European Union standard, known as EN590, which has anti-freezing agents added to it in winter.

While the origin and exact cause of the breakdowns remain a mystery, biodiesel has been singled out as a possible culprit.

"One of the areas receiving closest scrutiny is the up to 7 percent biofuel content which by EU law has to be added to all road diesel," British car breakdown recovery service RAC said in a statement in December.

Another possible source for the incidents is Russian diesel after tests on some cargoes of diesel originating from the Russian port of Primorsk in the Baltic Sea showed high FBT levels, according to several industry sources.

However, pinpointing the exact source of the irregular level is hard as fuels from different sources are blended at the port prior to being loaded onto tankers, they said. Others dismissed the idea, saying no similar issues had been reported in other European countries which rely heavily on Russian diesel.

Britain imports nearly half of the more than 10 million tonnes of diesel consumed last year, according to UKPIA data.

The country may face severe supply disruptions in the short term should the source of the problem be traced to Russian diesel, which accounted for around 40 percent of Britain's demand last year, according to trade sources.

Traders fear any change to the British diesel standard could also lead to price increases.

"A change in the diesel specification would require all suppliers into the European market to meet the same levels of FBT," potentially adding to fuel costs, an industry source said.

Adding FBT tests to the British diesel standard could potentially increase wholesale fuel costs by up to $5 a tonne, or around half a percent, according to two industry sources.

food for thought.......

ken Anderson ne..1 ....motoring dept....

The Café is just there for when folks want to use it John. Its a place where you can chat about anything really - mainly non-modelling stuff that might be of general interest. It does help to stop a proliferation of "chit-chat" threads all of which have half a dozen posts in - by placing them here its a bit tidier. But of course its just a facility that folks can use or not as they wish.

BEB

On a different note - I've just looked at the new BBC iPlayer and found they have this interview with C.A. Lewis relating his experiences with BE2cs (including his close enounter with a 9" howitzer shell), Morane Saulniers, SE5s and night tlying a Camel.

Also an interview with Norman MacMillan on ground strafing at Passchendaele in Camels

Daithi, thanks for putting these up. Cecil Lewis was a real hero from the days when the BBC was run by worthy men like him who had really done something, not the chattering class over-paid pansies who run it today. I can remember that sometimes he used to do "Thought for Today" and was always worth listening to. I know that he lived to a good old age and it's hard to believe that he must have been around 70 when these interviews were filmed. What a remarkable man. I haven't looked at the Norman MacMillan one yet, but I'll try to do so later.

I've just taken a look at the aviation website 'PPRuNE.org' (Professional Pilots Rumour Network), which for those who may not have heard of it is probably the busiest aviation website in the world.

I was interested to see what sort of coverage there was regarding the loss of the Malaysian Airlines flight. Not surprisingly there is a thread running about this sad (and strange) incident. So far the thread has attracted over 2,600 posts and has been viewed over 3.7 million times, as I said probably the busiest aviation website in he world.

On this occasion there is nothing there that hasn't already been said elsewhere. It is a sad and troubling story, for the sake of the relatives I hope something comes to light sooner rather than later.

Relatively successful day. Maidened my (2nd) HK Soar 40 which flew without any trimming. Shame the engine packed up after three minutes.

Upon getting home I received an email from Giant Shark that the Taranis was back in stock. Quick check with Laundry Woman, as it's my birthday next month, and it's on order.

Later I was perusing the Sky planner menu to find a programme "Shedland" had been recorded. With tears in my eyes I thanked Laundry Woman for an(other) early birthday present and settled down to watch.

Laundry Woman then pointed out I should have gone to Specsavers as after five fruitless minutes of viewing not a shed in sight on the detective series 'Shetland'.

Damnembarrassed

Avtur, I browse through the postings on PPRuNe from time to time too, most often in the Private Flying section, and have been following that huge thread on MH370. I gave up reading every post well before it had reached 100 pages, but have skimmed through most of the rest of it. Latest count, they're on page 177, after more than 3,500 posts and nearly 5.5million views!

This really is turning out to be a wierd one, for the last 4 nights I've been convinced I'd wake up the following morning to the news that the plane/wreckage had been found - yet still there's nothing.