Biggles' Mess

I have often wondered how it is known that the ratio of a circles circumference to the radius is 22/7.

I remember that the bible says it is 3, so that must be right, yea!

It does seem that using calculus could lead to an expression, but would it be 22/7. Then again before Newton or more probably for Pi, Leibniz,. So how how would you do it, prove that pi is 22/7 ?

I also take Colins point with respect to the EU and committees, then again the same self interests, half truths, and down right deceit is every where from the British Standards, Codes of Practise, in fact almost every where you look closely, where regulation takes place.

Advert

I think Pi (whatever flavour) goes back a bit further than Isaac of the apple pie - in fact try Babylon circa 1900 BC (withing 1% accuracy). Oh and the Sanskrit texts of about  600 BC define Pi as 9785/5568 (they did like complicating things laugh )

Regardin the EU and measurements - this time it ain't their fault (they may try to standardise on things but never in language), so the 'ban' on calling a half kilo a pound comes from the Westminster mandarins

I do wish though they'd clamp down on a beer standard (get rid of the chemicals that we have added to our version). The Germans have it right - NOTHING except hops, malt and water (and so do the Belgians with their ales)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/03/2014 18:08:13

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 26/03/2014 18:05:56:

I think Pi (whatever flavour) goes<snippety/>

I do wish though they'd clamp down on a beer standard (get rid of the chemicals that we have added to our version). The Germans have it right - NOTHING except hops, malt and water (and so do the Belgians with their ales)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/03/2014 18:08:13

"NOTHING except hops, malt and water "

You have forgotten the yeast! It does something rather interesting to the brew.

I do wish that they had to label stuff with sulphites or sulphur dioxide in it. It makes me wheeze!

Plummet

Well, I don't suppose we can do equations nicely here but one interesting one is:

-1 = e to the power of ( i times pi )

e is the base for natural logarithms and i is the square root of -1. (OK, in simple numbers -1 would not have a square root but in complex number theory we use it all the time.)

So this equation neatly ties together three important mathematical constants

John

Oh dear I know most of my maths teachers are now dead but I am sure one of them quoted that Pi was exactly 22/7 ; but it is obviously not so as I have just discovered on the internet. So do 2Pi radians equate to 360 degrees, which seemed to be essential to allow for calculus to function with trigonometric expressions?

MJE

Looks like there is an issue on RCMF. I've not been able to get on all evening. I did briefly get as far as seeing an unformatted front page 3 or 4 hours ago, and the latest post had been around 5pm today. Possibly a DDOS attack, or maybe they've been hacked again. I guess Gerry is on the case and it'll be back again tomorrow...

Posted by David Tweddle on 03/04/2014 12:31:10:

Not just us...

David

That is depressing ... town hall decision making at it's very worst.

Probably the result of some uninformed jobsworth carrying out a risk assessment.

What about the model rail enthusiasts who run live steam in public parks, it doesn't look good for them.

The world really is going mad.