Biggles' Mess

my mother in law............ is the only one I know who can give an aspirin a bad head.........she's out their now on her new FPV/2.4 broomstick ......... practicing her rolling circuits .... she's been adding to new covering to it or something.......we've all got to go out and watch her.....

ken Anderson ..... ne...1 .........MIL dept.......

Advert

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 01/01/2014 11:31:38:

With regards to biodiesel then I think you'll struggle to avoid it.....the EU demands that a certain percentage of ALL fuels (petrol as well) must be biofuel.....I think its currently 10% in Petrol & 5% in diesel. There has been some evidence that biofuels can attack the plastic liners in storage tanks over time I believe.

...teeth 2

And here's the gen:

----------

Hi Peter,

See notes below on governments legislation on biofuels.

From 1 April 2010 all diesel will contain up to 7.0 % biodiesel. Currently (from 2010), the maximum permitted content of bioethanol in petrol will remain at 5.0 %.
Please note the 5 and 7% figures are maximum figures - it does not mean all supplies will be at this concentration, all of the time. The actual amount of bio-component blended could be anything between 0-5% for petrol & 0-7% for diesel and will vary from one refinery to another, and even within a given refinery, depending on a number of factors, for example what the economics are driving at the time, bio-component supply availability, etc. Therefore, filling up / buying fuel at the same service station may result in fuel with a different percentage (if any), of bio component in it on each visit.
The Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO), requires suppliers of fossil fuels to ensure that a specified percentage of the road fuels they supply in the UK is made up of renewable fuels. Currently, this 'obligation' target is set to rise until we reach a maximum of 5% on aggregate.
The target for 2009/10 was 3.25% by volume on aggregate, 3.5% in 2010-11, 4.0% in 2011-12, 4.5% in 2012-13 and 5% in 2013-14. Further detailed information about the RTFO and future requirements and challenges can be found on the Renewable Fuels Agency website at the following link: 

(Sorry guys, their link didn't work. I'll try and sort it. Chuck)

Regards, Chanda

Technical Helpdesk

Original Text

Edited By Chuck Plains on 07/01/2014 22:28:22

Edited By Chuck Plains on 07/01/2014 22:30:32

For what it's worth I can add something to the biodiesel debate. The bio component is called Fatty Acid Methyl Ester or FAME for short. At the power station we use tens of thousands of litres in our essential backup plant for testing and post maintenance running. When we heard about the plans to add FAME to diesel fuel, we had to do some extensive research and testing on the effects of biodiesel on industrial scale engines. It appears that the bio component degrades fairly quickly and will attack the seals and gaskets in the engines and fuel supply equipment. Obviously in a power station environment this cannot be tolerated so we only use FAME free diesel which is becoming harder to source in the UK. Interestingly the miltary also insist on FAME free diesel I believe.

What the long term effect will be on diesel engined vehicles I don't know but I suspect that many will have to be modified at the very least. The strange and slightly worrying thing is that few seem to know about thisand even fewer actually doing anything about it.

Andy Butler - Power Station Chemistry Rocks Dept.

Bio Diesel.-

Talking to the service manager about this ,it seems that only fairly new cars are likely to be affected. This is odd as EU requirements are for a percentage of Bio to be added to all fuels so surely the engine makers should be keeping within these requirements. It would be more understandable if it was the older cars that were affected.

Newer diesel cars are fitted with a 'particulate filtre in the exhaust and this can block over time where Bio type fuels are used. He also claimed that Sainsbury's Diesel is the highest Bio content.

Having used supermarket diesel (mainly Sainsbury) in my 2008 Skoda for the last 5 years without problems I guess I am safe to carry on without worry.

The pressure to introduce the bio element into fuels is also being applied to commercial jets. They've found that it is causing serious reliability problems because of the way that the fuel behaves in the tanks and circulation systems at high altitude and low atmospheric pressures. A lot of money is being spent right now to try and identify solutions to this and it's proving difficult.

If ever there was an example of the stupidity of allowing politics into matters like this, here's a good one. The whole bio-fuel strategy may well be a big mistake, like a lot of the things being forced on us now based on CO2 derived assumptions which are likely to be proved wrong. Sadly, there are far too many vested interests in this to allow it to die quickly, so the "anthroppgenic global warming" can continues to be kicked down the road as far as possible to preserve all of the institutions, incomes, pensions and reputations which are dependent on what is probably going to be proven as the biggest red herring that the world has seen since Moby Dick got scarlet fever.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm feeling sick, getting vertigo just looking at these pictures. Staggers me that some people have the ability to do this without flinching. I love flying even in open cockpit and I've done some rock climbing a lot time ago, but this makes my stomach churn. It's like looking at the pictures of construction workers on the Rockefeller (?) building in New York in the 20s/30s sitting out on girders hundreds of feet off the ground, having a fag or eating their sandwiches. Gulp!