Biggles' Mess

To me the problem with the infernal confusion engines is the noise level. Don't get me wrong, I've still got a soft spot for the old diesel and control-line gear but the level of complaints against model 'noise' keeps rising

What actually bugs me are the number who complain about a 15-20 cc model up at 300 odd feet but stay very quiet when somebody is running a 50 cc strimmer a handful of yards away

Advert

Daihi

You raise two points which are both valid.

In the case of noise from models, in many cases it is a real issue. Sometimes tolerated, due to historic precedence. Yet it can be a underlying issue, lying dormant within a community, which could erupt at any time, to become an issue that could involve greater controls on flying hours, nose control or at worst loss on another venue. It is probably this aspect which encourages many individuals and clubs to become preferentially, if not totally electric.

It is at this point, all hell breaks loose, as fervent IC modellers argue that some if not all electrics are as noisy as their beloved engines. In reality this would be most unusual, the noise levels being substantially different.

In my opinion protecting the fields and venues we have is all important in these times. Electric flight could potentially open up opportunities and venues that are out of our present grasp.

With respect to noise from strimmers etc., Increasingly the noise from such machinery is tolerated to a lesser extent than in earlier times. Recently visiting relatives in Germany, I was told that it is not permitted to cut your lawn etc on a Sunday, it could have included Saturday, as the noise was unacceptable in a community. I was trying to get my head around not being able to cut your lawn, when your nearest neighbour was about 0.5Km away. In my case we have both a park and a 9 hole golf course behind our house. This has been cause of complaints with respect to noise from mowers, leaf blowers etc., with emphasis on the early morning.

In a similar vein, a club member was missing over 6 months, last year, working on contract in London. The job was programmed for 3 months. Yet when they got there, controls were in place when working was permitted. I understood these wee local council imposed regulations.

What appears to be an universal truth, if I make the noise, it is not an issue, the problem is noise from others.

I do envisage that noise control will continue to be subject to a greater and broader issue within society in general.

The sad thing about these trends, other than the inconvenience, most of us like messing with IC engines, and appreciate their advantages, together with all their warts.

I agree Malcolm. It's the "I'm miserable so I will make life miserable for everybody else" syndrome.

Curious how there appear to be more males than females who suffer from it. Particularly bearing in mind that generally women live longer than men, so there are more of them about !

cheeky

Edited By kevin b on 14/07/2014 16:31:21

kevin b

its a well known fact that most men are hen pecked ,thats why we dont`live as long!!............ so women folk nag the men folk to complain, thats why there are so many miserable men around and usually if a man is`nt being nagged he thinks he`s missing out on something and that makes him miserable, so all in all most men are miserable by nature

David

I don't know if this is on the right thread but just been reading in a national tabloid that Amazon are going on about delivery by drones again. My main worry is will Amazon be able to appropriate 2.4 Ghz for their sole use. I remember when Thatcher stole 27 Mghz to give to the Citizen Band (illegal) radio users (whatever happened to them) and we had to re-equip with 35 mhz at our own expense. I just don't want this to happen again due to inactivity on our part.

Malcolm

You are so behind the times. In the USA the FAA has made it very difficult to use drones or FPV ,even at hobby level. I am guessing you will pretty much have to be the USA military to deliver parcels by drones or FPV. Or alternatively, perhaps the operator will have to run behind them whilst making a delivery.angel 2

Posted by ken anderson. on 19/07/2014 18:47:28:

BBC 2 ......... Sunday evening at 21.30..a program about the Avro Lancaster......start and negotiate with her indoors now and she may let you stay up to watch it ... teeth 2 ....

ken Anderson.....ne....1.......lanc dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 19/07/2014 19:08:13

Well done Ken yes

I've just this minute put the tv magazine down thinking theirs nothing worth watching on tv tonight so thought I'd look on here but now I know different.

baz

Is it me!!

I like to think that I'm a fair minded sort of chap, but I'm beginning to think the programme schedulers at the BBC have gone mad. First we had wall to wall World Cup, then we had Wimbledon on BBC1 and 2 at the same time ALL DAY, now it's the Commonwealth Games ALL DAY on BBC1 and just to make sure I can't escape, they show highlights on BBC2 in the morning and in the evening for an hour.

In addition to that, has anyone noticed, in the coverage, how the BBC has gone totally overboard to tell us how wonderful Scotland is. Anyone would think there is some sort of election going on there in the next few months.

Nurse is it time for my medication?

Posted by Colin Ashman on 25/07/2014 13:55:44:

Is it me!!

I like to think that I'm a fair minded sort of chap, but I'm beginning to think the programme schedulers at the BBC have gone mad.

Nurse is it time for my medication?

My medication started 3+ years ago when I got rid of my TV! thumbs up