Biggles' Mess

this afternoon around about 14.00...we were flying as normal at our club site BVRMC.......when heading straight towards us was the BBMF Lancaster/spitfire and hurricane and not very high either ..... I quickly landed to admire them........one of the lads got some video which our backroom boys have sent us and 'old carry' Craig is working on-he's going to have a go at getting it on the forum.........fantastic....to see and hear.

ken Anderson ne...1 ........BVRMC memorial flight dept....

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/07/2014 18:44:47

Advert

Never ever seen the Lanc flying and for it to come directly over our club field unexpected was one of those "never forget moments".smile d

Its on our club website home page now.. Thanks to Dale Woollett for capturing the moment so quickly.laugh

Dale has a better quality version then the compressed one he sent to me by email.  Will replace it with the better version tomorrow.

BVRMC Club website click here

Edited By Craig Carr on 26/07/2014 19:08:07

I used to visit my parents in a small village in Northumberland called Eglingham. It must have been under a north - south flight path because the amount of times I'd hear a Merlin and see Spitfires, a Hurricane and a Lancaster sometimes in formation some times on their own, a wonderful sight. I heard the recognisable merlin sound once and it was a Mustang passing overhead. I considered myself blessed but some people wouldn't even look up as they passed overhead.

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/07/2014 18:43:05:

this afternoon around about 14.00...we were flying as normal at our club site BVRMC.......when heading straight towards us was the BBMF Lancaster/spitfire and hurricane and not very high either ..... I quickly landed to admire them........one of the lads got some video which our backroom boys have sent us and 'old carry' Craig is working on-he's going to have a go at getting it on the forum.........fantastic....to see and hear.

I've seen the BBMF Lanc many times, but it's always something special to see. Can't wait to see it and the Canadian Lanc flying together next month.

I believe it was the Sunderland Airshow today, and there's usually an airshow in Edinburgh the same day, so I guess the BBMF was probably en route between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by ken anderson. on 11/08/2014 17:18:32:

BBC four tonight....repeat of two part program about Jets......when(UK) we had an aircraft industry......don't miss.

ken Anderson....ne..1 ...TV dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/08/2014 17:41:15

We still have Ken. Well at least until Eddie and Judy retire. wink 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been many years since anyone got this close to the FW190 a-8 that used to hang from the ceiling in the Imperial War Museum, now on display at Cosford I think it has found a proper home with many other WW2 aircraft and better still in the centre of the country where more aircraft enthusiasts from the north and midlands can get to see it'

It has undergone a good examination and refurbishment although the glossy finish doesnt look quite right but we cant have everything......

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Well the glossy finish is as accurate as the side windows in the Wellington - it's a Mk X and it's not supposed to have the long windows of a Mk III (not to mention the pillar box red, perfect squares on the Spitfire and Hurricane gunports - they were never nicely squared off - they were patches of fabric slapped on by Erks with red primer (which is more a brick colour)