The February 2011 Issue

Eck

Advert

Posted by MarkyMarc on 18/01/2011 17:34:40:
Arrived today - usual high quality offering that continues to be the benchmark.
However...
Why does Alex Whittaker continue to try and make model flying appear cool and trendy - reference his Electric Masters report?
I love model flying and have done so since I was 13 - over 35 years ago. Maybe it was cool and trendy in 1958 - before The Beetles, the pill and mind altering substances came on the scene - but it never has been in my experience. Punk rock was, motorbikes and then cars were, your first under-age pint in the local Rugby club was and girls have always been cool. But model flying? Get real!
My 23 year old daughter falls about laughing when she looks over my shoulder and sees the "cool and trendy" characters who adorn the pages of RCM&E.
Last August, she saw a picture of a group of forum posters at the Nats (on this site)and was convinced she was looking at "Britain's Most Wanted" website. In the cold light of day, it was quite scary.
As a member of that crew I represent that remark.

Posted by Mowerman on 22/01/2011 15:02:46:
Pulse 125XT review by Andy Ellison.
I can't see any silencers.
I know 4strokes are quieter than 2 strokes but surely not that quiet ?
The big twin is not that bad to be honest. Stock Four Stroke silencers offer little in the way of noise reduction anyway being unbaffled and with minimal expansion, and the 'quieter than two stokes' myth is just that. Sure, four stroke silencers take the squeak out of the pop a little, but they are certainly not going to contribute greatly with a prop that size dominating any noise reading. They are little more than 'rubbish diverters' unless you install some of the aftermarket options from the like of Just Engines etc.
My home club is not an overly noise sensitive place thee days and the overall footprint from the site has dramatically reduced over the years with the progression of silent flight as a first choice option. The 125xt is certainly much, much quieter than your average 50cc petrol powered model or gas turbine and the pop of a four stroke twin is much more appealing to sensitive ears than the squeal of a two stroke.
Andy

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/01/2011 23:21:19

I've been using a pair of the 15-25 sized E Flite retracts in my latest taildragger model, and I'm delighted with their performance so far.
They're in an 3S-powered model, so I used an aftermarket UBEC to power both the retracts and the 4 mini-servos.

I checked with E-Flite that they were suitable for rearwards operation before installationan., who replied promptly.
tim

I was down at the field today with my Pulse 125 and was asked if I experienced the same niggles as reported in the review.

I had to answer no.

Mine's entirely stock with an OS120 & Spectrum 821 servos. It all went together very easily, the weight & CG was spot on & the elevator has all the authority you could wish for. I can't help but feel it's a tad unfair to put an engine that weighs twice as much as specified (1265g vs 615g) into a test model.

But how would you know if I hadn't done it?
The review kits do not come with engines or radio gear. They have to be provided by the reviewer. I fitted what I had available and to be honest it is not overpowered.
Why do you consider it unfair? I did not make an issue out of having to add weight to the tail and the weak elevator response is not a result of any extra airframe weight?Maybe I like my CG more rearward than you and enjoy a crisper feel to the model. I don't see your point.

Andy

The point is the model was designed, and is advertised and sold, for specific engine size & weight. It should be reviewed in this context. In fitting the larger engine & then adding tailweight you are testing outside of the design parameters and we don't learn what it is like when it is built in accordance with the words & music.

I think you're stretching it a little John. You always fit the reccommended engines to your ARTF kits?
Don't get me wrong, I think its a marvellous idea. Editors please take note that all review kits should be supplied with the engines and radio gear intended to be fitted by the designer in future.

Cheers.

Andy

Well I know it's all in good jest Andy and I likewise take it in good spirit but in all seriousness - and this is addressed to Graham & David - as the paying customer (from RCM&E edition 1) I think it is reasonable to expect kit reviews to reflect what I get for my money so I can learn how it flies when assembled as the designer/manufacturer intended.

If the reviewer wishes to modify for their own purposes, or because the original is not fit for purpose in some way, that should be a second stage in the review. But please review what is sold to us when used as intended, not what you (& I) may wish was sold.

Edited By Mark Web Tech on 25/01/2011 08:50:38

DX6i NiMH conversion P78-79
Why did Alex Whittaker cut off the perfectly good as supplied 'Eneloop' pack connecter?
Instead, why not solder in a female connector so that swapping out the pack is easy e.g. to allow external cycle conditioning or use another pack if you are having a couple of days flying away from base, (saves the bother of taking a charger and the polarity issue too!).
Also, if a cell shows signs of going duff, it's no problem to quickly fit a new replacement pack and keep flying!

Posted by John Lee on 24/01/2011 19:40:10:

Well I know it's all in good jest Andy and I likewise take it in good spirit but in all seriousness - and this is addressed to Graham & David - as the paying customer (from RCM&E edition 1) I think it is reasonable to expect kit reviews to reflect what I get for my money so I can learn how it flies when assembled as the designer/manufacturer intended.

If the reviewer wishes to modify for their own purposes, or because the original is not fit for purpose in some way, that should be a second stage in the review. But please review what is sold to us when used as intended, not what you (& I) may wish was sold.

Edited By Mark Web Tech on 25/01/2011 08:50:38

John

Thank you for your thoughts and yep, points noted and you make a very valid point of course.

It's certainly not something we make a habit of doing but, very occasionally, and with a model that's clearly a versatile beast, we'll make an exception.

David

well unless the model comes with an engine we have to fit what we have in stock unless we are made of money, times are tough for everyone at the moment and i dont think its fair that you expect people to stump up vast amounts of money every time a review has to be done, why not use what they have in hand even if its not a perfect match, Andys review ended with the words "this is the best of the bunch" how is this not fair !!!!!!!
i have fitted a 46 in a forty model is that unfair ??
if the reviewer slates it for being tail heavy or falling apart mid-air after he/she shoe horns a 90 in a wot4 then you may have a point,, other than that it happens all the time

what about the Mew gull review a larger than required engine was fitted any complaints then ....no !!