PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Hmm...my "2" is too big. This is the scheme I tried to follow, she carries tail number 170071. I think I need detailing practice! I knew the swastika was too big (picked up the wrong template, oops) but the rest is as good as a numpty like me can manage in a hurry! Might see if I can sand some of that back and try again.

• 2 weeks later...

A great report on a great 2-day Lleyn meet, Phil. Thanks to you and the other PSSA members for organising and conducting a very enjoyable weekend.

I feel sorry for those PSS'ers who were put off the Sunday flying by the poor weather forecast that didn't quite materialise, except for the awesome wind for which we were all grateful. It was the strongest wind I have ever flown in, and a testament to the properties of Andy Blackburn's Jet Provost that it handles such winds easily. The only problem was a couple of scary launches trying to get out over the lip, but thanks to expert chucking by Matt the JP eventually overcame this temporary obstacle.

I'm just contemplating what my next build will be, and whether there's time before the October Great Orme event to complete a new one (wishful thinking - so probably not!).

To those who haven't experienced the adrenalin rush of PSS flying, especially in 40-50mph winds - what are you waiting for? Get building or assembling (if you must) and join this growing band of fulfilled flyers!

To quote Tim Mackey's 'Joy of Slope' slope thread - 'Why don't more peeps do it?'

Edited By Steve Houghton on 27/08/2014 12:43:05

Fully agreed Steve - I was like a kid on the Sunday after Phil chucked me off. "Wheeeee!" and "Woooohoooo!" were mostly what I said blush

Just wish I'd had the sphericals to move the CofG of the MiG29 in the van and throw her off the edge too! After a nose rebuild, I erred too far on the side of caution with the MiG and set it quite a ways forward. She never felt really "on step" when flying on the Saturday, and I think I want to make the all-flying-tailplanes' mounting a lot beefier. Don't think it will be done before October's meet - I have two build to finish before then!

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that next weekend 11th and 12th October sees us staging our final weekend ‘Fly for Fun’ event of the 2014 season up on the Great Orme, Llandudno. Assuming the conditions allow, we will be on site from 10am each day. More details on the PSSA websites events page – we hope to see you there!

Where does your money lie then gents?

Metcheck so far saying friday will be blowing a hoolie plus rain (I will be wild camping close by in the campervan that night - spare a thought!); saturday will be intermittent rain but looks like a good SW; sunday rainless but windless too!