PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

• 2 months later...

Andy as you rightly say the weather is the start for us and the tail end of a Caribbean hurricane 'Bertha' . I'm going to make a extra block of ballast for that Avro Vulcan I'm making.

By the way Andy last meeting I wanted to find time a ask about you new Mig, hopefully catch you next time.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 05/08/2014 10:53:43

Will have to fit a ballast tray to my Me262 that is still in the paint shop currently! Saturday looks a little more reasonable though. Will have to give the MiG a looking over for ballast provision too. I did install a thick hard balsa floor between the intake ducts for just this eventuality, but have never needed it....yet!

Mark - the Fulcrum will be with me this weekend, so ask away!  She has just undergone some nose surgery and a bit of CG tweaking, but I still don't trust the tail mechanism.  Time will tell.

Edited By Andy Meade on 05/08/2014 10:57:00

I'm hoping to be at the Lleyn meet with the JP for Sunday, and possibly part of Saturday.

Sunday weather looks 'interesting'. As well as the possible gusts from Hurricane Bertha, XC Weather shows the wind swinging from Easterly to Westerly mid-afternoon as the speed picks up. Must remember to bring a good coat, too!

err yes not sure on Sunday being much cop at all at the moment, but you know these forecasters - they usually can't tell you what the weather was like yesterday let alone predict a day or two away

Schwalbe now tantalizingly close to complete. A couple of linkages, a CG test, maybe a few panel lines then a blast of lacquer, and she's set.

WARNING if its windy on Sunday  - Just looked at XC weather map if it materialises or course it could all change, however predicting Sunday at 47 mph SW direction.

If it happens we best sit it out like we did when at Tickers Hill a few years ago here's a video I did of the event. Watch 29 seconds in it was a similar wind speed and that day it was strong. You'll see facings like Ron Broughton holding his model and fighting to walk in the wind trying to take it back to his car, towards the end Yellow Blue waving and Mark Abbott gesturing it's all over.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 08/08/2014 16:15:33

Yes a great weekends flying!!! - many thanks to all those who travelled and took part.

Saturday was an awesome days flying from start to finish with blue skies and plenty of lift all day once it swung directly onto the SW slope at Cim Farm. A number of new models were flown including Mark Kettle's Vulcan pair and Andy Meade's Me-262. Many thanks must go to Mark who found my dads 'lost' JP after I took my eye of it whilst flying in a clear blue sky to momentarily check out the full sized Spitfire which was rolling and looping overhead - I never picked out the silver model I was flying again, but somehow, it glided on unguided downwind and landed flat and safe in the fields behind the cars to be found later by the tenacious search party!!!

Sundays forecast was tough with the back end of Hurricane Bertha bringing high winds and rain, but upon waking on the Lleyn the conditions were quite flyable! We sat out a heavy downpour upon arrival at 'Anne's place' but from 11:30am we were flying in strong WNW winds in gorgeous blue skies again, and this continued until 5:30pm when more heavy rain arrived.

Great company, great banter, and great flying!!! A full report and pictures will be added to the PSSA site soon and linked here. thumbs up

Am now regretting

1. Not being able to stay to find Phil's model - it has happened to me and I know how worrying it can be. Found my Phase 6 downwind in the same way that you obviously did - well done.
  2. Not coming on Sunday - I had to return early on Saturday and when I got back the barbeque I was returning for didn't happen. All I got was - you're late anyway - you were meant to be here at 3 o'clock.

Great day on Saturday, however, and thanks to all for good company and big thanks to Phil for organising. Have put a posting on the LMMGA website here - **LINK**if you want to look at photos and video.

Did manage some fantastic Sand Yachting on the beach on Sunday, which was awesome. They can travel at speeds of between 40 and 70mph.

Argh that's a shame Peter - the lift on Sunday was just outstanding. True "glass elevator" stuff.

Added a few pics in an album.  My camera kit not quite as nice as some of the telescopes seen at the event, so please excuse poor photography - it's not my fault, honest wink laugh

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=33293

Edited By Andy Meade on 11/08/2014 08:57:29

Edited By Andy Meade on 11/08/2014 08:58:21