PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Thanks very much chaps. Well, I went up to the Mermaid above Leek yesterday to maiden the Hawk - if you want to join the LMMGA and fly around some beautiful countryside in any wind direction it is only £10 to join and it can all be done online go to www.lmmga.co.uk

The forecast was cloud and 15mph wind - not low cloud, mist and rain, which is what we got. There was a 20 minute break in the weather when we went down to the slope and launched it, and it flew - had to hold in a lot of up elevator. I think it may be either because there is some reflex in the wing near the root, or not enough wind, or too much weight in the nose. Have taken some weight out to see what happens. I had a similar problem with my Alpha Jet. When I took the weight out and slid the battery back it flew, so we will see next time.

Would love to go up again today but the trouble and strife has all sorts planned for me - erecting shelves, banging in posts in the field for the horses - not through the horses of course, and teaching Keith how to use the chain saw and log splitter, also taking elder daughter and boyfriend to the airport, and getting hungover younger daughter's car from Alderley Edge, where it was parked for her 3 21st parties last night.

So sad

Posted by Tim Mackey on 23/10/2014 18:48:53:

Yup.... the main slope up the tank tracks should be fine by midday onwards laugh

You gonna join us Ian ??

Edited By Tim Mackey on 23/10/2014 18:49:45

Well I did get there and there were a few PSS models flown, all by Tim actually, notably an Albatross and a Vulcan (mentioned elsewhere) that was due a maiden flight. Forgot my camera so only phone camera photos disgust.

pits 2

I had enough models to see me through too, two wings and the SI Secret Weapon which flew beautifully.

Pits 3

The weather was for the most part good with mixed sunshine and cloud and there's Tim with the Vulcan ready to go.

Pits 1

Rotten photo but you can see what it is! The Vulcan had a curious howl which was quite realistic.

vulcan.jpg

...and the day ended with a gorgeous sunset.

sunset.jpg

Well worth the 140 mile round trip laugh

Ian

Hi Mark,

No she was based on a free plan that I accumulated from eBay many moons ago. A very simple build, and one of my best foam wings that I've managed to cut so far! The plan shows a built up wing, but I was pushed for time finishing that and a MiG and a JP! I fancy building another, but sticking a motor in her bottom - for those EPSS days we seem to have every now and then on the Orme...

Yes I did manage to get up after the LMA show thanks - I flew the mini blade and...horror of horrors...the JP too! She went well once I'd taken the tips off, and remembered not to fly her so slowly in the turns.

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 29/10/2014 22:59:22:

Nice photo's Ian I wish I was there, would have loved to have heard that 'curious howl'. I'm glad Tim is getting some air time on that baby.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 29/10/2014 23:08:34

Thanks Mark. The Vulcan looked really scale like. We couldn't establish where there howl was coming from.... but we liked it!

Was up the Orme today in 35 to 45 mph winds. Having taken some weight out of the nose, I managed to launch the Hawk single handed. It flew amazingly well. Could cope with much stronger winds I think. Had some walkers wowing at it. It can vertically climb from a dive forever and is really stable. Increased the throw of the elevator. So much momentum. Really pleased with how it performed. Big loops. Rolls really quickly. It doesn't fly inverted at all. Big success

Edited By Peter Garsden on 01/11/2014 17:21:58

Well, the TB-3 build has started, hopefully will be ready to maiden on the Orme next year, if I stop making errors like the one I have on the CAD parts....

Either way, as I anticipate a pause on that for more laser cutting to be done, I am going to re-furb and repaint the Sabre this winter....not sure on the new scheme yet though.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick end of year message to all of our PSSA members and PSS fanatics out there!

2014 has been another good year for PSS in the UK – 3 of the 4 planned weekend events ran with good attendance and flyable conditions both on the Great Orme and at the magnificent Lleyn Peninsula. Our world-wide and UK membership has continued to grow steadily and we have seen a number of brand new models reach the slopes at our events. Our first venture into an organised ‘Mass Build’ event with the Jet Provost in June proved a huge success, it’s helped attract a number of new, active members and generated a significant amount of press coverage for us as an Association in many of the leading model magazines. We are planning to run another mass build PSS event in 2016, we’ll announce more on that towards the back end of next season as we prepare for the necessary plan, canopy and woodpack.

The 2015 season bodes well with a number of new PSS models, both large and small scale, being readied in workshops around the country and we will be issuing the dates for our ‘usual’ 4 weekend events early in the new year. We are also hoping to arrange single day PSSA events with other gliding clubs around the country. So until then, on behalf of the PSSA, may I wish you all a Merry Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year and new flying season! Happy landings!