Phoenix Online Session

Advert

Thanks guys was a good session I enjoyed it love flying the P51 smiley
I will have to get a real model this year. Have been thinking of just getting a Bixler 2 (when they are back in stock) to get me in the air cheaply/easily see if the sim has done me any good smile o

Glenn, that is a fine question.

The option to use the keyboard is always there and works very well but it is inconvenient if flying at the time.

The microphone works too well provided everyone that uses that method is sensible about it, generally us forumites do alright with it but it is worth being aware of a few things:
  • There are are two modes of operation for the microphone
    • Voice chat enabled (press "v" to transmit), and
    • Voice chat enabled with voice activation
  • Using voice chat enabled alone is a good option, although you have to press the V key any problems that you may be creating with feedback etc. (see later) will only occur when you try to transmit and others will not have to put up with it for the entire time you are online. If you are creating any feedback etc. then other users will get the opportunity to let you know and you can deal with it.
  • Voice chat with voice activation is great too but also causes the most problems so
    • keep speaker volume to the minimum otherwise the microphone will be activated by the speakers causing the output from the speakers to be transmitted through the entire system and back to you, thus causing a viscous circle of distortion/and or feedback. This tends to cause so much distortion that it not always possible to identify who is causing the problem and even then other users cannot use their microphones to let you know. For some reason many sessions (not ours) I have visited the guilty party does not seem to respond the text chat requests to sort it out.
    • If possible keeping the microphone a good distance away from the speakers can help
    • Do not have any other noises present, especially music, televisions and someone else doing something in the kitchen (with a bit of luck)
I like the voice chat but sometimes turn it off if the session is too noisy.

There seems to be some visual clues developing too, wing waves for encouraging formation flying or dog fights and engine revving on the ground a signal for "let's go" - rather like boy racers at traffic lights smile.

Hope this is useful

Sorry can't make tonight - visitors.

Edited By Ian Jones on 17/01/2014 12:32:29

Edited By Ian Jones on 17/01/2014 13:00:17

I've just bought Phoenix 4 and getting to grips with it. Very impressed so far, but the one thing I can't seem to do is connect to the multiplayer sessions. sad

It did briefly connect on a couple of occasions which leads me to believe it's not a problem with my network settings although I have been through the Phoenix help screen, set a static IP address and set up port forwarding on the 6 router ports that they specify. Still no luck. I can get to the lobby ok... it just won't connect to a session. I can set up a session of my own with no problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?? thinking

I can select a session from the lobby and when I try to join it, I get the following message:

"Please wait while Phoenix connects to this session" and a progress bar.

After about 10 seconds I then get the following message:

"There was a problem connecting to the session. Please try another session.

If you regularly see this message, please click the help button below."

Clicking the help button took me to the advice to set up a static IP and port forwarding, both of which I have done but alas to no avail.

I think I've cracked it Ian... I had already told my McAfee security to allow this program to access the necessary ports, but there was one little "drop-down" that was incorrectly set. It should have been set to "All PCs" as opposed to "PCs in Work and Home networks only"!!! No idea why this was necessary, but seems to have solved the puzzle... happy days!!smiley