The end of 35Mhz for me!

Steve W-O

Just put all my 35Mhz transmitters in the loft!

I have a computer desk (stand) which I use for charging batteries (Lipos sit on fibreglass soldering mats on baking trays while charging, then they go into lipo bags for storage and carrying to the field) and the transmitters sit on the desk as well, space was getting short, moving the transmitters was the obvious answer.

No doubt they will still be in the loft after I am pushing up daisies, along with a few unfinished or awaiting repair planes

Also cleared the chargers, as all my 2.4 GHz TXs use lipos.

Feels good to eventually have made the decision !!!

Advert

Posted by Andy Harris on 13/03/2011 16:20:18:
Steve

Think I'm close to joining you, just an Inspire 60 and an Angel 50E left on 35MHz. I reckon they'll change as the season gets underway.

What I admire is that you've had a good clean up!

Andy

Nothing to admire, long way to go!

For some reason the manager won't let me store plane in the baby's cot, it is ideal, fuselages on the mattress and the wings across the top, but as I can't sell that idea, I need to find space in the conservatory.

Any Futaba 35 mhz Tx with the rectangular buddy lead socket could be used as a buddy Tx with 2.4 Futaba. Why not donate any such to your club to use for newcomers? Better than letting the big temperature variations and moisture in the loft ruin them. ( worst with insulated lofts! )

Posted by Phil B on 13/03/2011 16:43:21:
"The Loft" I wonder how much rc gear is in lofts you dont want to put them in the bin but do they ever come out again?

Guilty as charged, m'lud!

My first radio - Futaba M6, from the 70s - is up in the loft, as is my FF8 which died when I "let the smoke out" a few years ago re-inserting the aerial. Two or three models are up there too - none of which will ever fly again. So basically, all that stuff is only in the loft because I couldn't bring myself to put it in the bin.

The only working 35MHz tx that I posess is currently sitting in front of me. I only use it now for running the Phoenix flight-sim and have been trying to connect to the online "modelflying" session...

Everything else I have is on 2.4.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/03/2011 20:20:13:
Steve, I made the jump to 2.4GHz last April - so nearly 12 months now - and not one tiny regret, not for one instant

BEB

BEB, the sad thing is that I have been on 2.4 for a year last October, and the 35MHz TXs have been cluttering up my "charging table" for that long!

My son's little Cub is the only thing still on 35, and he has his own TX that he keeps upstairs, so I can't even use that for an excuse.

Another vote for 35meg. Never had a problem with it and no peg availability issues, I'm often to only user.

What were the advantages of changing to 2.4 again?

stu k

A mocking question deserves a serious answer
1) Neater aerials, both Tx and especially Rx - for scale buffs a godsend.
2) Far less chance of interference or glitching - a leccy fliers godsend
3) Much lower Tx battery consumption
4 No shoot downs - if you've never done it / been done - your a newbie
5) Switch on, fly. Simple - no peg system to forget + different systems at different sites
6) Higher data rate means improved response
7) Model match - see number 4 again - oops
8) Chicks dig it - OK I made that one up.

this year at the greenacre's do --we the HTP.....shall be keeping ourselve's to ourselves...using 27mhz only........we think it's a bit selfish no longer having shootdown's-no longer having fight's over peg's-and we still enjoy having our large dangly bit's(aerials)...out in the fresh air.....
it'll be interesting to see which nest's the chick's settle down in as the sun set's....yee haarh......what a load.....blame tim-he started it off.....

ken anderson ne...1.

Posted by Phil B on 13/03/2011 16:43:21:
"The Loft" I wonder how much rc gear is in lofts you dont want to put them in the bin but do they ever come out again?

I just sold some elderly 35MHz gear, a Challenger transmitter and a Futaba receiver. Only got a few quid but I assume they've gone to someone who will use them.

My take on this is a bit different. Although I have converted almost all my models to 2.4GHz, I still find I am using the 35MHz gear frequently in the hobby room for simple testing of stuff. Eg. If I buy a new ESC, motor, servos etc I may not want to install them in a model immediately, but want to check they're OK as soon as they arrive in case there are any issues with them.

For this, 35MHz is so quick and easy and I don't have to tie up a spare expensive 2.4GHz Spektrum RX - and of course there's no binding to do. Then again yesterday I found I seemed to have a dead servo in a model and it was so much easier to just remove the servo and extension leads from the model and bench test servo and extensions etc than try to fiddle around inside the model where the Spektrum RX is fitted.

I kind of half agree with you Tim and half agree with ken.....I'm not totally convinced that 2.4 is as bullitproof as everyone would like to think. For every 35Mhz crash/loss of signal story there is always a 2.4 story of the same thing. I haven't been flying all that long compared to some but i'm on 35Mhz and don't ever see me leaving it until i simply can't buy it any more or something so good comes along that i'll be tempted.
Battery life is longer...well i don't know about you but i generally charge up my TX before i go to the field and its still got plenty of charge in its 2500Mh Hydride after a good afternoons flying so unless you're trying to break longevity records i don't think most people will ever find the limits of that either.
I do like the turn up and fly with no peg systems. Thats a good step fwd.
Yes the aerials are neat but again positioning is crucial and i've heard things about cross binding etc.
So many other things use 2.4 technology phones/playstations and anything else with bluetooth technology that i'm just a little concerned that in time it too will become swamped.
The manufacturers will always come out with something new every year or so...thats how they make their money and i'm all for development but when it just replaces something that does the very same job its easy to see we're slaves to clever marketing.
Just look at TV's in the last few years....wide screen to Plasma to LCD to HD to 100hz to 200hz to 400hz to LED to 3Dtv and on and on and on and what do they all do...the very same job as you're old CRT from 10years ago only with a slighty clearer picture..(oh and they don't take up half the lounge), but you get my drift.
I drive a 30 year old Honda 112 miles a day doing 40mpg.....i'd say thats about average mpg by todays standards so why should i change it. Yes i can think of lots of reasons but non so compelling that my wallets coming out any time soon.
Please don't think i'm being just an old misery....trust me i work in an inustry (F1) that the latest thing/gadget/material is the only thing to use and i find it unbelievable wastefull what goes on but thats the length some people are willing to go to to succeed.
When it comes to the chicks though i'm afraid the length IS important...Hooray for 35Mhz.
ps when i've crashed one of beloved planes through a 35mhz problem i promise to return and eat a large slice of humble pie!

35MHz kit is an important part of my arsenal. How else would I fly my planes....on Phoenix

Seriously I have two old Futaba Skysport 6 trannies - great for the sim, one in the hand, one on charge - I'm always ready to go. But I have found that no chicks ever come up and talk to me when I'm using the sim - now down at the field when I'm using the 8FG its a different matter totally. Conclusive proof of Tim's point I think.

BEB

Posted by Shuglu on 14/03/2011 09:43:27:
I kind of half agree with you Tim and half agree with ken.....I'm not totally convinced that 2.4 is as bullitproof as everyone would like to think.

1) For every 35Mhz crash/loss of signal story there is always a 2.4 story of the same thing.

2) I haven't been flying all that long compared to some

but i'm on 35Mhz and don't ever see me leaving it until i simply can't buy it any more or something so good comes along that i'll be tempted.

3) Battery life is longer...well i don't know about you but i generally charge up my TX before i go to the field and its still got plenty of charge in its 2500Mh Hydride after a good afternoons flying

unless you're trying to break longevity records i don't think most people will ever find the limits of that either.
I do like the turn up and fly with no peg systems. Thats a good step fwd.
Yes the aerials are neat but again positioning is crucial and i've

4) heard things about cross binding etc.

5) So many other things use 2.4 technology phones/playstations and anything else with bluetooth technology that i'm just a little concerned that in time it too will become swamped.

The manufacturers will always come out with something new every year or so...thats how they make their money and i'm all for development but when it just replaces something that does the very same job its easy to see we're slaves to clever marketing.
Just look at TV's in the last few years....wide screen to Plasma to LCD to HD to 100hz to 200hz to 400hz to LED to 3Dtv and on and on and on and what do they all do...the very same job as you're old CRT from 10years ago only with a slighty clearer picture..(oh and they don't take up half the lounge), but you get my drift.
I drive a 30 year old Honda 112 miles a day doing 40mpg.....i'd say thats about average mpg by todays standards so why should i change it. Yes i can think of lots of reasons but non so compelling that my wallets coming out any time soon.
Please don't think i'm being just an old misery....trust me i work in an inustry (F1) that the latest thing/gadget/material is the only thing to use and i find it unbelievable wastefull what goes on but thats the length some people are willing to go to to succeed.
When it comes to the chicks though i'm afraid the length IS important...Hooray for 35Mhz.
ps when i've crashed one of beloved planes through a 35mhz problem i promise to return and eat a large slice of humble pie!

1) Oh I dont think so....not even close. In one example alone ( me ) I can honestly say I have only ever lost one model in 5 years on 2.4G to an unknown problem ( even then it may have been battery / airframe failure. I have lost many models over my 35 years flying on 35Mhz, and also know many people ho have also.

2) Touche

3) I and others I fly with regularly fly for up to 10 hours on a days sloping - and the very vast majority of that is in the air not drinking coffee or yapping. 4 day slope meetings can really challenge battery life, and my Spektrum sets eat tiny tiny lumps of electrons compared to 35Mhz.

4) Do tell...never heard of that

5) GUID

I know this thread didnt start out a s35Mhz versus 2.4Ghz, but natural drift has blown it this way, and its still on topic - I am just stating the case for the newer technology, as many people I am sure are still in a changeover phase. I am NOT saying that 35Mhz is no good - of course it is, we all used it for donkeys years. Its just that 2.4Ghz IS better.
Would you go back to 1950s technology in your field of work...or even your every day driving ?
I loved my Austin A30, my Standard 10, and even my Anglia, but boy its nice to have ABS, power steering, a heater that works, air conditioning, leccy windows, etc.

Tim, I was in full agreement until you said ABS!

One of my pet hates on modern cars. Makes a car feel like a horse and trailer when you want to stop quick.

Give me a car with a carb, points and condenser and I feel comfortable. The last proper car I drove was a 3l V6 Sierra estate, and i got between 26 and 30 mpg, now I drive a Zafira that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and get between 24 and 28 mpg with all its electronics. Progress they call it

Unlike a car, a RC transmitter needs the electronics, so I don't mind it there. My 35 MHz TXs were computer radios, nowhere as good as my 2.4 radios, my main reason for changing was not that there was anything wrong with the way they worked, or that I had any problems, just that there was less potential for a problem with the 2.4 systems

Hiya, this is taken from a post above by Shuglu.

Yes the aerials are neat but again positioning is crucial and I've heard things about cross binding etc.

This is the first I've heard about this. How crucial is the position of the aerial? I have always had the darn thing straight up. Cheers

Geoff

Are we talking receiver or Transmitter Geoff?
Transmitter aerials have been discussed many times and feature in manty threads, but the bottom line is this.
Never have your aerial straight up and pointing at the model. Best signal radiation is "out" from the stick as it were, NOT out from the tip.

Hers the right way ....

Hers David doing it with a Fuby

Follow the manufacturers recommendation as far as receiver aerials go - in a twin receiver ( main and satellite ) the important thing is to maintain a decent distance between the two units, and have the aerial of one at 90 degrees to the other. EG: one runs down the length of the fus, and the other across it IYSIM.

Points taken Tim and in reply
After another 30years of flying (and if you can stand Sloping for 10 hours a day for 4 days running then clearly you have still got it in you) how many more crashes are you likely to have which could potentialy be down to radio issues. Maybe its too soon to judge. Non i hope but there is every chance that you'll have an unexplainable incident or 3. It comes with the sport unfortunately. If it turns out to be a "new technology" issue you will say so won't you.
You also say it has an improved respone rate....just how much faster is it and would the average flyer notice the difference....Maybe when you start talking 3D Heli's and dynamic soaring maybe there is call for it ultra fast reaction times but would anyone else really notice?. I suspect not. (please if there is someone reading this who flys you're average Sunday hack who has gone 2.4 that can say "yes i notice the difference" please step fwd now).
Surely the comments in posts above ie "the main reason for changing was not that there was anything wrong with the way it worked" and you even said yourself Tim "I am NOT saying that 35mhz is no good- of course it is" just goes to show that maybe we should just pause before rushing out to empty our wallets of beer tokens for something that is pretty much the same as what we had before.
Clearly a modern car is leaps and bounds in front of a 50's motor but i bet your nice new car comes in a new shape/style and does loads of things your very old ones didn't.....
My question is forgetting the obvious costs what would a Spektrum DX7 (other manufacturers are available) do for me that my JR 378 can't.....I'm still not convinced that its so different i'd want one.....now if you said it now comes with say an Auto landing system (i sometimes wish) or something like that then my ears would prick right up.
Why do slopers like yourself now use composite materials.......because it enables you to do things you can't with balsa and ply.
I'll look for the info i came across on the binding issue and post it when i find it for you to read....it might have been on another forum but it talked about a problem when folk bind to their models around others when they are flying.