Keeping the throttle shut - Spektrum Dx6i

Everyone has their own way of keeping the throttle closed, including rubber bands around the stick and other tricks. Here's my take on solving the problem. I've applied it to my Spektrum Dx6i, but I see no reason why it shouldn't suit any transmitter with a throttle cut function. Simply add a toggle switch in parallel with the throttle cut button. When it's closed it acts as if the button is permanently depressed. I've sited mine immediately behind the button, where it's not likely to be caught accidentally. Incidentally, the switch and wires came from an old 35Mhz JR Tx that had suffered the dreaded black wire disease. The pictures are self explanatory.

Advert

Yeah, I suppose that would do it!

I'd been looking for a way to use a mixer, but hadn't worked it out, so went for the hardware solution instead

Its really as simple as I said - just done it on mates DX7. We set up for flaperons in wing mix ( dual ailerons ) and he wanted to isolate the throttle with a switch ( its a powered glider ) and then use the throttle stick to proportionally control the spoilerons for landing.
1 x fixed mix ( wing ) and 1 x free mix and all done in few minutes.

Can't see why you would need this extra switch on a Spektrum. (Even Tim's rather unusual application above is do-able without it). If the failsafe is properly set with throttle at zero on binding the receiver won't give power to the ESC even if signal is lost or if battery is connected before TX is switched on. I find this so reliable, in my view it is much safer to power up the model and position it on the runway before switching on the TX, than to have the TX on while the model is being handled. I know this is the opposite to the rules for 35MHz, but then why not make use of the benefits of the latest technology.

Most decent ESCs (all mine of various makes) also have a system for preventing the motor from inadvertently burtsing into life on power-up.

When you make mods like this to your TX you invalidate the warranty and Horizon cannot be expected to help out if the TX develops any other fault, as they usually do so obligingly.

Posted by David Gilder on 15/03/2011 07:24:40:
Dosnt the DX6i have a throttle hold switch on top right rear switch already....

Surely all you have done is install a second switch to bypass the one already in place!!

Or have I missed the whole point in this!!??

No, only throttle cut ( for IC )
Honestly ....the simple way is just a mix, and then you can even assign which physical switch you want to use.
If there's a demand, I can post the full procedure here for both DX6i and DX7. Just ask.

Posted by Phil Brooks on 15/03/2011 08:41:01:
OK, so just when you think you've invented the wheel, the local bike club rides into town

I'll get me coat.

LOL - never mind Phil, I for one admire your job, after all it does what you wanted, you thought of it yourself, DIY, and its unique
Have a gold star sir

• 1 month later...
Posted by Phil Brooks on 15/03/2011 08:41:01:

I'll get me coat.

Yes, to go and buy some more switches and mount them all round the tranny, Would look extra cool

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 15/03/2011 12:51:18:
Phil, neat idea and it saves having to use up one of the mixers. Maybe we'll start to see throttle cut on a switch for electric models, it's a good safety addition for carrying them to and from the flight line.

Yes, it's about time. A week ago, I was stood next to someone who was about to take his PZ Extra 300 to the flight line. He had his tranny on the neck strap and no doubt he nudged the throttle stick. At the time, he was holding the nose from the front of the model. The prop spun up and was literally slashing his wrist. I grabbed hold of the fuselage and told him twice to let go of the model before he cut the throttle and then let go. He still flew but when he came back he'd got a two inch bleeding gash across his wrist which could have been very nasty if it had gone a little deeper. That's a very torquey motor and it would not have given up.

Posted by crispin church on 25/04/2011 19:57:23:
on my dx6i
i did the 0% and 100% on thro to thro
and it does nothing at all
even tried -100 to +100 so what am i missing here

I assume you remembered to assign a switch - and set the throws for each way?
Works fine for me...so not sure what you have done different .

Futaba FF9 (most other models similar):

Advanced menu
Select a free PROG. MIX
Select mix "ON"
MAS THRO
SLV THRO
LINK OFF
TRIM OFF
SW (a switch of your choice)
POSI (direction as appropriate to activate mix as your normal "default")
RATE
Throttle stick low: set -100%
Repeat with stick high -100%
OFFSET 0% (Throttle stick low - press rotary button if it isn't already at 0%

I do this with all my electric models and only activate the throttle on the flightline. There's a good case to use a similar mix with a small offset to limit throttle to tickover on IC models - especially if you use a neckstrap!

other forums are stating that on dx6i there a fault and thro to thro dont work
so switch is a good thing if you want it

well done for a great post on how to do it i say

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 15/03/2011 08:41:13:
Posted by David Gilder on 15/03/2011 07:24:40:

If there's a demand, I can post the full procedure here for both DX6i and DX7. Just ask.

I would be very interested to see that mix Tim always found it a nuisance that I can't throttle hold my planks when I use it all the time on my foodmixers.

Tried it myself but it's not working as it should. Is there a way of using the aux 2 to thottle hold a plane ?

cheers,

John

Well, i found a mix that works on the R/DR - MIX switch but have no idea why it has to be setup like this - think I need to understand mix's a bit better

This works

Mix : Thro→Thro, Rate -100% -100%, SW:mix, offset: -125

Why do both positions have to be -100% ??

Wouldn't a -100 or -105 offset work the same ??

Why don't spektrum let us choose the switch WE want to use instead of having to use either the flt mode or rudder DR