selcol cells

Rob

Advert

1/4/2011 MMMmmmm I wonder ?

Amazing the technology coming out today, Jessops have emailed me just this morning about their new "Scent Cam 1DS". Apparently the prints project the scent of the scene in the photograph.

Great for summer meadows and spring flowers, a few scenes sprang straight to mind that oddly they don't mention....

Hey, don't be so quick to deride this - I can't find the link now but a paper was published by a biologist some time back where it had been found that glow-worms had a sac of colloidal selenium in the front of the thorax.

It was found that, by laying on their backs during the day after emerging from cover, enough energy could accumulate to power the glow well into the night.

That seems to explain why glow-worms have, unusually, a disruptive-type camouflage pattern on their undersides:

One has to assume that the scientists have found a large-scale production method for the selenium, as harvesting glow worms would be rather labour-intensive - as well as being not very green.......

It's nice to see we can still learn something from nature!

Pete

Elemental selenium is rare - but it is a natural semi-conductor unlike silicon which has to be doped to exhibit true semiconductor qualities.

But I think it is much rarer than even Lithium - so expensive in that form.

Of course as this is a colloid we don't know how much selenium is actually in it. It might only be trace amounts. Interestingly they don't tell us what the other components in the colloid are - probably secret.

I reckon if its viable though it could even convert the last of the oily hands to at least dabbling with electric flight. I bet 'Timbo the trailblazer' will be the first person on here with one of these.

BEB

No Chris. Silica is silicon oxide and it isn't a semiconductor so it wouldn't work.

But out of interest what exactly are the ligands in your colloid? I'm not familar with colloidal silica - in fact I've never heard of silicon in the base ligand of any colloid. I stand to be corrected by any chemists on here on that of course.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/04/2011 13:01:43

Lol. If I knew that BEB I'd be as clever as you, well, probably not.

What I have is similar to this Colloidal Silica

All I know is that it's a very fine powder that can be mixed with various two part resins to make thick non runny fillets etc. Useful stuff.

Edited By Chris Bott on 01/04/2011 13:08:17

Nice try David, would have been so nice, the end to our, and the worlds storage capacity problems.
To the others, If you Google 'Selcol Cells' you will find that only model flying carried the story in the english speaking world. Plus, 25.2volts for a single cell, that's huge electrical difference for 2 substances, the Chemists among us should be able to work out what the other substance in the cell would have to be.

Well, it was worth a try!

Total truthful and accurate content - oh about 0.01% I would say.

Well there is such an element as selenium of course, colloids do exist, selenium is a natural semiconductor and some of its compounds are photo-electric,.....and that's about it!

You're all far too sharp for us

BEB

PS Blame David - he made me do it Guv

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/04/2011 14:40:04

We'll I'm rather hurt that anyone could question my integrity.......

No, fair cop of course and it could only come from that man BEB, he's a clever old stick don't you think?

It's the third April 1st spoof we've run but here's the thing.....the first one (penned by Chris Card) was about flying a model using your iPhone and it's (sort of) become a reality following the introduction of the Parot AR Drone so...who knows eh?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 01/04/2011 15:05:09

Apparently these cells are currently only available though Father christmas. However I have heard that special deliveries can occasionally be made through his subsiduary, The Tooth Fairy.
Personally I'm waiting for Brian Winch's test reports on a new low cost eco-friendly organic glo fuel formula recently given to him by a Mr Pratchett. I gather the residue smells of bananas.

Ook ?

Glad you spotted this David. A journalistic breakthrough on your part. But when I contacted my mole in Strasbourg he said the EU is already planning to ban these super cells because one AAA sized version would drive an electric saloon car for 50,000 kilometres thereby depriving European governments of billions in fuel duty. So I''m afraid it''s all a no no. Sad eh?

And a pity the news release wasn''t April 2nd when it would have escaped EU control.
Jonnor

Posted by Jonnor on 01/04/2011 18:37:38:
Glad you spotted this David. A journalistic breakthrough on your part. But when I contacted my mole in Strasbourg he said the EU is already planning to ban these super cells because one AAA sized version would drive an electric saloon car for 50,000 kilometres thereby depriving European governments of billions in fuel duty. So I''m afraid it''s all a no no. Sad eh?

And a pity the news release wasn''t April 2nd when it would have escaped EU control.
Jonnor

Ha ha, Jonnor, many a true word..........

Pete