IE9 issues? Can't post.....

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott on 06/05/2011 15:02:40:
Fancy upgrading a web browser and then having to add a feature so users can choose to make it "compatible" with websites. Very Odd!

Not quite Chris. The problem is that as IE complies with more of the 'official' web standards, it exposes more web sites that do not comply with those same standards. However, some of those sites may have been made non-standard to work with, say, IE6.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 06/05/2011 10:30:07:
A decent browser such as Firefox has convinced me to never load IE on any computer - I got so fed up of problems, and the seemingly never ending barrage of so called security issues and updates, that I wont touch it with a bargepole.

There are also many security issues with Firefox. Some reports put it beyond IE when it comes to the most security risks and the severity of them.

I've been very satisfied with IE and have been running IE9 since the beta was released. I suspect that Compatibility mode is needed for RCM & E posts because the site is lacking in adherence to the web standards.

I've used Firefox before but found it slow and for me it no longer offers any advantages over IE. I would also expect that you'd find that most blue-chip companies choose IE for their web browser.

Posted by Andy Green on 11/05/2011 11:13:27:
I did the decent thing and upgraded to IE9.

Now I cant post.

A

There's something wrong with either your PC installation or (more than likely) IE configuration. Several people have reported that IE 9 works ok, as it does for me as I type this message.

I actually posted the same fix five months ago

Having already confused Myron by installing IE9 on his laptop, I absentmindly OK'd the latest "important" update from Microsoft on my own laptop and it installed IE9.
Disaster. My Windows sidebar with clock, calendar and weather disapeared, and when I tried to access any site - BT Yahoo, BBC Iplayer etc, all I got was a message to say that IE9 had switched to Compatibility View because I had tried to access a site designed for older viewers! Damn cheek, that's what I say!
I switched to Google Chrome and had no trouble accessing my email etc. but having read the previous posts, how can I uninstall IE9 and reinstall IE8.
And does anyone know why has IE9 taken/hidden my Windows sidebar stuff and how do I get back?
I'm typing this on Myron's Tosh.
Any advice very much appreciated.
Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Steven Butler on 05/05/2011 19:17:57:
Just in case anyone else has any issues with latest versions of internet explorer I solved this issue by highlighting the 'compatability view' icon on the top toolbar (looks like a rectangle with a zig zig line through it. Once highlighted all was well.
Steve
Edited By Steven Butler on 05/05/2011 19:20:22
I have had the same "can't post" experience. Dave Ashby pointed me to this thread. I'm on 64 bit, IE9, Windows 7.
The solution was simple. Once you know how, everything is isn't it? It was Steve Butler's post that did it for me - just click on compatibilty view.
Job done! Thanks Dave and Steve
Colin

• 2 weeks later...
Martyn Johnson posts the following info too.....Thanks Martyn .

It does seem to be an IE9 compatibility problem, but it is possible to enable Compatibility View for specific websites in Internet Explorer 9.

Open the website that is not displayed correctly or that does not work correctly in Internet Explorer 8 or 9.

Either
1. Click the Compatibility View button that is located directly to the right side of the address bar next to the Refresh button.
Compatibility View  button
or
2. On the Tools menu, click to select the option Compatibility View.
(If the Tools menu is not displayed, press ALT to display the Tools menu.)

Compatibility View on the Tools menu

• 2 months later...
For some that are as "technically challanged "as I am, one of my reasons for not being able to post was the Com/View issue, BUT, the main reason was I could not find the "Comp/View", which is on the of the top of page, the "file, edit, veiw and so on was not activated to show, so until I unlocked that,..... dumb bum me, did not know where to look, hope this helps one person at least
A.A.Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...