Ebay prices

Steve W-O

Is anyone else of the opinion that prices on ebay are becoming very high?

I see that the motors and ESCs are very pricey, kits and ARTFs are 10% or more higher than available elsewhere.

I have bought two cameras in the last few months, a total of £80 less than I could have bought them for on ebay.

I tend to use Ebay to see what is available, then when I see what I am looking for, do a search on the net and find the best price.

Looks like their fees (along with paypal) are having a negative effect, it is no longer the place to find a bargain, unless you happen to get lucky.

Edited By Steve W-O on 25/06/2011 19:38:10

Advert

I have found this too!
It seems that the seller looses out because of the fees, and the buyer gets stiffed with higher prices. What I have also noticed is that postage costs are well over the price they should be most of the time.
I think the only thing that ebay does allow is the platform to sell your items to a worldwide audience. I guess that is what you pay the premium for. You can find just about anything, and you are almost sure you well sell anything.......if the price is right.

Maybe people should start to use the dedicated website set up by a keen modeller for just model related items. It is like ebay and is free.

http://www.rc-model-auction.com/

It has been featured on here before, but alas because everyone was using ebay, no one is advertising on here anymore.
Maybe a revival?

I think it's a tragedy that RC-Model auction is not used more. I did try this site to sell some things and at one point I was the only seller on the site! In the end the items were sold via the ads in the back of RCME on more than one occasion (who says paper print is dead?) .

I have also sold on ebay using Paypal and shifted an untouched OS engine (RRP £378) for £300 before being docked +£30 in charges. Nice work if you can get it! So obviously sellers are going to load the price.

I agree, why don't we use the rc-model-auction again? We should, maybe, as modellers group start navigating more often on that website. We could maybe ask the administrators of RCME to advert that website on here and encourage people auctioning again? What dou you think guys?

Roby

i used to sell on ebay alot.
cant aford to now as their prices are way too high.

i used to sell a battery for £30.
40p to list
£3 ebay fee
£1.50 paypal
£3.00 postage
£20 for the battery in the first place.
so i lost £27.90 in costs from my sale of £30.

wow. £2.10 profit.

not worth the effort.

Kc,

I guess most people do not hold money in paypal, and only use it as a debiting device to take payments from your card and send it to another. You can also transfer money directly out of paypal on receiving money.
As an independent company owned by the ebay organisation, I would presume that it has liability, and if it took your money and you had proof it was there in the first place, the receivers and liquidators would be the people to talk to.
Thing is, I can't really see Paypal going anywhere as does it actually own any assets? Does it actually have any value other then the value of the custom using it?

Posted by Steve W-O on 03/06/2011 09:54:04:
Is anyone else of the opinion that prices on ebay are becoming very high?

I see that the motors and ESCs are very pricey, kits and ARTFs are 10% or more higher than available elsewhere.

I have bought two cameras in the last few months, a total of £80 less than I could have bought them for on ebay.

I tend to use ebay to see what is available, then when I see what I am looking for, do a search on the net and find the best price.

Looks like their fees (along with paypal) are having a negative effect, it is no longer the place to find a bargain, unless you happen to get lucky.

The prices are often ridiculous. I was watching a used Mega motor the other evening, It eventually sold for about £64, which was about £4 cheaper than a brand new one. Bonkers.

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 03/06/2011 10:32:39:

I think it's a tragedy that RC-Model auction is not used more. I did try this site to sell some things and at one point I was the only seller on the site! In the end the items were sold via the ads in the back of RCME on more than one occasion (who says paper print is dead?) .

I have also sold on ebay using Paypal and shifted an untouched OS engine (RRP £378) for £300 before being docked +£30 in charges. Nice work if you can get it! So obviously sellers are going to load the price.

Thanks for mentioning the RC-Model auction site Adrian, have just looked at it, absolutely no items on there at all!!! such a shame as it looks like it could be a fantastic site for us modellers to use.

I wonder why it has failed so badly???