Help! I'm turning full circle.....is anyone else?

Advert

I do get fed up of oily this and faffing around that comments! The only ones faffing around are the ones who don't know how to operate their own engines as for Oiley nope not if you run the exhaust correctly, I can run my magic fun fly all day with a west 36 in it, I can fly it like I stole it and at the end of the day I have virtually no oil on it, in fact there are more grass stains and dirt from the ground on it than anything, so can we give that old chestnut a break please, is there anyone else on here who enjoys cleaning their models down after a days flying? I love the fact i can go in my shed put telly or radio on clean them down and check for damage or stuff coming loose, I have found many a small problem this way and infind it really relaxing! Or am I just odd !

Edited By Lee Smalley on 24/06/2011 14:48:07

I was one who had no time for electric models, as only RTF was thus powered in my youth.

My first engines were all diesels, ED Hornet, AMCO 2.5, ED Racer, AM 35. They headed to a variety of draws, when I studied for a profession.

I came back in my early 30's, then I used Glow engines, Enya, Profi, Merco, OS. I then went for purity, gliders, until I lost interest by my 40's.

I returned to fly electrics in my early 60's, would not consider anything else.

I have a fine collection of electric motors which I proudly display, in the lounge, my wife is really impressed, VIP, Mabuchi, mighty Atom, fine pieces of art., Marvelous she says, absolutely marvelous, others have fine china figurines, what do I have, electric motors, absolutely marvelous.

I know where I am headed

Posted by Lee Smalley on 24/06/2011 14:46:59:
I do get fed up of oily this and faffing around that comments! The only ones faffing around are the ones who don't know how to operate their own engines as for Oiley nope not if you run the exhaust correctly, I can run my magic fun fly all day with a west 36 in it, I can fly it like I stole it and at the end of the day I have virtually no oil on it, in fact there are more grass stains and dirt from the ground on it than anything, so can we give that old chestnut a break please, is there anyone else on here who enjoys cleaning their models down after a days flying? I love the fact i can go in my shed put telly or radio on clean them down and check for damage or stuff coming loose, I have found many a small problem this way and infind it really relaxing! Or am I just odd !

Edited By Lee Smalley on 24/06/2011 14:48:07

If there's no oil on the models then why would you have to spend the evening in the shed cleaning them down after a day's flying? "Virtually" is the qualifier that demonstrates that there is still some oil on there, which attracts that dirt.

I give my models the occasional wipe down to remove mud splashes etc, if the field has been wet , but in the days when I flew glow it was a routine performed at the field, with foaming aerosol cleaners at the end of every flying session. Can't say that I miss that routine in the slightest and, even with the best will in the world there is always a residual stickiness associated with castor-based fuels.

Hi ,

Here in Manchester i have not seen much sun at all this year it has mainly been wet `n` windy, which has set thinking back to my older days when i would be flying come rain or shine .
So i decided to get one of my old planes set-up and see if my flying had changed or just the models i fly .
One model i used to fly a lot 16 years or so a go was a SaS power Blob . Powered by a .15 OS max , Well i was surprised just how well it fly`s in the wind and rain .
So i guess you could say i have not only gone back to ic but also gone back in time .

I guess it could do with being re-covering now .

On thing that has been putting me of flying my electric models is the damp weather , as my electric models reline on air to flow over the battery , esc and motor in order to cool them and in doing so allowing wet air into the inside of the balsa wood model which can not be good .
As an ic model only needs air to flow over the engine , the engine bay is fuel proofed and so ,wet air does not affect the rest of the model .

Posted by Eric Bray on 25/06/2011 12:37:47:
Dust blows off.

Not in my experience!

It seems to lie within the boundary layer - most frustrating when you think a good dusting from a passing combine will be removed by a quick flight.

I'd guess it's much like the reported phenomena of there being no wind when crawling along the top of a Zeppelin but getting blown off if you stand up - not that I've met anyone who's tried it!

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/06/2011 14:00:27

No full circle for me - just IC, oily hands and glow plugs.

Why?

For me, flying RC planes is a really cool way to indulge in my strange fascination with small engines.

I completely understand the arguments for electric power, but those noisy little glow engines are a genuine part of the fun for me.

The beauty of this hobby / sport is that we all get out of it what we want - for me the fun comes in 3 equal parts - flying, building from plans and playing with little engines.

Posted by Shaun K on 25/06/2011 14:20:21:
No full circle for me - just IC, oily hands and glow plugs.

Why?

For me, flying RC planes is a really cool way to indulge in my strange fascination with small engines.

I completely understand the arguments for electric power, but those noisy little glow engines are a genuine part of the fun for me.

The beauty of this hobby / sport is that we all get out of it what we want - for me the fun comes in 3 equal parts - flying, building from plans and playing with little engines.
Spot on.

If an enjoyable part of your hobby involves playing with small engines and gaining maximum enjoyment from the engineering aspects of that then more power to your elbow!

For me personally, whilst I used to enjoy the pitter=patter of my OS .20FS in the late evening sky, mostly the engine/motor has just been a means of turning the propeller at the desired RPM. Different strokes (4 ) different folks.

sigh !! yes eric of course dust blows off!!!!!

dirt, grass, mud, and yes oil as well, my petrol stuff has a few black spots, and all of this needs cleaning off, i personally find it a nice relaxing way to clean my models down and check for damage and security of fixtures and fittings, i just get fed up of some leccy only flyers who use this as a stick to slap IC with, when actually you imagine it to be far worse than it is, People turning full circle are finding out that there is a real joy in operating IC engines, and whilst they may never like the cleaning down bit, they tolerate it for the other benefits, and may i suggest that if you don't own a shed ......build one, your a modeller aint you ??

iv always been into ic. been playing with leccy but just epp flying wings.
i think its all down to how well you can solder.....
been using those mini deans on my latest very small wing and they really test your soldering abilities......
my conclusion is if you can solder........go leccy
if you cant go ic............

Always had i/c,two years ago got a JP Pretty glider.1st elec.model.I was then given MPX twin jet and the hours of fun I have had with that,now added a GWS Corsair to the fleet and this leccy lark is so comfortable and relaxing I thought I am turning,went today with an assortment of models and took my Gladiator fuselage with 90 four st to set engine up.Listening to that was "Game over",I shall still enjoy the leccy models and probably fly them more but I have learned I can live with and enjoy both discilpines of our hobby.
John

David,

I must admit that I like the convenience of electric, and have been flying electric for about 4 years now. But a day out at Old Warden in May certainly fired me up for a 4 stroke powered near scale job probably a Chipmunk or Tiger Moth, nothing to large though. Now the bike has gone and the garage conversion to a workshop has started I should be able to get building again fairly soon.

Cheers,

Chris.

I run both elecric and ic models and enjoy both. you can take the advantages of one over the other to suit that day and if like me use a number of sites to suit where you are flying. Some models tend to suit one or the other as well

but the problem with running both types I find initaly anyway is cost. you need different tools and equipment to each type and if you run both types you need more equipment.

ie electric ic Petrol
lipos starter fuel tubing
watt meter glow starter fuel container
chargers fuel
lipos bags glow wrench
cleaning equip

Hello.

My name is David Davis and I'm a four-stroke addict.

I own:Two HPVT 21s, an HPVT 25 and an HP VT 49.

A Webra T4-40.

An OS 40 Surpass, two 48 Surpasses, a 52 Surpass, a 61FS, (second generation,) and an FL70.

Two Thunder Tiger F-91Ss and a Thunder Tiger F-54S

A Laser 70, 90 and 150.

I also own some models powered by electric motors but I'm really not very interested in them.

Is there any hope for me?

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 02/07/2011 16:17:00