OS electric motors

Tim Mackey

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 19/08/2011 19:25:53:
Wow ! The first lekky motor I've personally ever seen with a "proper" prop shaft extention with a washer and a nut . Is that to appeal to us oily hands?

Myron, I have similar adaptors on AXI and Turnigy motors, also the new MX2 I'm flying came complete with a motor with a proper prop adaptor.

Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 30/08/2011 06:25:27:
OS electric motors, it's the end of aeromodelling as we know it gentlemen.

Hope you didn't go to the Nats and see Mick Reeves new 1/4 scale Spit............ with electric power, flew very well but didn't sound right.

Now the 40% electric Extra that was flying sounded absolutely mean

""Now the 40% electric Extra that was flying sounded absolutely mean""

sounded just like the full size on full chat...a real good rasp to that prop

That Extra was awsome... It sounded fantastic.. Did I hear right, that it has 15KW of power.. !!!

I checked out the AXI motor in that Extra... It costs £830 iirc !!!
But roll on equivalant BIG cc 'affordable' motors..

I'm electric thru and thru, but have to submit to certain models just having to use a large petrol lump.. The Spits being a perfect example..
It's like fitting a Toyota Prieus motor into an AC Cobra... All kinds of wrong..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

I must admit they look nice, but I'm not convinced that their price tag over say Turnigy motorsor even EFlite will offer much more. Difficult market for electric motors; OS has a good reputation in the IC world and they sit in a field of other well known good quality engine manufacturers.

In the EP world, OS seems to be the first to try and translate thier standing/reputation into a already competatively market where I think, only Horizon Hobby has done this before. The big names in quality are Plettenburg, Hacker and so on. Good quality low cost are Turnigy (and all PP, BRC variations), Be interesting to see how competative OS will be. First I've seen of a Futaba motor, but again same company.

I don't buy OS IC engines, not convinced that their much higher price tag brings a much better quality of engine than ASP/Magnum or Super Tigre for your average sport flyer. If you want a super reliable scale motor I buy Saito, If I want power house for pattern/aerobatics I buy YS. Similarly, Nearly all my EP motors are Turnigy (or BRC Wasp/4-Max PP versions) - I have never had an issue with these motors or my IC engines.

I will follow with interest. One thing I do like is that they follow EFlite and label their motors as equiv to IC. I took me ages in my early EP adventures to work out what a 25-26-1600kv or HP220/30 motor actually was. IC/EP Standardisation is great, maybe this will be there key attribute in this market.

The IC-equivalent labelling has been around for ages. I've got quite a few Twister motors that were marketed in such a manner.

Of course it's a bit of a nonsense, because the entire power train - battery -motor (gearbox) - prop - all have to be cnsidered an, because electric motors are so marvellously flexible there is always more than one way to skin a cat.Far better to learn some basic principles and make some measurements than to slavishly rely on someone's idea that an electric motor is a .32 or .60 equivalent. IMO.

I used to have quite a few OS engines - just got the one now, in it's box - for sentimental reasons. The OS electric motors look very nice, and all that, but they are competing in an area where the bang-per-buck of budget motors is so far ahead of the expensive alternatives as to make things very difficult.

Brushless outrunners are pretty simple - the clever bits are in the controllers - and, even compared to brushed motors, where great differences in the commutator and associated gubbins represented a very real difference between the high quality motors and cheap cans - the potential for justification of very high prices is difficult. Fit for purpose springs to mind here and these motors wil be very easy to copy - just as happened to the AXi motors.

So, well done OS for seeing the writing o the wall, but there has to be a big question over whether the market share is there to be grabbed.

Since O.S. produce some nice, but rather expensive, multi-cylinder engines, then they could carry on and produce some contra rotating electric motors - like Sebart tried.
I would love to try one but cant currently see a brand that manufactures them. Perhaps, its the usual money dominated reasons, that O.S. are producing these motors and are only filling the void created by the lessening sales of i.c. engines rather than anything else. Its not as if there are not enough brands out there. O.S., if you are listening, there are very few contra-rotating electric motors so when are yours coming out

Posted by ntsmith on 16/09/2011 09:02:53:

Since O.S. produce some nice, but rather expensive, multi-cylinder engines, then they could carry on and produce some contra rotating electric motors - like Sebart tried.
I would love to try one but cant currently see a brand that manufactures them.

Axi do a nice one ...aint cheap though

Full detailshere

• 3 months later...
Posted by ntsmith on 16/09/2011 09:02:53:
I would love to try one but cant currently see a brand that manufactures them. Perhaps, its the usual money dominated reasons, that O.S. are producing these motors and are only filling the void created by the lessening sales of i.c. engines rather than anything else. Its not as if there are not enough brands out there. O.S., if you are listening, there are very few contra-rotating electric motors so when are yours coming out

Let HK be your friend

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 30/08/2011 06:25:27:
OS electric motors, it's the end of aeromodelling as we know it gentlemen.

Things move on.....I am about to switch to electric......but I will always have a few 4 strokes....and the odd quick 2 stroke ...in my fleet.

Once you appreciate that Power (Watts) = Volts (Volts) x Current (Amps).......you can do simple maths and physics to work it out.

Use the principle that you need 100W of power for every pound in weight of your model. So a 4.5 pound Galaxy Magician......would need 500W to make it fly as well but most probably much much better when compared to the IC equivalent.

So What ESC do I need? Well....500W = (3s) 11.1V x Amps, so 500/11.1 = 45 Amps. To cover this amount of electrical consumption i would opt for a 60A speed controller.

So what battery do I need? Well...the capacity of a battery is like a water storage tank...the bigger the capacity the better I would say. If it has a constant discharge rate of 30C that is 30 times the capacity...so 30 x 3300mah = 99A....meaning that pack can provide 99 Amps constantly until discharged to the safe level. So....our Galaxy Magician's esc is less than this 99A....so a 3300mah 3S pack with a constant discharge of 30C would be pretty good if you ask me.

In reality...when you connect a watt meter up (in line) with the above set up of motor and esc and battery, you will find that the motor draws less than 45 amps......preserving our battery.....but put a beefy prop on it...and you will see the current go UP...because the more load we give our motor...the more current it requires. If you have a 60 amp ecs..never encroach within 80% of its capability...so never ask more than 0.8 x 60 = 48 amps of it. (so our 45 amps calculation is fine)

Remember Bigger Battery (99 amps, 30C x 3300mah= 99A).....big esc 60A......(less than our 99A battery therefore good), and suitable motor (500W using the principle of using 100W per pound)

P = I x V....500 = 45 x 11.1.....sorted!

Edited By Simon Webb on 28/01/2012 20:57:40

600/14.8 = 40 amps

It would be very interesting to see how much the current reading on a watt meter says you are consuming with that set up. With 40 amps being calculated.....you could load it up even more than you are doing....assuming you have a capable esc (ie 60 amp +) fitted.

• 7 months later...

As I am looking for a motor for my latest project I have been considering the OS 32 or an E-flite 32 but comparing the manufacturers specs find a big difference in stated power readings, ie 590W for OS, E-flite 32 up to a possible 800W? No actual test data is provided by either i.e. Voltage, prop size etc.

So what I need to know is there anyone with actual data for the above?

Further has OS understated their data and/or E-flite overstated theirs? Or has one Manufacturer measured input power the other output?

It also seems to me to mean that test data be gathered from a standardised measurement and test regime instead of the rather adhoc way used by all at the moment. Of course it maybe deliberate in order to confuse those of us who buy their products. Aghhhh.

The OS & EFlite websites have info for these motors including prop data.

OS have used the motor's constant current rating of 40A & the nominal

voltage of a 4S under load to get 590W - They could have upped the power

rating by using the 'burst current' rating (75A/10s), but played it straight.

It looks like EFlite have used the Power32's 42A constant current rating &

a 5S nominal voltage to claim around 800W, although 'up to 800W' (& more) could

be achieved on a 4S for short periods as the '32 can sustain 60A 'burst current'

for a few sec.

• 2 years later...

I have just one bit of data on the OS 3820 1200 kv if it's any use. Measured using a poor lipo who's voltage dropped to just over 10v (a Turnigy of some description):

With an i/c MA 9.5x6 inch prop - 330 watts (30 amps), actual thrust measured using string and kitchen scales 1400 gram weight.

That's all I have sorry - I use it on a 50"Seagull PC9.

Well - I can't say I've tested all combinations Phillip - but I used the 5020-490 in a recent conversion.

OS predicted:

47A and 1.18kW with a 14x7 prop.

I actually got:

56A and 1.28kW (that's static on the ground)

So the current was a bit adrift but the power was pretty spot on. So I would hesitate to describe their figures as "fiction"!

BEB