Other Hobbies

Dean

Hi All
I was just interested in what other hobbies/interests people indulge in outside of r/c aircraft.

I'm a bit of a petrolhead I used to be a member of the RS owners club and have owned in the past an RS turbo, RS2000 and 2 Cosworth's.
Next on the list hopefully is a kit car.
I am also a massive motorsport fan loving F1 and British Touring Cars at the minute.

Dean

Advert

Okay, let's see.

Got a finished Locost kit car stashed in my garage which I'm still planning on converting to EFi and supercharging. Has a Honda ST1100 motorbike engine in it.
Got a nice little homebrew beer full mash thing developing
Fly fishing (none of that angling stuff)
Just finished renovating my house
Recently got into scuba-diving
Quite keen on gardening / fruit + veg growing
.... the list goes on

PS which kit car are you looking at?
PPS Boardman's win at Knockhill- Inspired or just plain dangerous driving?

Hmm

I guess like many I have had an intrest in cars.

I bought and undertook a complete rebuild and respray of a Triumph GT6, quickly realised it was a death trap, terrible oversteer and rear end jacking into corners. That is after new springs all round, hard set adjustable shock absorbers and new discs and uprated brakes. Started the rebuild of a Fast Back Spitfire Mk3 that has now stalled for +10 years, after installing overdrive, swing spring rear suspension engine rebuild (with elctronic ignition and oil cooler). Bought a complete set of body panels including sills. Then ran out of enthusiasm

I have also been a club cyclist, doing the 100 miles in 6hrs etc? Knock out 75 mile club ride every week end. Rode the Manchester Velodrome a few times, that is before it became fashionable. Still like riding, only to the shops or a pub, now.

Also have been into hill walking, although now my wife has asthma, it is limited. Unlike Jan Uhlrich, exercise brings it on, as well as more mundane things.

Returned to aeromodelling I now guess 7 years back.

My main other hobby used to be cars. Built a few kit cars and I used to mess around with Spifires. The nicest one I did was fitted with a triumph 2.5ltr straight 6. That went well. Didn't stop so good though Then I messed around with minis for bit but lack of space and a growing family sort of put a halt on it. I've been a keen motorcyclist for over 20 years travelling all over to many rallies. However, this hobby was halted, just over 2 years ago, when I was hit head on by some idiot cutting a corner on me.
So after they put my right arm back together I got back in to flying r/c aircraft. I like being at field a bit of relaxed banter and a bit of flying. I can't fly for too long as my arm starts aching and I loose concentration. Hopefully a few more ops will sort it out once and for all.

Andy

My main hobby is RC flying/modelling but I'm also into real planes and airshows. I can't class it as a hobby but i do enjoy messing around with the tractor on the occasion. But there is not alot of time inbetween school and cadets so i don't have multiple hobby's. I use to fish until I moved away from the river into a more open area which means flying is much easier! But Rc flying is my main now.

Tom

Posted by Dorset flyer on 08/09/2011 23:42:47:

There is nothing "outside" of R/C aircraft you blasphemous fool!!!!!!!.... BURN HIM!!!!!

HA HA I will take myself to the bottom of the garden and have a word with myself!!

Failing that i will be available on the 5th of November for your bonfire!!!!!!!

Dean

Hi Ben B
Your kit car sounds awesome did you built it yourself? i have been for a ride in a zetec powered westie and an S2000 powered MK Indy which was mental!!
I have the Haynes Roadster book and quite like the look of the GBS Zero.

Was working nights sat and sunday so didn't watch btcc but did record it sounds like an interesting race.

Dean

Posted by Derek Stevenson on 09/09/2011 20:27:25:
I play a flute in a flute orchestra and in the winter shoot pheasants with a 12bore shotgun. The spaniel who hunts the pheasants also likes to chase the shadow of the planes? Spaniels are a bit crazy

I don't think I've ever seen a pheasant with a 12 bore shotgun - damn brave of you though - I mean they might shoot back

BEB

Posted by Dean on 09/09/2011 20:21:31:
Hi Ben B
Your kit car sounds awesome did you built it yourself? i have been for a ride in a zetec powered westie and an S2000 powered MK Indy which was mental!!
I have the Haynes Roadster book and quite like the look of the GBS Zero.

Was working nights sat and sunday so didn't watch btcc but did record it sounds like an interesting race.

Dean

Oh yes, built it myself over the course of about 6 years. It's lovely to drive. Certainly fast enough for me. Only problem is the carbs bogging down when I floor it hence the switch to EFi.... If the supercharger plan ever comes to fruition it'll be silly fast :D

If you're not on Locostbuilders it would be worth joining, plenty of friendly people.