Ebay sellers...

Posted by Andrew767 on 15/11/2013 21:24:09:

Rob and Bearair.....one of you please start another thread.....it doesn't belong here but it is a worthy discussion and to be honest i'm curious as to where it's going.

Andrew

I'm old school balsa and film, and also like free-flight. I thought foamies were toys and resisted computer radios -till I got a foamie (PZ Wildcat) and a Futaba 7c.Now I am converted!

As far as I can see all the seller has done (good result Bearair) is to remove the words Boat and Car from the description.

Meaning that it will be no easier or more difficult for anyone wanting the radio for its proper, legal purpose to find it, and less likely that a newby boat/car person may find it and bid on it not realising the issues. So I don't see how this will help the seller get a good price or make this less of a bargain. If anything it will reduce the selling price as part of his (illegitimate) target audience has gone.

Posted by John Privett on 15/11/2013 21:56:58:

As far as I can see all the seller has done (good result Bearair) is to remove the words Boat and Car from the description.

Meaning that it will be no easier or more difficult for anyone wanting the radio for its proper, legal purpose to find it, and less likely that a newby boat/car person may find it and bid on it not realising the issues. So I don't see how this will help the seller get a good price or make this less of a bargain. If anything it will reduce the selling price as part of his (illegitimate) target audience has gone.

To be fair his new title is not much better and he has amended the description that clearly none of you actually read!!, but to re explain myself had you searched ''plane controller'' before the amendment you would not of seen the advert, anyone looking at boats would of seen the item but would not be interested in the item as its for aircraft. Now a greater percentage of people that are interested in ''planes'' will now see the advert meaning more interest and bids.

As for newbies and ''illegitimate target audience'' There is not a chance on earth in this stone age that a newbie in the boating world would buy this item, they would all buy a ready to run out of the box job just like they do when they want an rc spitfire. Oh and it would defiantly be on 2.4 not 35mhzcheeky

People do act strangely on Ebay. I needed a new keypad for my house alarm. Buy it now price (new in box) is £27 including delivery. There was one being sold by a low feedback private seller in "as new condition", not in box, no instructions etc. Sold for £26.90. Bizarre. And if you go off Ebay (which quite clearly people don't bother to do) you can get them from CPC for £20 including delivery! It's almost like people prefer the uncertainty and the "excitement" of bidding.... perhaps that what it is...

Indeed Ben, a lot of items you find on eBay are cheaper elsewhere, sometimes by a large margin.

I am finding eBay to be more problematic as each year goes on. You find hundreds of sellers who resort to "Keyword spamming" which is adding words that are not relevant to the item so that it appears in more searches. Found a Spektrum Dx6 which was also labelled Futaba, JR and Keil Kraft!

It makes finding what you want a chore somtimes.

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 18/11/2013 18:04:04:

Something Bearair might like:**LINK**

A sensible picture and description - quite a change for this thread! teeth 2

I'm intrigued by the bit about postage, "May not post to Switzerland" and when you click on the postage tab, the message in red, "The seller hasn't specified a postage method to Switzerland." But if you click on the 'change country' drop-down, the only option is United Kingdom! So why the special notidication about not shipping to Switzerland? frown Why not say, "May not post to Italy" or to Germany, New Zealand, or any of the other 100+ countries you can't pick? Strange!

Posted by Paul Marsh on 25/11/2013 16:06:36:

"Rare", apparently. Still rubbish, but what a price. £200 for a 70's heli, without engine,radio. Seen people trying to sell these at swopmeets, and even they don't sell.

**LINK**

Not as rare as you think, I see these come up on ebay quite often as I am into Vintage R/C Heli's. I also know of a UK shop that still has some in stock Brand New and in their boxes.

I doubt you would pay £200 for one new and I certainly wouldn't pay it for a used one, it would have to be something special and ultra rare to command that sort of price.

Mark

Posted by BSR on 26/11/2013 22:54:10:

How about this?

ebay item: 251384834733

A MUST for collectors. Of cardboard boxes. Slightly grubby. He's honest enough to admit there isn't a kit in there though. But if you also collect offcuts of balsa....

There is a nostalgia market for kit boxes. It seems strange to those who prefer flying to collecting, but once a vintage engine or kit is broken out of it's seal (like the bubble packed little Cox engines) their value plummets.So there is not a huge difference in collecting kit which will never be opened, to collecting a box which also will never be opened.

Out of sheer boredom while waiting for the 6 o'clock news I was watching "Toy Hunter" On Really.

THe man was visitng toy collectors to buy stuff. These collectors had all their stuff piled into storage units or in cellars or stack six deep on shelves.

They could never see most of their collection so it would seem that possesion was more important that actually being able to see, display and enjoy their items.

Posted by Peter Miller on 01/12/2013 08:36:19:

Out of sheer boredom while waiting for the 6 o'clock news I was watching "Toy Hunter" On Really.

THe man was visitng toy collectors to buy stuff. These collectors had all their stuff piled into storage units or in cellars or stack six deep on shelves.

They could never see most of their collection so it would seem that possesion was more important that actually being able to see, display and enjoy their items.

I recently bought a Matchbox Cessna 1973 brand new sealed in the box. I obviously had been stored away some where safe as the cardboard was pristine with no sign of UV damage. It did not cost much more than the modern made in china equivalent. It was part of a large collection that was been sold off. On receipt of the item I opened it and gave it to my 3 year old to play with.

Edited By Phil 9 on 01/12/2013 09:44:18

Posted by Peter Miller on 03/12/2013 08:51:32:

Tired of life?

Quicker than castor oil and probably quicker than cyanide.

Ha, their's not a chance I'd trust the brakes on that at 100mph. He's defiantly got money to waste says he only bought the bike 6 mths ago for £700 then incl the turbines and electronics etc this must be standing him over £4k

baz