Ebay sellers...

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/05/2015 08:23:07:

You thought that EBay sellers were nuts. Well I have just been told about this modern art auction in Germany

THis auction features a model aircraft, Look at the bid and the estimated sale price.

**LINK**

Get out your old models, sell them as works of art

Do you think there's a decimal point error? No?

Perhaps not. As John P says above, there are times when I KNOW the world has gone absolutely mad and this is one of those. It just confirms my view that the definition of a work of art is that the person who did it has been to art school and is therefore an artist.

There's a guy I've seen in the hangar at the Nats who brings a stack of beautiful rubber powered aeroplanes and seems to spend most of the day flying them while the rest of us are out on the airfield. His models must be worth millions

Geoff

Paul, Paul, Paul... (where's the 'shakes head' smiley when you need one?) you haven't got the hang of this "modern art" rubbish, have you?

It's not a "rubber band", it's an organically-derived, dynamic energy storage and delivery system. Why do you think these items are so expensive? smile d

Hi all. I have recently sold a Vintage Futaba radio set and servos including its built in battery and a seperate nimh Rx battery. Trouble is I can't find anyone that will post it!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to post such an item?? I have tried Parcel Farce and Hermes with no joy.

When I sold and posted a transmitter, including it's battery, I sent it by Royal Mail and lied when asked about the contents. Provided it's not a liquid electrolyte cell then I wouldn't worry about it but take reasonable precautions to make it safe to post. I removed the battery and packed it seperately but in the same parcel. so there was no danger of its being discharged. The new regulations are nonsense and full of inconsistencies.

Geoff

Hi, you are in the wrong post, but 2 conditions apply,

1 the idiot over the counter/phone assumed that when you mentioned battery it was a lipo battery.

2 you did not jump up and down with sufficient vigour.

This will ship by anyone, perhaps don't mention batteries, lest you cause a triggering of the only synapse the recipient possesses. If you mention batteries, make absolutely plain they are not those death batteries lipo.

Actually they are happy to post a Lipo if it's packed seperatly and brand new!! Nimh nicad and all liquid cells are banned from postage no matter what condition they are in. I think I might just refund the guy and sell it again collection only or no battery's.

That can't be true. I've had Instant NMh packs posted to me relatively recently and everyone who buys a Taranis radio (and presumably other transmitters) receive them with battery packs. Just pack it and post it and, if necessary, lie.

Geoff

my new lipos arrive by parcel force from elmsett (hk uk warehouse) and clearly state on the package what they are and a warning not to ship if the package is damaged so i'd try them though it will cost about £11

Edited By Phil Winks on 10/05/2015 21:39:04

Retailers such as hobbyking have a contract with Parcel Force which enables them to ship lipo's. This is different to what the general public can do, although you can declare at the post office that they are in the parcel, so long as they are fitted in a transmitter, laptop etc. as part of the equipment.

I wouldn't risk lying about the contents and try to ship lipo's, if something goes badly wrong you could be held responsible. In any case if the parcel is damaged and opened for inspection (which has happened to me, although no lipos involved) then they can I believe dispose of the consignment.

I will say again. Lipos are fine to post as long as they are NOT fitted to equipment ARE packaged seperatly and are BRAND NEW.

I am trying to send a 1980s Futaba with a built in NICAD and a seperate NIMH Rx pack. These are excluded no matter how they are packed or what age they are.

Yes, I read that but still sent my old Futaba transmitter complete with battery. The silly thing is batteries coinnected to a piece of kit is potentially more dangerous than one on its own becuase it can discharge, possibly overheat and cause a problem. Highly, highly unlikely, of course but just possible. I'd really like to see the reasoning behind those restrictions.

I sent my transmitter just after that document came out and the person receiving the parcel specifically asked me about the batteries. Eventually she believed me when I said they were new in their original packaging. I suspect now, nobody will ask. I've taken parcels in since then and they could have contained batteries but didn't and I was never asked.

Paranoia rules, I guess, after the lithium fires and they ban batteries that are safe. I buy zinc air batteries in 100s for my hearing aid and I suspect they are no safer than NiMh.

Geoff

Posted by Andrew Ray on 11/05/2015 08:12:24:

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic..........

Is this wooden aeroplane one of those cartoon type models that used to be seen flying at shows? It's listed under radio control and I can't see the linkages, they're rather well hidden devil

(and before anyone thinks I'm serious this is tongue in cheek)

I think it's lovely If I had children or, at my age, grandchildren of the right age I'd get one.

Geoff