Ebay sellers...

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/05/2015 08:57:55:

Just spotted this in EBay. Can anyone work out what it it is.

At first glance it looks like a three cylinder radial side valve engine but the you realise that the prop blades are attached to the crankcase. Thennthere are no carbs and so it goes on.

The wierd one

I think its just a decorative item - look at photo 5, the size of the cylinder at the union with the crankcase looks far to small to me - of course I reserve the right to be talking utter rubbish........

The lack of normal carburettors and apparent fixing of the propeller blades suggests that it is a rotary engine with induction through the crank-case? It is also possible though that the apparent fixing to the crank-case might actually be to a slim planetary gearbox, so that the engine is not a rotary? Although it looks like a side-valve four-stroke, I suppose that the apparent valve box on the cylinder sides coukd actually be part of a crank-case based induction system?

Whatever,it's fascinating and I'd love to get my hands on it, although I don't think that I'll be making an offer.

I quite like it blush but not £100 like it. Would be nice with a clock in the middle.

Oh and 5th picture along, zoom in - the heads have all been snapped off of something in the past by the look of things.  Ouch.

Edited By Andy Meade on 19/05/2015 09:30:54

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 19/05/2015 09:14:25:

At first glance it looks like a three cylinder radial side valve engine but the you realise that the prop blades are attached to the crankcase. Thennthere are no carbs and so it goes on.

The wierd one

I think its just a decorative item - look at photo 5, the size of the cylinder at the union with the crankcase looks far to small to me - of course I reserve the right to be talking utter rubbish........

It is not radial, it must be rotary. Must be off a full-size plane as it is big. I guess it is described as decorative as it needs oil and fuel feeds,etc.

Posted by ted hughes on 19/05/2015 23:37:11:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 19/05/2015 09:14:25:

The wierd one

It is not radial, it must be rotary. Must be off a full-size plane as it is big. I guess it is described as decorative as it needs oil and fuel feeds,etc.

Its described as a "look alike" and also noted that it does not turn or spin - so I would bet your last dollar its a decorative item repro only

The cylinders look like compressor parts to me - the plug leads look as though they are connected into the air outlets and any aircraft engine would have dual ignition anyway. The blades are from a variable pitch or constant speed unit but certainly not mounted properly.

I suspect someone has knocked it up out of miscellaneous scrap parts in their lunch hour...

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/05/2015 02:02:59

It does look some what unusual.

The connection between each of the cylinders to what you would assume to be a crankcase appears to be a screwed type connection. The internal diameter of such a connector would not appear to be large enough to enclose a conventional connecting rod, that is without considering the space swept as it oscillates back and forth.

Assuming that these are piston type enclosures, that is a one piece cylinder head and barrel, could the arrangement just push a rod to and fro. is it then possible that these rods are then in contact with some form of cam within what is seen as a crankcase?

I do not recognise this type of motor, other than potentially be using something akin to a swash plate motor?

If it is something along these lines, it could be as suggested that it is or was never an IC motor, the spark plugs could be a after fitment.

There was some interest about my electric Ezee Pezee a few weeks back. There's an unstarted kit on offer here:

**LINK**

The strange thing is, it uses my photographs of my Ezee Pezee as illustrations! He's also asking about 4 x times what I paid for mine as a part finished 'plane I've also advised him that the pictures are copyright to me.

Geoff

Complain to Ebay about the infringement of your copyright. EBay will remove the listing

There was a copy of my book on four strokes listed. the listing included a list of contents etc.

A friend then listed his and the first lister complained bay and they tok my friend's listing off due to infringement of copyright.

He was not using the firt person's material, just what was in the book.

I did cid contact him and he apologised and said he'd tried to remove them. I told him not to bother and, if truth be told, I felt I'd been a bit mean spirited to complain. It's not as if I'm a professional photographer and I feel slightly flattered they were used

Anyway, I hope the buyer builds it and has as much fun with it as I have with mine. Not the most aerobatic machine, and ugly as sin, but it's fun to to try and I was quite pleased with my first electric conversion. The second, maidened yeaterday, is even better and genuinely aerobatic.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...