Ebay sellers...

Advert

Funnily enough I bought a .50FS on Ebay in the last couple of months. This had been described as new and never used. This turned out not to be the case as there was plenty of evidence that it had been run and the crank bearings sounded decidedly gritty - not to mention a sheared bolt ion the head which had been super glued in . (It had been very well cleaned and the photos looked good). I pointed out this to the seller to be told that he had never run it and it looked new to him when he bought it (turned out to be from a car boot sale - the box and the manual were in wonderful condition!). He also informed me that he did not accept returns as stated in the ebay ad. I contacted Ebay and have had a full refund . (I posted the thing back to him - so far it has not turned up on ebay again!)

So lesson learnt!

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 10/06/2015 08:34:05:

Here's an interesting one. " Brand new in box " yet the cylinder head has obviously been removed and not replaced correctly. Buyer beware?

LINK

The carb is also crooked and there is no needle valve (although it may be in the box of course, don't hold your breath). Why do these Muppets not even get the head on straight, it's not difficult, the clue is in the fins.

Shaunie.

Posted by Martyn K on 10/06/2015 13:12:30:

I pinged the seller. Apparently he bought it as BNIB and hasn't touched it since.

Reorder these words "barge" "touch" "not" "pole"

Martyn

In that case, judging by the amount of corrosion, I would say it is probably from the first production run. A "collectable" one, or even "vintage" wink 2

Looks about par for the course for a NIB eBay engine. I have bought 4 engines from eBay. All described as brand new in box. Only once did I receive a truly new in the box example and that came from a brand new eBay seller - guess he hadn't received the memo about being underhanded when it comes to selling engines on there. If you want honest sellers you have to look at the well used engines.

Furthermore if the engine in question has even the slightest hint of being of interest to a collector then you're out of luck. These engines experience some of the most competitive bidding I have ever seen in 11 years on eBay.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 10/06/2015 21:11:31

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/06/2015 09:31:12:

be very wary indeed. It's an old model, maybe 10-15 years at least. The surface finish looks almost chemically etched. With current model ASP 40s from HK for his starting price he is a real optimist!

Older than that most likely, I'd say probably 20-25 years old.

I bought one, genuinely "brand-new" in about 1991. It is an OS FP40 clone and I believe mine actually cost less then the ebay one at the time.

Mine was pretty gutless, and very tight at the top end initially. It was also very choosy about the glow plugs it would run on, an Enya no.3 or a grotty, unidentified plug from the bottom of my flightbox were the only ones it would run on successfully at both top and bottom end. I certainly wouldn't want another one...

Regarding engines on e-bay, I have been very lucky (or careful). Bought 3 BNIB which were (and about half retail), a collection of "scruffy" engines, of which I restored 4 at a cost of £15.00 and a HB40 for £7.00 which needed a fair bit of work, but has turned out a "monster" (powerful) engine. So I can't complain !

On the subject of reasonable sellers I have spotted this **LINK**

Maybe a bit older than the impression given, but appears to be a nice model and at not much more than the current kit price, which by the way, I only have 3 left if anyone wants one.

Here's another listing which had me baffled.

Why would someone pay £46.01 inc p&p for a used ASP 32, from a seller who " doesn't do returns" when you can buy, also on EBAY, a brand new one from HobbyKing for £49.52 inc p&p? Just Engines also sell them for around £52 delivered with a 2 year guarantee.

It just doesn't make sense!

LINK

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 14/06/2015 18:09:07

All lovely park flyers a real shame he couldn't make the business work but having said that two years ago I contacted him and offered to take most of his H2O spares at the last known retail price and haven't heard a word since I suspect he won't get that much for the job lot. I do wish I had the money to purchase the copyright and tooling because I'm sure that range of models could do better than they did they really are nice to fly in calmer (sub 10mph winds) conditions

Why don't you contact him Phil ? He might not be looking at financial gain, judging by how he is advertising the spares. Defunct businesses generally have little value and he may be interested in seeing the products continuing to be made.

Nothing ventured, as they say.

I would agree with you normally Kevin but I really couldn't offer him any where near a half honest price at the min and until next year at the earliest wouldn't have half the time needed to do any venture like that justice though I am tempted to bid as that would keep my H2O & Hustle in the air for more than a few seasons and leave spares to move on possibly as complete kits

So how does this work?
I bought a servo from a private seller... unwrapped it, put it in the servo tester and it didn't move but got red hot! Contacted the seller who said it was working when he packaged it. He had 100% feedback. Asked for a return address, he never answered any more emails.

Went through ebay dispute, and they were really helpful. Money credited back to me after they intervened and sent me a postage label to get it back to him.

Do they then claw that back from the seller?

Posted by Stevo on 22/06/2015 17:55:03:

This must be on its 6th or 7th relisting by now... the price has always remained the same...

Another fine example of someone who is a speculative e-bayer. However, he is being honest in his description and the photos are ok. We might think that the price is high, but as a used car salesman I know says, "There is a bum for every seat".

Posted by Spice Cat on 23/06/2015 21:54:50:

I immediately liked the look of this until I saw the price. From description he's spent £500 on it. Unless I've missed something like a gold plated spinner, he's been ripped off.

I won't follow suit by paying the asking price...

I don't want to buy it but if he paid £500 for that,i might be interested in selling him something.

Andrew

Something not quite right there. Makes it sound like he knows what he is on about, but gluing servos in a 52 powered aerobatic model !!! Also if you check his feedback you won't find any other references to modelling items. No argument with the quality of the add, but I think a bit optimistic with his reserve.