Musical backing tracks

Just a general interest question really....

We see some most excellent videos of people flying their models often with some wonderfully atmospheric background music.

I was wondering what the rules are for using such music & then posting the resultant video in 'tinternet.....by doing this are you in breach of copyright?

For instance if I was to create a video of a vintage model floating around to the opening bars of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" might I feel the full weight of Pink Floyds lawyers decednd upon me?

If so how do I know which music I can use???

I'd be interested to hear your views.....

Advert

U tube certainly will block it - I had several clips with Pink Floyd background music, but the music was blocked within minutes of hosting. I now use a clip from U tubes library to suit - and you can also apply a filter to your selection process, which then only shows clips of the same duration as your movie. Some of it is naturally quite naff, but then again, some is fine.

Posted by Tim Mackey on 25/11/2011 13:26:33:
Your volume control broken then Tom?

My volume control is faulty, it reduces the music, but doesn't increase the natural (engine, wind etc) sounds at the flying site at the same time.

I agree, it does take quite a bit of talent to get the audio levels correct when recording the natural sounds and it is much easier to overlay a sound track, but it is worth it, what can have more atmosphere than the sounds heard when flying?

Why bother about filming it actually flying at all, use a green screen and add false surroundings along with the false sound?

Must say, I find most music choices meaningless (if I don't know the music or what the video editor was thinking) or totally cheesy (dambusters theme with a flying bomber model) so it just makes the video so boring I hit the back button.

Sorry, I think many good flying videos are destroyed by having the sound track replaced by music.

Edited By Steve W-O on 25/11/2011 15:12:39

This threads wrongly titled in my eyes, it should read "musical backing track to flying video". Actually flying to music is a very difficult skill requiring much practice, I have many friends who can do it but try as I might I have never mastered the art. Being an old dog I find it hard to learn new tricks.

This threads wrongly titled in my eyes, it should read "musical backing track to flying video". Actually flying to music is a very difficult skill requiring much practice, I have many friends who can do it but try as I might I have never mastered the art. Being an old dog I find it hard to learn new tricks.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/11/2011 17:06:35:
Basically Steve, if its not your recording of your music, or sold as "public use copyright free", then you can't play it without infringing copyright. In short that means you can't use about 99.999999% of the music you probably have access to sadly

BEB

And even your own music or voice if you record it on a Sony digital device!

But I wonder about midi files, there are midi files for most music if you spend time searching, and although they may not sound much on a PC, play them through a decent midi device, or convert to MP3 and you have something quite different and sounds very good.

Very grey area in implementation, though possibly clear in theory.

I think it is a case of suck and see, if it is not removed, carry on.

I download music from Youtube for my videos. Youtube will notify you of any copyright issues. They will either remove the soundtrack or add a 'buy from' tag, which appears just below the video viewing pane. They will also add an advert to your video.

The way round copyright issues on Youtube videos in particular is to use a programe such as Fraps. Fraps records sound/video as a 'proxy' programe. One can then extract the MP3 soundtrack and post to your video. Youtube in this instance is not able to access key information about the soundtrack and will not issue a copyright warning.

Fraps is not free. But carries a lifetime license with updates.

I also use www.dvdvideosoft.com This is a free software (with updates). As, occassionally Youtube re-writes it's source code to circumvent downloading of available videos.

BB

Edited By BB on 25/11/2011 17:43:44

Posted by Tim Mackey on 25/11/2011 17:14:55:
OK Ok Brian, I get the message
( I'll alter the title )

I wasn't that rattled Tim. I seem to be plagued by occasional multiple posts on this forum.

Well my video of the JP-480-SI maiden has still got the music, i did receive an email from youtube telling me that it may a copyright infringement from blah corp but i thought "well i have done it now i can't be bothered to change it, if they take it down they take it down".

But it's still there, in future i would not consider using music that may cause copyright issues, it just didnt occur to me when i made this vid as it was my first one and i was rather proud lol (sad i know)

As already said, unless it's your own music, performed and recorded by yourself then there's probably a copyright infringement.

As for what youtube do about it... well that depends! It seems that some copyright owners take a stronger stance on the issue, others are more laid back about it. I once uploaded a gliding video with Fleetwood Mac's Albatross (ok, corny, I know!) as a background track. Youtube suppressed the soundtrack before even I had viewed it.

Currently I have two videos that youtube have notified me - several months after uploading - that they have "detected" copyright material on. (One is a soundtrack I added myself, the other was backing music on the PA system at a model show and was "detected" despite the wind noise, engine noise etc.) In each of these two cases I'm informed that the video is now blocked in Germany - but nowhere else. I think it was Sony who hold the copyright in both these instances.

It doesn't necessarily have to be music composed by you. Many great old songs and tunes are way out of copyright, as well as almost all classical compositions. If you Google copyright law, no doubt you can find out how long copyright protection exists for composers and performers.

But it is not too difficult to knock out a simple old tune or even compose your own on any reasonably decent keyboard, or using one of the many computer software programs for generating music. (Some of the latter can be a bit expensive, but lots of software is available for free download if you Google for them. Or look out for free software on PC magazine cover discs. You can sometimes also find or buy libraries of royalty-free tracks for use in videos etc, although many are quite short clips).