End of an era

Steve W-O

If what I have read is correct, we had the last F1 season on FTA ending today.

I was away when it seems all the fuss was, but it looks as if sky is going to put an end to F1 as a sport as they have with cricket and rugby.

I thought it would come, but still sad.

I am one of the 87% of people on the poll that won't subscribe to sky sports, I will have to make do with every second race, until sky takes it all, then only the results. I wder fo how long that will satisfy the major sponsors.

RIP F1

Advert

BBC are indeed showing all next year's races, but only 10 (I think that's the right number) will be live. The rest will be shown later in the day as an "extended highlights" edition.

I already have Sky, but might take up their upgrade offer which it appears will cost an extra tenner a month, but get me Sky+ and HD whereas I currently just have "ordinary" Sky. Apparently if I sign-up in time and jump through a few hoops then I can have £100 in Marks and Sparks vouchers... Not sure whether to do this now, or wait and see if any better deals appear between now and next March. The sky coverage will be on a new channel dedicated to F1. Or so they say.

(Again,  somebody else types faster than me!)

Edited By John Privett on 27/11/2011 18:49:16

Posted by Steve W-O on 27/11/2011 18:33:48:
If what I have read is correct, we had the last F1 season on FTA ending today.

I was away when it seems all the fuss was, but it looks as if sky is going to put an end to F1 as a sport as they have with cricket and rugby.

I thought it would come, but still sad.

I am one of the 87% of people on the poll that won't subscribe to sky sports, I will have to make do with every second race, until sky takes it all, then only the results. I wder fo how long that will satisfy the major sponsors.

RIP F1

tis true but don't blame Sky, its all down to Bernie E, and all the money he wants no doubt? just as well i do have full sky though
Simion

I have had the HD setup for around 3 years - and Im on my 3rd box.
Been nowt but trouble since we "upgraded" and only threats to leave them completely, resulted in a free exchange of box...which also packed up some 4 months later.
Same threat again, and ANOTHER box supplied.
I dont subscribe to sports channels, - we have all the movie stuff, but I get / got all the sport I need on terrestrial - I stopped watching the full F1 coverage a couple of years ago - the boredom was killing me, and now, the highlights are more than enough for me...even then I often fast forward a lot of the coverage.
I used to watch MOTD, but find I have now grown tired of that nonsense too - yap yap yap, same old same old, over-paid prima donas prancing around like they actually do something useful in the world.
Sport to me is a bit like alcohol - if they banned it all tomorrow I wouldn't bother one bit.
Sorry, rant mode now off.

F1 is the one and only sport (apart from the Red Bull air races come to think of it) that I ever watch . So I won't be taking out a Sky subscription to just watch ten or so programmes a year. As for the Olympics --no comment ! Why do some people like to watch others doing what most of us could do given the time/money /insentive /unemployment etc etc
Where (.I've been grumpy all day without my mouse ) is mi coat !! Even that printed itself in the wrong order so I've left it to prove the point Aaagh !!
Myron YO 13 home for the bewildered dept

I wish that they would stop interupting normally scheduled programs on normal television for blooming FOOTBALL!!! i have no interest in any sport but football the least..... with Sky and Satanter around make the footy fanatic's pay to watch the games giving more revenue to Sky etc... and leave my blooming normal channels alone!!!!!

Interesting, I see a pattern emerging here. As a kid I never liked sport - particularly ball games. I liked motor racing and aeroplanes. As I got older I failed to change, I still only like motor racing and aeroplanes! And it seems I'm not alone.

Were we all the kid that was left over after the school's two "prima donnas" had picked their sides for football - the one neither wanted even if it gave them an extra man! Is that part of the common heritage of aeromodellers I wonder?

Were we all the kids that sat out PE reading "The Observer's Book of Aeroplanes"!

Were we the ones that didn't know the names of any footballers but could tell you the top speed of any aircraft in current production and knew names like Fangio and car companies like Masseratti?

BEB

BEB - yes for football that was the case, for rugby I was always picked first - they liked having a fast winger.

For cross country and long distance endurance type events I got picked first after the DoE when the football prima-donna's sprinted off, saying they'd do it really fast and I just jogged at a nice pace - I passed them after a mile and they caught up with my at the overnight stop - where I had already set up my tent, got a campfire going and had my food. I had also opened my bottle of (not known by instructor type) firewater. I'd only arrived 4 hours before them......

back to the main topic - I don't watch much sport, and most of my TV is sky+, so don't get interupted much, and can watch on my timetable....

Posted by Dorset flyer on 28/11/2011 00:04:57:
I wish that they would stop interupting normally scheduled programs on normal television for blooming FOOTBALL!!! i have no interest in any sport but football the least..... with Sky and Satanter around make the footy fanatic's pay to watch the games giving more revenue to Sky etc... and leave my blooming normal channels alone!!!!!

Blimey DF, another one not interested in football. I had to show my wife this 'cos she thinks I am the only one who doesn't show any interest in the stupid game. Cheers mate

Geoff

Foot ball -opiate of the non participators (supporters) No longer is it a game but big business .
I too was one of those that spent a dinner time flying control line aeroplanes in the lunch break twice a week on the rugby/cricket field whilst the big hefty guys who played rugby got the jobs of prefects and house head boys and eventually went to the posh universities. Creative people don't seem to matter much do they .Not what you know but who you know !
There You've started me off again ,but at least i'm not alone it seems
Myron YO13 Home for the bewildered dept .

The game's not stupid, but there are many involved who are!

However, I have to admit that I can get quite entertained by a good game of football and maintain a passive interest in the fortunes of the team I supported as a youngster.

I do find the blanket attitude that because some people don't enjoy watching it, it is by definition stupid rather irritating. Personally, I find watching golf slighty less interesting than X-Factor, which itself is leagues below going clothes shopping with 'er indoors for entertainment value but I do know that those who take an interest are absolutely intrigued by the subtleties of swings, swerves, lies and tee shots that totally pass me by.

At least I've found something to disagree with BEB on now although I do enjoy F1 as well!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/11/2011 13:52:32

I've already given my take on football but regarding "F1 - a different sort of parade, where the team who is fastest at changing wheels - wins."

...well, you're quite right, if the wheels fall off after a change then it's the defining factor, as it is in the case of a win by a fraction of a second but the fascination to me is that each part of the team, be it design, manufacture, development, pit crew, strategy or driver needs to be working together to the utmost efficiency to enable the wheel change to become that defining factor.

The driver, who admittedly is safer now than he's ever been, still has to make critical decisions under immense physical and mental pressure and only those who've proved themselves worthy get to sit in the cockpits of the cars with race-winning potential. It's no coincidence that in multi-discipline sports contests, it is more often than not the racing drivers who prove to be the fittest and multi-talented sportsmen.

I do agree about paying Sky for the privilege of watching what you can get from freeview for the most part.  I would certainly not consider paying for what has always been traditionally free to air and wish that more people would take the same stand!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/11/2011 14:08:56

I'm happy that F1 is staying on terrestrial TV. I'm not willing to spend useful modelling funds on monthly subscriptions to extra channels. Freeview is quite adequate for me and my family. I do get hints form the kids that they'd like Disney Channel, but I shall resist as long as I'm able.

I prefer the BBC F1 coverage to the previous offering from ITV, with its constant advert breaks. However, I do find that I miss a lot of the races now, as I watch the evening higlights rather than the live races, and ITV's 23:00 highlights was a much better timeslot, after the kids are (usually) in bed. I know that recorders do exist, but I never remember to set them up in time!

I, too, own up to being in the 'why does anyone enjoy football' brigade. Always chosen (or relegated) to goalkeeper on the odd occasions I was able to join in at school. Each to their own, but I enjoy 'techie' sports, such as modelling, motor racing, and I partake in watersports, especially windsurfing.

But which is better.....Formula 1 or Football....there's only one way to find out.....a poll! (sorry, Harry).

Hear hear..

Soz to be a moaning mini, but I hate Football.. Don't get it, don't understand why peeps get sooo excited.. ??

WRC and BTCC for me, but i'd still rather make / fly a model than watch sports on telly..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Martin Harris on 28/11/2011 13:50:06:

At least I've found something to disagree with BEB on now although I do enjoy F1 as well!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/11/2011 13:52:32

Well, its a pretty mild disagreement Martin - you'll notice of course that I was not one of those who described football as "stupid"! I really just said it didn't interest me. Nor does golf, or tennis or water polo, or cricket....its quite a long list really!

So all we really disagree about is you find some sports mildly interesting and I don't find any interesting except motor racing. (I don't go along with the description of model flying as a sport - it might be for some folks but for me its a hobby!)

So, this level of disageement is hardly the stuff major sagas are made of is it

BEB

PS Its a bit like Wednesday - which someone described to me as a very "British" strike. I asked one of my colleagues if he was taking industrial action; "Oh yes," he said. So I asked him what he will do on the day. "Oh, I'll probably stay at home and do some marking"!! Such militancy takes your breath away doesn't it

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 28/11/2011 12:29:54:

Blimey DF, another one not interested in football. I had to show my wife this 'cos she thinks I am the only one who doesn't show any interest in the stupid game. Cheers mate

Geoff

Welcome Geoff! there are many more closet cases like us out there i am sure!

What is football now?

It doesn't have much to do with sport anymore, more like the Americans and Russians/Arabs playing "war games" using "football players" as their gamepieces or pawns.

How can a club be a town or city club when none of the players come from that town or city, and most of them probably not from the country.

The whole lot would be better offin the plastic sparkle of Las Vegas, or some other money grabbing place

Sorry to break the stereotype, but I love my football.

I used to have a season ticket for Elland Road, and have only stopped going to games recently as the young family meant time and money pressures made it too much of a hassle. When young Oliver is a bit older then he and I will be going somewhere together to watch.