Please kill off Bertie Barnstormer it's just not funny!

cameramanpilot

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

• 2 years later...

Don't mind Bertie, although I have noticed an annoying  increase in adverts, in this months a 2 page one appeared right on the middle of an article!!

I think the mag does cater for most tastes, I build, large(ish) models from plans, have a few ARTFs (Global RC and Glens Models stuff), have enjoyed EDF jets, I even have an electric glider; almost each month there is something in their for me. 

I would like to see a move away from Nigel Hawes's reviews of small depron jets and start including articles about larger EDF. 70-90mm, reviews of 90mm EDF jets (and not just FlyFly stuff) and possibly some ICDF or turbine EDF conversions.

I occasionally buy RC Jet international to try and see some of this, but larger EDF (90mm+) seems to fall in the crack between turbines and small foamy parkfly. I suggest that since larger EDF is a growing area, you might need to cover this. I'm sure Dusty and Timbo might be able to offer something here.

Edited By Ackers on 02/08/2010 08:44:02

Hmm not sure if i find him funny or not, but i do love the fact he speaks his mind you have to remember everyone is different and humor is like music, what you hate others will love to demand you remove him from the mag is touching on the selfish, Heck if you don't like him don't read it!! (i can't stand that ellison bloke so i dont read his stuff )
the mag has to try and cater for all, and lets face it we are a very varied bunch!! as well as making sure that they have enough coffers in the bank to keep running and if that means reviewing a few toys here and there well so be it!! the standards RCM+E keep are very high (look at other mags and you will see what i mean) and i for one as a subsciber would not want to see that slip nor the wide and sometimes wierd things they cover.   IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT !

OK, so the BB column was beginning to wear a little thin in the end.

However I always admired the irony of the anonymous writer in shouldering the comedic mantle of Resident Dinosaur - terrified of the rapid progress of our ridiculous hobby, and its heralding of the end of the Slimey Days of Yore.........

tim (beige -clad, sandal-wearing, vegetarian, electric aeromodeller.................)

Edited By Tim Hooper on 02/08/2010 13:03:52

I liked Bertie and co , I think due to the fact that everybody knows somebody a bit like him  . I saw Bertie and Old Man Gusset like a tweed clad James Bond and Q....with a slight aroma of castor oil and cellulose dope .

Edited By Rob on 02/08/2010 17:19:41

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 02/08/2010 17:19:39:
Posted by John Privett on 02/08/2010 13:40:56:
Posted by Tim Hooper on 02/08/2010 13:03:14:

...the anonymous writer

Anonymous?  Surely everybody knew (or at least thought they knew!) who it was?
 Not much of a secret by the end? 

I never knew who it was....  was it you David????

• 3 weeks later...
Generally I used to like to read BB. The Mag has to be all things to all modellers. I rarely read every page unless I am on holiday and I am in desperate need of a modelling fix. Otherwise I skip some articles and read those that are of interest. Its rare that I read about gliders and helis or contest results, but I recognise that they are of interest to some people and would not dare to suggest they be banned. On the whole I think the the editorial team manages to strike a good ballance for all.

My pet hate?  Arriving at page after page of adverts at the back of a magazine.  BB (that's Bertie, not our Bas) wasn't cutting edge humour but at least it gave a last bit of reading and the odd snigger instead of the sudden coming to an end that many magazines give you.  RCM&E's final picture goes a little way to softening the blow but it is nicer to have a final article of some sort.

Good point that Martin.

Bertie wasn't exactly my cup of tea either - it was all right and very occassionally it was very funny (especially when you'd get that feeling "I know someone in my club who's just like that"!). But most of the time it was just "OK".

But it did finish the mag off nicely and like you Martin I miss that aspect.

I remember years ago the Sunday Times mag always used to finish with a piece called "A Day in the Life of...." It was sort of a "blog" type thing in which someone "famous" would describe, diary style, a day in their life - from getting up to going to bed. It was very popular at the time - with many folks going to that page first.

Something like that might be interesting to read. A one page "typical weekend at the strip" or "in my workshop" type article - but from everyday club flyers - not a "European Champion" or top "display pilot" - just a ordinary modeller. It could be a different person each month just chatting about their everyday modelling experiences. Much like we do here on the forum. I'm sure there are a couple of dozen regulars on here that could write an interesting page on recent incidents/experiences/views and if the forum is anything to go by it would generate a healthy mailbag as well!

Just a thought - and maybe better than going out with a load af ads and a picture (excellent though many of the photos are!)

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 24/08/2010 13:35:16