Which Radio Would You Buy.....?

I've always used Futaba, but was initially taken by the Speccy 8, convinced I was missing out..
I got Paul a Dx6i for his boats, NOT for me to use on RFT UMX planes.. !!!
It feels cheap in the hand, compared to my 35mHz 7C.. Plus there have been endless issues with the 8's software...

So, even tho, i'll probaby end up with a Speccy when I finally go 2.4, it'll be for convenience not love..

Ideally I want an old FF9 with a speccy module... Just cant find an FF9..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 30/01/2012 23:30:19

I don't think telemetry is of any use to the pilot (apart from audio alarms) since s/he should not really be looking at the display. However, I act as pit crew to my son, and I rather like the idea mentioned in an ad in the December mag where you can get your Spektrum telemetry onto an iphone. So someone else would be able to watch that. Great idea, but please, we need it on Android as well since some of us have not entered the Apple reality distortion field. The idea would be that I could keep an eye on what's happening while my son takes care of the flying.

regards
John

John I have done this with a pilot using Jeti telemetry. He finds it very useful to have the mAh used from his flight pack to be read off to him at regular intervals. Alas so far Spektrum don't seem interested in making any such telemetry available on the DX8.

I've been using Spektrum now for quite a few years and have had no problems at all that I can think of. The DX8's issues all seem to have been sorted out now, and the good thing is, that if any more minor bugs are found, the update can be downloaded over the internet.
They have already and are still promising to add more features this way to. This seems to have slowed a little at the moment, hopefully because they are testing properly now before releasing anything.

Posted by John Olsen 1 on 31/01/2012 04:19:30:
I don't think telemetry is of any use to the pilot (apart from audio alarms) since s/he should not really be looking at the display. However, I act as pit crew to my son, and I rather like the idea mentioned in an ad in the December mag where you can get your Spektrum telemetry onto an iphone. So someone else would be able to watch that. Great idea, but please, we need it on Android as well since some of us have not entered the Apple reality distortion field. The idea would be that I could keep an eye on what's happening while my son takes care of the flying.

regards
John

If the manufacturers would put the display where it can easily be seen and in large enough figures then it's very easy to glance at, on my Multiplex tx's which have the display above the neck strap (and very clearly and concise) it's easy to glance down and get mah remaining and height etc. Also very easy for somebody else to see when it's in this location.

But if Spektrum did the same for Android I would be interested. Also Jeti do a new profi box which can read out the data separately from the Tx and multiplex do a remote display, but that has to be connected to the Tx.

Telemetry is becoming more mainstream, Jeti and Multiplex have ESCs for instance which provide feedback through the telemetry system, very neat.

I do wonder how useful telemetry is in the real world......looking down at your Tx whilst flying is never the best idea.....indeed its often something beginners need coaxing out of....

I think an audible alarm for low Rx battery would be an excellent addition however....

Personally I would like the option to download a set of flight data (speed, altitude, temperature etc etc) after the flight.....a unit with a USB connection so you could download all the data on to a handy laptop.....we all have one of those in our flight boxes after all.....don't we...??

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 01/02/2012 11:09:54:
I do wonder how useful telemetry is in the real world......looking down at your Tx whilst flying is never the best idea.....indeed its often something beginners need coaxing out of....

I think an audible alarm for low Rx battery would be an excellent addition however....

Personally I would like the option to download a set of flight data (speed, altitude, temperature etc etc) after the flight.....a unit with a USB connection so you could download all the data on to a handy laptop.....we all have one of those in our flight boxes after all.....don't we...??

Eagletree does just that. And yeas I carry a laptop, incase I want to do mre than a simple adjustment on the TX, also for all the data, calculations, spectrum analyser etc.

Carry it, but have never used it at the field

The futaba 18MX has telemetry but no sensors equiped yet - it is the FASSTer system that according to the blurb lets it do it. I don't have one so can't verify it, however I do wonder if the slightly earlier sets such as the 8FG have a rx capability for telemetry that hasn't been software unlocked yet...

in answer to the OP - I'd still have my 8FG, love it to bits.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 01/02/2012 11:09:54:

Have you been advising Multiplex's development bods, they've just launched their telemetry data logger and speech unit at the Nuremberg Expo !

The new Profi TX looks quite nice as well.

I love my 10C too Andy its been a great radio...does everything I want & lots more besides....

It replaced my ancient Fuby 9VHP radio (pre FF9!!!) & I was amazed at how "current" my old radio was in that the 20 year old 9VHP did more than the current FF7....anything less than a 10C would have been a step backwards....I remember it cost about the same in the early 90s that a 10C does now....maybe a bit more in fact....

Futaba are certainly getting a lot of thumbs up in this thread.....

The FF7 is a bit old school though and must be due for replacement, it is a bit limited compared to the competition and also the 8FG which is only a little more.

BTW I've used Futaba, Digifleet, Multiplex (35 and 2.4), Spektrum and FrSky 2.4 modules over the last 30 years and apart from my original 27 FM 4 channel Futaba set they have all been pretty trouble free and any "radio" crashes have been traced back to operator problems. Only issue I had with my FF6 was the naff tx battery it came with.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is the compatibility between older and newer technology from the same brand. Futaba used to be all FASST, but their low-end systems have started to use a new system with cheaper Rxs, and the two are not compatible. According to the RCM&E review, this FHSS system will be the norm on everything with less than 8 channels, the more expensive sets having FASST. Similarly JR are moving away from the Spektrum based DSM2 to their own (non-compatible) system. Spektrum have been very clever, and have improved their original DSM2 with DSMX, with forward and backward compatibility.

Futaba 8FG - as someone said earlier an increadibly versiltile and flexible Tx. Quite simply it does everything I could want. FASST is expandable - provided Futaba are willing to continue to invest in development which I think they will for the top-end market - it will have telemetry. Its already now at 14 channels!

I only use pukka Futaba Rx's - no clones. I'd rather have fewer receivers and be absolutely confident in them! They have a reputation for being expensive and I think that was initially justified - but these days there's not that much difference between Futaba and Speccky if you are buying the real thing.

Someone said earlier that the 8FG is not easiest to program. Well, in my view, yes and no. Its a bit different that's true, but once you've got your head around the system its actually very well structured and quite logical.

I do have a Spektrum DX6i which I use on the sim and for indoor BNF stuff. Its OK, its not really fair to compare its build quality with the 8FG because there's a big price difference. But, speaking purely personally, I don't like the "feel" of the Spektrum's programming - but its probably a case of what you're used to and I've always been Futaba for my main kit.

The bottom line - I've been using the 8FG since just after it came out, having what I guess was one of the first around, must be getting on for two years now, and in all that time I've never had a single "radio issue" - not one solitary glich, signal loss, nothing. Its just all worked perfectly everytime. Not everyone in my club can say that! And I don't think its anything special about me!

BEB (rushing off to touch several wooden items!)

Last year I re-entered RC flying after a break of 6 years. I was originally looking at the DX8 (originally I was Futaba, but their FASST receivers are just too darn expensive) - just because everyone had Spektrum at the field. However a fellow flier at the club said as I was starting on a clean slate, I should have a good look around and in particular at the Aurora 9.

So I had a good read of all the reviews, what everyone said on forums and I decided to go for the Aurora 9.

Its one purchase that I have absolutely no regrets!

What won me over? Well the prime concern I feel on any 2.4GHz system is reliability and total lifetime cost of the system (aka Receiver costs). For reliability, the Hitec 2.4GHz system reading through the forums, appear to have pretty much no complaints of unreliability. Now the receiver costs are very reasonable and there is now a good selection. There are two main types of receivers for Hitec, Optima and Minima. Optima have telemetry, Minima do not.

For a mid-range receiver, the Optima 7 has both basic receiver+flight battery telemetry, while having a Data port to allow the Sensor Station (for all the other sensors, such as RPM, Amps, etc) to be plugged in at a later point. These are around £37.99 singularly, or from a place like Servo Shop, a pack of 3 for £93 (£31 each!).

Now for the lighter aircraft, that your not bothered about telemetry, there is the Minima 6, which can be had for around £26.99 each - or £25 each if you buy 4 from Servo Shop. These receivers weight 6.5g, and unlike the Spektrum 'Park Flyer' receivers, these are full range units that you can use on the bigger stuff safely.

Compared to genuine Spektrum receivers, they are a bargain!

Onto the telemetry. I feel this is like a Sat Nav or a Mobile Phone. You really don't realise how useful it is until you have it!! Even though I always do a preflight check, it can be very hard to judge battery capacity - almost impossible in the air - unless you have telemetry. Its certainly saved one of my aircraft after I accidentally (after been interrupted talking to someone) put a discharged LiPo in my aircraft, instead of the charged pack. Its also reassuring to know on IC models when on the ground and air that your receiver pack is ok.

Finally there is also the superb SPC port. Basically this allows you to wire in your main Flight Pack (for electric aircraft), up to 35v, straight into the receiver. This does two things. Firstly as the receiver is powered directly from the flight pack, you eliminate brown-outs. As if you do manage to get your flight pack below 3.5v (Optima minimum voltage before it brown outs - or another way of saying it, turn off) - its likely toast anyway! Secondly, it allows the receiver to know the flight pack voltage and sends it back to the Aurora 9. This allows you to set a minimum voltage cut off for your Li-Po's, so you know before you pack is empty. I've seen a couple of guys down the field that all have said 'I don't need Telemetry, I can just time it' and then have to do a force, near deadstick landing of their beautifully made EDF models, as the Speed Controller has hit its low power cut off.

One word on those pointy red sticks. They do look like they will rip your thumb tips apart, but in use they are actually not that bad or sharp!

So that was my choice, and I would certainly check out the Aurora 9 if your looking for a TX in that price range. Ignore all the snobbery about it not being a Futaba and how Hitec used to be a cheap brand - the Aurora 9 is certainly not.

I believe the editor of this fine magazine is also a very happy Aurora 9 user! With all the radios he can choose from, it says it all.

I also forgot to mention one enormous thing. The Aurora 9 is a piece of cake to program with that big touch screen! Unlike other radios, where you have to poke buttons or turn rollers, if you want to change an setting, you just poke what you want to change on the screen!

Probably a good job really, as the manual, even though large, isn't one of the greatest.

Si.

Have you looked at JR XG8, it has 8 channels and is telemetry capable. It uses JR's ne system called DMSS and is a very modern looking transmitter. It has fixed wing, glider and helicopter mixes. It has uses a LiFe battery which is ideal for transmitters. Another good feature is that it can be upgraded by transferring the files onto a sd card.

A review can be found on YouTube (I would link it but I can't see the options using the iPad) the review is by rcmodelreviews

Edited By campbell on 02/02/2012 00:14:41

Have to add another vote for the Aurora.
After 20 years with Futaba, then another 10 flying JR, it was with some trepidation, countered by the reviews, that I went for the A9 - but like Simon I have been extremely pleased with it and anything not made clear in the manual is well covered here .

Edited By Colin Bernard on 02/02/2012 08:33:34

Like a lot of other people I have had a fair range of different radios over the years, started with Acoms then went to JR for a time then a brief excursion to Sanwa (1 day) even tried Digifleet before returning to JR for many years. When it came time to swap over to 2.4g I initially went for a Futaba 6EX but soon outgrew that and finally settled on a 10C which has never missed a beat in the time I have used it. I only have and use genuine Futaba receivers with it but would not swap it for the world, easy to program and a delight to use.

I bought the Futaba 10CG a couple of years ago. (I actually bought the seven channel one first but sent it back 'cos it wouldn't do the full-span glider stuff I wanted).
The 10CG is a superb quality bit if kit.
A bit complicated, but it can do everything I could ask of it and much, much more.
But I'm starting to wish I hadn't gone with Futaba now as they are not interested in getting into telemetry and I'd like to play with that.
And as others have said, once you decide what brand to buy into, you are rather tied.

Martyn - I would respond to the comment on Futaba and telemetry,

If you look at the website for there new 14 channel tx, they mention telemetry as a feature of the FASST upgrade (FASSTer). I think that while Futaba have not yet produced any telemetry equipment then they may well do in the near future.

Olly

My Futaba 7C 2.4GHz set has been perfectly reliable - as any modern
radio should be really.
As a mainly electric flyer, flight pack telemetry has great appeal, but to
stay with Futaba telemetry (when it arrives) will mean buying a new
upmarket Tx...
My old Hitec 35MHz has also been perfectly reliable & I like the way
Hitec have taken on the so-called 'big names' & won with their Aurora
system, which I may well switch to.