Which Radio Would You Buy.....?

This should be an interesting debate.....

A friend of mine is thinking of getting back into the hobby & we were discussing radios & which he should get (he last set was a Waltron 4/5 to give you an idea where he's coming from...)

Obviously 2.4GHz is the way forward but what should he get.....? He's likely to go for a mid-high range radio to future proof himself a little bit.

As a lifelong Futaba user (10C currently) I was going to point him at the 8FG but then I thought...hang on...why? I often look covetously at the Spekky DX8.....& I like the telemetry of the Aurora 9.

The truth is we are often guided down a particular route by our prejudices or past experiences.....or to ensure compatability with existing equipment but given a genuinely clean sheet of paper & a fresh start......what would you buy & why?

If I were starting from scratch I think I might go for the Aurora, though I'd be tempted to look at the Graupner HOTT system first.
Or more likely I'd stick with the cheaper route that I actually followed - second-hand FF9 with FrSky 2.4 module and receivers - it makes economic sense with the price of the receivers compared to any big brand, ad the FF9 has all the functions I'm ever likely to need.

when i look at a tx i have to keep in mind what i want to fly in the future, the dx8 did not really offer anything in the glider area so that was out the dx9 was not much of an upgrade from my dx7 and was very dated looking so that was out. never been a futaba man but that 10c did look very nice very modern, really liked it !!
aurora was well priced and well specified very ergonomic, multiplex are very good but i can not get on with the looks!!! if only JR did a more modern tx than the 9 or 12, and then the 11x zero got released, and for once it catered well for the glider side of things, that was it decision made!!

what i am trying to say is think about the future dont be swayed by advertising or follow the rest, a tx is a big investment and it should last you for very many years, its avery big decision!!

I'm very happy with the Spekky (Dx6i and now DX8) but I'd go for the Aurora. Very versatile, Rx's not too expensive, good brand name (still think my Optic 6 is far sturdier than the Spekkies) and large screen is a bonus. My question is, based on existing specs, who will win the race to add desirable upgrades to the DX8 and Aurora?

Pete

The problem these days with 2.4 is that you have to buy into a system, I'm a JR man and have been for the last 25 years, but I just dont think they have 2.4 quite right yet.

After a lot of research, I'm jumping ship to Futaba, but Spektrum have been doing 2.4 the longest (for model use).

Once upon a time you could use any std (non pcm) receiver with any Tx, so another thing to consider is the availability of cheap receivers.

Again Spektrum have this one, but you can buy after market Rx's for both Spektrum, and Futaba.

Still with my JR hat on, (Can't quite make the emotional break) I'd go with JR, and a bunch of Spektrum receivers.

Andy

I used to be a confirmed JR user until I discovered the delights of the Multiplex 2.4 system. I currently use Multiplex of course, but do have a Spektrum DX7 for my cheap and cheerful park flyers, but only because the Orange Rxs are so cheap! If I was starting over I would definately plumb for Multiplex, no question. Forget the looks, it's what it can do and how simple it is to programme that gets my vote. And no, I'm not German, don't wear sandals and definately don't hug trees!

I'm a Spektrum and Multiplex user same as Bill, but I'd say if he's going to go flying with you, then get a Futaba set then you can help him with the programming.

I've seen fliers with high end sets using a Y lead on the ailerons because they find it too difficult to set it up on separate channels, having somebody who's familar with the system would be a big help.

Alternatively you could get him to get a different make if you fancy trying/learning something different..............................................

Always flown JR, then JR/Spektrum (DSX9 which was faultless over 3 years). Made the awful and expensive mistake of buying one of the earlier DX8's and will personally never touch another Spektrum product again.

Now fly Futaba 8fg, which whilst not the easiest to program, its certainly the most flexible I've owned. Runs perfectly with cheaper Frsky/Orange Faast compatible rx's so I couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

Simon

What was wrong with the DX8 Simon? This issue seems to have passed me by. I was leaning towards the DX8 for my friend as it would give him access to the indoor & pre-assembled stuff which seem to favour the Spekky system....

Again I query why you would say Futaba is great & then not buy a Futaba Rx.....?

PS Again don't getr me wrong I have several clone Rs's but I'm interested in others thoughts & rationalisations for doing so....

Although I am a Futaba user, I would consider other brands.

It has been suggested that with 2.4 you are locked into a system, which is true to a limit. With both Spektrum and Futaba, it is possible to purchase 2nd tier Tx's.

Then ther is the issue of consumables such as servo leads. After market leads seem to be more freely available for JR and Futaba. Perhaps other brands take these leads?

I to like the concept of Telemetry, my own preference is for a stand alone such as Eagle Tree, Frsky and Quanam.

I personally have a 8fg, which is fine, though I think it falls short as many other Tx's do at present. The interface is via a Clunky rotating, touch sensitive dial. When i look at my wife's Samsung phone and my daughters Iphone, and a myriad (favourite word at present) of other computer interfaces, it falls short of current market state of the art. The interfaces on these devices are user friendly, being intuitive, using drag and tap operation. Simpler to use, fast and very clear.

So if I would have to recommend a Futaba model, it would be a touch screen model, although expensive and still falling short of the current state of the art. As for other brands I do not know them well enough, although, some models by certain manufacturer seems to have a small number of issues, that is by observation of a small number within the club that I am a member.

The strange thing is, the number of models crashing mysteriously does not seem to diminish on 2.4. Enough for one of out club members to go back to 35, and still seems to be jinxed.

Posted by Erfolg on 30/01/2012 17:27:12:

The strange thing is, the number of models crashing mysteriously does not seem to diminish on 2.4. Enough for one of out club members to go back to 35, and still seems to be jinxed.

Ah..Erfolg..as they say about cars the main problem is the Nut that holds the wheel....

Confirmed Futaba man....went thru, very very briefly, a spektrum stage but was not impressed (6i and 7). I have 2 Futaba FF7's with FrSky hack module in both...no problems with the system and the FF7 covers the multiple sins i fly.
In the end its all personal choice, how it fits and feels in your hands...does it do what you want it to do now and perhaps if you go onto other types of flying. I fly fixed wingers with flaps and retracts, even had tailerons and the FF7 worked with these, can even fly helis toooo.
That t'wer my tuppence worth.

Because its fantastic has given me excellant service does everything I want it to,looks good feels good,and its an excellant piece of kit.Ive had other makes purchased new,and lost aeroplanes with there failures so for me its been excellant value for money and has no side effects whatsoever,so it has to be the Futaba 8 FG me lord.

Problems with my DX8 included

1) Random brown outs (had been perfect set ups for over 2 years with DSX9)
2) Uncommanded inputs due to faulty pots (bad news on flybarless heli)
3) Intermittant range problems

(Radio sent back twice at this point)

Another few unexplained crashes and I called it quits. Had it serviced again and then sold it. 3 months later, another issue regarding compatability with Ar6200's rx's and the DX8, which whilst talked about had never been confirmed by Spektrum until that point. Guess what rx a few of my heli's and planes had in )but too late then). A product which was not properly tested and the consumer pays the price. There were 6 or 7 DX8's at my field, they all went back at some point for one or more of the problems I had. Some stuck with it and the problems now seem to be sorted, but I lost confidence and for a 3-4 month period (after wrecking some of my favourite models) I completely lost interest in flying.

With regards to the Futaba rx's, I have a few of them in my most expensive models, but they are quite expensive compared to the alternatives. As I fly of lot of different models it would be too expensive to fit Futaba to everything, so the new 4 and 6 channel Frsky rx's are perfect.

Cheers,

Simon

Steve tell your mate that I still have a Waltron 4/5

Currently using a DX8 and have had no issues with it whatsoever (Yet!)
I am concerned however at all the issues other people have had and I think Spektrum really shot themselves in the foot with the problems.

I really like it's feel, weight and how easy and intuitive the programming is.
I'm yet to be convinced that the telemetry is useful except for maybe monitoring something you need to alarm like the state of a battery. I find it impossible to read the telemetry while flying, and holding the Tx up for someone else to read is really awkward.

The huge range of receivers available and compatibility with "bind n fly" etc is a real plus too.