NOT scaled up plane.. Quite the opposite.. !

Cyclicscooby

How many times have you seen (or owned) a huge model plane, and thought "I reckon I could fit in that and fly it..! "... ?? Cant be just me..?!

Well this bloke HADN'T seen a huge model plane, but thought he could fit anyway.. !!

I reckon its no more than a 50-66% scale MODEL jet with a super-size canopy..

He flies it like a model too... !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 29/02/2012 15:05:35

Advert

The CriCri (Cricket) design has been around for donkeys years (I remember marvelling at one at Cranfield in the early 80s) and they have been used by aerobatic display teams on many occasions.

There's at least one gas turbine powered one with a pair of Olympus engines (AMT not RR) and there's even been an EP version for the bearded sandal wearers..

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/02/2012 15:29:20

I saw the one that been converted to RC, which confused the issue somewhat..

Chicken and Egg scenario..

Was it an RC plane made real, or a real plane made RC... !?!?!

I remember seeing a plane take off from a shogun way back when I was a kid, maybe on Noel Edmunds show?.. Didn't realise it was the same thing.. !

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 03/03/2012 04:01:25

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 03/03/2012 04:02:22

as the real one is only some 16ft in span......some years ago-a one was built for a large model show etc...and to qualify as a model-they had to shorten the wings by a couple of inches...also there was a one in france that would be flown in to the air shows-the pilot would land-get out c/w a TX....do a radio controlled display and then land- wave to the crowd-climb back in-take off and away....the one in the photo(shogun)...i saw at elvington...a few years ago---i was talking to the pilot(tim)...he was telling me when the shogun got up to 60 mph..they would release him......all good stuff....

ken anderson ne..1 cri-cri dept....

The World's smallest plane is the Stitts Baby Bird. This aircraft has a wing span of 6 ft 3 inches and was only flown once.

I design a model of it to quarter scale (18 3/4" span) but I couldn't get it to take off.

I tried to find it on You Tube but no film of any of the Stits aircraft could be found.

My 1/4 scale model of the Stits Baby Bird worlds smallest.

Intriguing! According to the present owner's website it actually flew 35 times!

From the figures on the site, with the assumption of a 3 foot wing chord, the wing loading would be in the region of 22 lbs/sq ft which is a lot less than I'd have guessed so what seemed impossible on first sight makes a little more sense...

What a shame yours didn't fly - have you ever thought of trying again?

When I said that it ponly flew once I was going by the film of the aircraft making its first flight.

I have thought about trying again but I think that 1/3rd scale might be more practical. all of 2 feet 1" span. Do you think it would be elligible for the LMA?teeth 2

By the way, any one who want to try a Baby Bird, my 3 view scale drawings are available from SAMs models.

This thread has made me wonder aboiut Stitts first "world's Smallest" built in the very ealry 50s or possibly late 40s. I must look into that. I did a couple of control line versions that flew OK.

Peter,

There is a clip of it flying on this video, from 35 secs. Well I think its the one as the fin is a different shape to yours? Nope they are calling it the Sky Baby. And its a Bipe! durrr

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/03/2012 11:41:30

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/03/2012 11:42:15

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/03/2012 11:43:45