Ask..Peter Miller

Posted by THOMAS CUMMINGS on 14/10/2017 00:02:38:

Posted by kc on 13/10/2017 18:01:19:

The Harmony plan and all RCME, Radio Modeller, Traplet etc plans should be now be available from Sarik Hobbies

Thanks for the link but I am unable to find the plans section of their website!

Since Sarik took over the Traplet plans catalog quite recently their website has not been updated yet. You have to phone them - number on their home page.

That set up looks a bit over the top Thomas, if you don't mind me saying so (unless you have scaled it up somewhat).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/10/2017 07:49:52

Advert

Thomas

I never mind what people do with my plans. Lots have been converted to electric including a few Ballerinas.

Just don't ask ME to do that.

Javing said that I have just build an Easter Eagle for a friend. That has electric power.The original had a Speed 600. This one has the power train from Kitehawk and the performance is incredible. It climbs to a dot in the sky in much less than half a minute and then just floats around.

This model really proved my theory about low aspect ratio wings for gliders

easter eagle mk3.jpg

Piers.

Look at his figures. That model is miles bigger than the original which had a .20 in it and weighed about 3 lbs

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/10/2017 08:14:04

Peter

"...my theory about low aspect ratio wings for gliders."

Interesting and more or less agrees with my own findings.

My only caveat is that it only applies to smaller lighter planes both gliders and power!

My super light (7.3 oz per sq ft) electric Depron Ballerina (with retracts but no folding prop) does a pretty job as a glider and thermals well too!

Simon:

I went to a huge vintage glider rally some years ago at Tibbenham. IT was a lovely day and there was one massive thermal with a whole mass of high performance gliders going up. Minimoas and other really top class aircraft including the first ever glass ship.

And right at the top and going up faster than the rest was...A Sedberg, also known as "The barge"

Fly Boy.

You know that it is time to come down when your neck locks in the "up"! positionlaugh

Just had a good afternoon flying and EE was there and coping with a stiff, gusty breeze.

Yes, it can be a swine. Don't ask how I know

But a few tips. Depending on the transmitter start off with either "delta wing" or "elevons". depending on what the transmitter calls them

This allows you to use the aileron stick for steering rather than the V tailset up.

Thye other thing. You may find that while you can get the elevators working the right way you can't get the rudders working.

In this case swap the servos over so that the right servo is on the aileron socket on the Tx and the left one is on the elevator socket. or vice versa

Even having recently set up the Kitehark and got it working on my very old Dx7.and then setting up EE which is the same we had to swap them over for the The new owner who has a DX7S and that was different. I can't comment on the DX6

I hope that this will help.

It took him a while to actually grasp how a V tail works.

If it is any consolation.I have set up several V tails on old Futaba FF8 etc and on the Spektrum

I still get them wrong with embarrassing results such as trying to fly with them reversed. Ending up in a tree, Having to temporarily fly on the rudder stick etc.

He also found that exponential made the model nicer to fly.

Thanks very much Peter on help setting up the vee tail. Will try again on my Spectrum. Failing that I will revert to my trusty old Futaba still on 35Mhs lol. Exellent pictures from the Möbius, on the EasterEagle, my wife thought it was of the wide prairies in the USA. We can only see the tail of the EE, but as we know she is a lovely bird. Thanks, bird relates to model and wifey.

Edited By fly boy3 on 17/10/2017 21:26:44

• 2 weeks later...

Alan Wright who has the Easter Eagle has had a 40 minute flight and only uised power for 6 minutes.

Then on Friday he was flying when he was on the end of the attentions of a buzzard. His Mobius video camera caught some great shots.

close encounter with a buzzard (1).jpg

dogfight with a buzzard (1).jpg

In the second shot Alan was already in a steep dive to get away from a possible attack.

Hi BBC (Forgive me if I don't type your full monicka, I am lazy!!)

As the largest engine that I use is a .52 you will need to enlarge any plan. 25% sounds pretty reasonable.

If you want something that is aerobatic and predictable and really enjoyable Ballerina is a great choice. Still my favourite model.

If you want something quite a lot faster you could go for Super Marauder. THat has a .52 FS in it and is my windy weather model.

Tell what you ideal layout is and I might have another suggestion

Have fun

• 1 month later...

hello Mr Miller,

I tried to find out which airfoil you have used for the grumpy tigercub as I maybe want to cut the ribs with my homemade CNC router. I think I have found the corresponding airfoil. Is it correct that you have used NACA2413 for the tigercub? Thanks in advance for your answer!

With kind regards,
Richard

Posted by rgarde on 12/12/2017 16:20:52:

hello Mr Miller,

I tried to find out which airfoil you have used for the grumpy tigercub as I maybe want to cut the ribs with my homemade CNC router. I think I have found the corresponding airfoil. Is it correct that you have used NACA2413 for the tigercub? Thanks in advance for your answer!

With kind regards,
Richard

No formality here. I respond to Peter

Yes, you are spot on NACA2413 Is the correct section. I just checked on my compufoil to make sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony

You have got me completely puzzled

A) I cant find any article with that title in the last four issues of RCM&E And I certainly have not had an article published since October 2017

B) I can't find any record of ever having used that title in article that I have written over the years although the name could have been changed by an editor.