Ask..Peter Miller

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Well I can say that Ballerina works really well on a 3S battery and a 3541 1070 motor. Check out the specs etc on 4-Max.

Put Ballerina in as a seqarch and you will find several builds with various valuable ideas for electric conversion.

I haven't seen a Oodallay conversion although there may be.

One of our club members has an i.c AND an electric one

Posted by Peter Miller on 17/08/2020 08:37:06:

He is highly amused because people turn up there with state of the art high aspect ratio sailplanes, attempt to fly them, say "There is no lift!" and go home while the EE stays up for ages on a gnats belch of lift.

This proves my reasoning that all the big soarers such as vultures, eagles, condors etc have low aspect ratio wings.

Peter, I've just found this thread, so apologies for bringing up your post from August. The difference between wing planforms is about optimisation for best minimum sink and best glide ratio. Sea birds tend to do a lot of dynamic soaring, soaring waves etc., so they are primarily interested in glide angle for getting places with minimum effort, whereas the vultures, eagles and condors are thermal soarers which tend to stay in one thermal until they have plenty of height to move to another, so wing area is what matters to them.

Full-size sailplanes have evolved over the years from virtually downwind-only machines with limited penetration to the 60:1 glide angle machines of today which fly triangles and speed tasks, so they sacrifice thermalling performance for speed and range. Usually older gliders will be top of the stack on a marginal day as they can turn tighter and climb faster.

Hi Robin

I have often told the story of when I went to the huge international vintage glider rally at Tibenham some years ago,

A huge thermal came through ona parfectalmost flat calm day. This thermal was full of all the great gliders, Minimoas, Ronsperbers etc. There must have been 18 plus famous glider going up and right athe top, going upfaster than allthe rest was a Sedberg. That is right. the famous "barge"

That proved my reasoning for the Easter Eagles. They work!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 31/12/2018 at 21:33, Andy Hall said:

Hi, back in 1992, I built 3 models from Radio Modeller plans....

- Tequila Sunrise
- Aztec Two Step
- Gigolo

I know the first two were by yourself but the Gigolo was by Dave Ridgway. Is Dave still active in RC planes ? I'm building a new Gigolo, was thinking of making electric and would love some tips......

Hi,

Well.... the Gigolo got chewed on by the cat towards the end of the build, the Aztec Two Step is a work in progress but the Tequila Sunrise is done and ready to go.

Weighs in at 785g (27.7oz) ready to fly. Might add a small 3D printed radial engine inside the cowl and just need to fine adjust the battery position for balance and then........... I'm too nervous about flying it. Not to mention that I've not really flown anything particularly successfully !!

20230410_161314.jpg

• Like 1