Ask..Peter Miller

Advert

I hate to admit it but with increasing years and rapidly decreasing energy I find that a back pack with a tranny and three batteries and a model is all that I really want to manage on the long, gradual hill to the flying site so I will be doing more electric designs these days.

Anyway, it is different ans I really need different things to keep the interest gloing. Like the MAK 15 MP!!!!

I had noticed that.

About a year or more ago I was given an Efluite Sport Cub by a friend. Mainly to persuade me to come flying during the week.

I found the Sport Cub was great. IT does loops, rolls, inverted, Four Point Rolls. In fact Ican throw it round the sky almost like The Ohmen but not as aerobatic.

I have a stock of 1300 and 2200 batteries and that suits me.

Larger batteries do seem to get expensive

Especially when you do this to them dscf4122.jpg

Esspecially when you do this to them. NOT MINE I ASSURE YOU!!

However much some are opposed to electric power systems, they are now used by a significant number of people.

Peter has hit the nail on the head for many electric enthusiast, that is the primarily Lipo costs. above a certain capacity. Although this high cost threshold has moved ever higher in the last 10 years

Now, it does make a lot of sense for Peter to consider how his models can be powered by either type of power unit.

One of the more significant aspects of using electric power is the very low vibration levels. At a practical level, where it is most prudent to use a servo that is known for being robust, particularly the track and pick up when IC powered. Non of the bits and pieces see often most damaging forces, finding more common of the garden Servos acceptable.

Keep up the IC or electric designs Peter.

Yes, the larger batteries are disproportionately more expensive. The 2200 or 3000 mAh size seem to be something of a sweet spot. Perhaps because they are popular and such high volumes are made and sold.

A good point Erfolg, at this small size you can achieve a useful reduction in all up weight through slightly pared down structure and going down a size with servo choices.

Large lipo batteries ?, I don't buy them.

Buy the standard size 3s packs (1500 -2200mAh) and series and/or parallel connect them to get the required capacity and voltage.

It can involve a few 'additional' connections and they may take up a little more room, but in the event of a cell failing you only have to replace a single 3s. not a whole 6s or larger.

Similar could be done for 2s packs, (2s-4s-6s-8s-10s etc).

Ray. Always a cheapskate wink

• 3 months later...
Hi, back in 1992, I built 3 models from Radio Modeller plans....

- Tequila Sunrise
- Aztec Two Step
- Gigolo

I know the first two were by yourself but the Gigolo was by Dave Ridgway. Is Dave still active in RC planes ? I'm building a new Gigolo, was thinking of making electric and would love some tips......

Hi Andy.

Not sure if Dave is still active, people come and go in this hobby,

I don't know Gigolo so can't comment.

Tequila Sunrise was was a nice little modexl but not for beginners. I later did an enlarged version called "Miss Lizzy" which was nice but not for learning on.

Aztec Two STep was a hairy little beast at the best of times.

I am only just getting into electric power myself. The best advice that I can give you is talk to George at 4-Max (See adverts) Tell him the size and weaight etc and he will give you the best combination of power batteries etc.

If you haven't actually flown before I would advise joining a club. You can learn by yourself but it will be a harder job and along the way you will learn how to repair models. Trust me on this, I went that way many years ago.

IF you are going to learn on your own you need a model that will fly itself when you take your fingers off the sticks.

There was a foamie called "The Apprentice" that had abuilt in stabilization system that really worked. I have seen a novice fly one without any help. He even landed better than I normally do!!

Not sure if you can still get them though.

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. I vaguely remember Gigolo from the RM plan. It does look like a hairy little beast, as Peter puts it and probably more so than the Aztec two-step. (an electrified version of that is still on my build list!).

Be sure to post a picture of it when you get it finished Andy, preferably before the first flight devil!

Cheers.
I think my problem is that I love the building stage (from plans) and not really too fussed about the flying.

About 13 years ago I built a GWS Spitfire from a purchased kit. Painted it up and admired it.
I'd raced RC cars for 20 years so how difficult could flying be (I thought!!)
Got a few flights out of it, usually resulting in getting the glue out, until one day I was banking left to bring it back to me and it just slipped out of the sky and buried it's nose in the ground.
Back to building.....

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter, My much used Ballerina has been recovered but is fuel soaked to the point I fear it's demise is close. Thinking of a 115% version as I have a 91 FS engine that is looking for a home, do you have Ballerina plan as pdf probably the best way to get a plan printed. Can't not have a Ballerina in the hangar it's my favourite model by far.

Paul.

By the way Chris, have you ever tried flying with the Roberts handle?

I had one many years ago and used it for one flight.

Many years ago we had a thriving control line club and we used to do a lot of displays with throttleed models.

b-17 1.jpg

We used to use a much better handle which was easy to make and use.

We had a bowden cable (bicycle brake cable) attached to the normal control line handle.

The other end goes to a handle with a simple ring for your forefinger to operate the throttle.The Roberts bellcrank is fine but one can simplify that as well.

Super Troopplan has the simplified bellcrank that works perfectly

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/01/2020 18:37:28

Hi Peter,

it's many years since I used a Roberts handle, my brother found it in some modelling stuff I'd left in the UK and sent it out to me in NZ. I've read the Super Trooper article and I'll give your system a go. The problem with the Roberts handle is that it's rather unwieldy! Many thanks for the plan, my email is [email protected].

I used to belong to Finchley DMAC, there was a wonderful guy called Charlie Crawley who regularly flew two planes at once at displays using Roberts handles. He also had another handle mounted on a strap on helmet so that he could fly 3 at once, I only saw this amazing spectacle a few times. The helmet controlled plane was unthrottled and he used the two Roberts handles to keep the other two planes in pace with it, an amazing skill! This was back in the 70's