Ask..Peter Miller

Peter, My Red Tailed Oodalally is ready for a maiden. I measured out from the fuslage 3/4in and made a balance mark at 2-7/8 (about 74mm) back from the leading edge of the wing. Does this sound about right? Mine came out to 3lb 12-1/4oz A.U.W. and is powered by a OS Max .25FX. Oh, and I built it with removable tail feathers, just because I could.

Steveood4.jpg

Thanks for the answers and the kind words. I was eyeballing the Harlequin until I seen the Oodalally and may build it at a later date. For now I have to wait for warmer weather and the snow to go away to maiden the red tailed Oodalally. I'm also looking at Peter's Lady Samantha in the Traplet site as a "Must Build" Thanks again.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter, Been flying oodalaly for over six months now, what a fantastic little plane! It has become my most flown model recently. I have had the plan enlarged by 50%, should give a wingspan of 80 inches. Apart from the obvious things like using different wood sizes and so forth, can you see any problems with enlarging to this size? If I can keep the weight to about 10 lb, the wing loading should be close to 20 oz/ft. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard.

Hi Richard.

I am glad to hear that you like Oodalally so much. I loved mine until some control horns that had become brittle snapped.

I can see no problems with enlarging the plan.

A bit of care with wood sizes would not increase the weight too much. When it comes to spars I usually work on the cross sectionn. For example, 1/4 sq has 16 square 1/16" in the cross section. If you used 3/8" sq (1 1/2 time the size you end up with 36 1/16"s in the cross section, over twice as many. I might be tempted to go to 1/4" X 3/8" which would be 24 1/16" which is of course 1 1/2 times the size. I would probably put them on edge to get the strength in the bending plane.

Let us know how you get on with the bigger version.

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

I read an article in an other magazine about the price and availability of acetone. Most French supermarkets sell it in 1 litre plastic bottles quite cheaply. So if you know someone who is going over there! Normally in the DIY or household cleaner sections.

Regards

Bob

• 1 year later...

WEll, the Peyret Mauboussin French 1930s light plane is just waiting for the flyin shots. See the build blog.

I am now doing another of my little air racers for another (The only other now) magazine.

Then I have the plans ready to start building for a low wing Harkequin size model. Open cockpit, a bit Turbulentish for 40 four strokes for RCM&E

Love my Harlequin model. It seems like a big model for an SC 32 but goes like stink, floats like a feather, and climbs near vertical forever. Lovely for aerobatics, inspires confidence.

Only problem I have is getting it down in our field without overrunning into the long grass. I'm thinking of making a new wing with flaps. Would you have any recommendation for size of ailerons and flaps Peter?

I like the sound of the low wing version

Glad you like Harlequin so much. I loved mine. Had it for years. Used it for training and had to repair it twice. Well, once. gave up on the second time. Partly my fault. I didn't take over high enough.

Light model, plenty of wing area and it will fly happily on the .32

If you want to go with a flapped wing increase the control surfaces to 2" wide amd make half of them flap and hal aileron. Birng the flaps down to about50 degrees or more. I don't know what the trim change will be.

I have a model called White Lightning with that sort of flap proportions. That will slow right down. AS a matter of interest, White lightning is heavier than harlequin and flies well on a .32.

The low wing harlquin, Called Columbine, will be a faction smaller in span and is a bit Turbulentish or possibly has Fly Baby influence..

As soon as I finish the current device I will be working on that.

I cannot wait for the Columbine to be published! Looks like the ideal plane for everyday flying if it flies as well as the Harlequin. Fly Baby looks would be nice......

( for those like me who wondered why Peter called it Columbine when nowadays this conjures up visions of a massacre, this is the explanation from Wikipedia......" Columbine (in Italian, Colombina) is a stock character in the Commedia dell'arte, Harlequin's mistress " )

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter, without boring you all to death, I'm an ancient returning modeller, not flown for 10 years plus, not built for even longer (!), fascinated with aircraft with lots of wings & string with a big fan on the front! Having become totally captivated with your Westland Wagtail, but not having a clue about building in / flying foam, I really don't know where to start. Where can I best obtain info on forming/moulding/shaping/etc. foam? I've found one book on using foam, but it's largely about large models & carving block form & built up wing use, very little in rolling foam or anything much about your build method for the Wagtail. Can you please point me in the best direction? Many thanks,

Jeff Langley.

Hi Jeff. Personally I am too lazy to build models with lots of wings and string. A couple of wings on a cabin is acceptable.

AS a result of this I have never, ever designed and built a Westland Wagtail.

AS for using foam, I don't even use shaving foam preferring a mechanical lawn mower.

Sorry it must be someone else

• 2 months later...

For Peter Miller. I hope i ve got this right, i wanted to build a Tipsy Junior, the one with the in line engine, not the one with the Jap engine, which i have the original plans for and the magazine. At the time i had a cox .01 td but unfortunately it flew away, so it was never built. I have an os26 4 stroke spare at the moment, which came out of the David Boddington cap230, not built as his plans, not requiring an irvine 40 with a couple of ounces in the nose for the wife and kids, in fact it needed a tiny bit of lead at the tail, which flew well from grass and its all round performance was pretty good, its vertical performance was not indefinate, but i'm not sure if the real one was, either. It's demise was caused by being destracted by a micro light, which resulted in the model flying in to the sun and the result was a very similar picture to David's prototype in scale aircraft.

INow back to the point, i found your article for the 44" version, where you suggest using a 26 to 30 4 stroke, but no matter how many times i try, the plan doesn't seem to be available, just 2 control liners and a big one. I could enlarge the plans for the small one to 44" but i'm not sure if the 4 stroke would actually fit inside the cowl. Measurements say it might, so my question is, has anybody tried to fit a 4 stroke in, because i really hate to see a silencer sticking out the side, but equally, i'm not too keen on having the rocker cover being polished on a hard runway with a nose over. I think in your article you said you needed a bit of nose weight and with a 4 stroke, it shouldn't be required. I'm basing this on the fact the the flair atilla with an os 15 needed nose weight which is about the same size, similar wing area and not carrying 2 very heavy plastic wheels and at a guess, your wing section is probably something similar. So i would just like to ask if your plans would be suitable for my purpose if they were available? Thanks, Geoff

Sorry for txhe delay. for some reason this thread has lost its bookmark!!

Yes, The 30FS will go in the cowl completely with space ro spare.

They usually make theplan available later but Isee that txhere is no plan number on this one.

I could get get a copy done of my copy of the magazine plan in the next week or so.